Paris police employee stabs four people to death in force HQ, then is shot

snoop1130

Paris police employee stabs four people to death in force HQ, then is shot

By Simon Carraud, Sudip Kar-Gupta

800_56a70c5375e2fdf.png

PARIS (Reuters) - An administration worker with Paris police killed four people in a knife attack at the force’s headquarters in central Paris on Thursday before he was shot dead by an officer, police officials said.

The assailant’s motive was not immediately clear. The attack took place in the heart of the French capital, near to the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral.

The area around the police headquarters was sealed off and the nearest metro station was shut for security reasons, the transport authority said.

“We do not know his motives, we do not know why this colleague has done this,” Loic Travers, local head of the Alliance police union, told BFM TV.

One person was initially reported dead and two police sources said later that the death toll had risen to four, not including the attacker.

“The person behind the attack has been shot (dead) by another colleague,” Travers said.

President Emmanuel Macron is to visit the headquarters and Prime Minister Edouard Philippe and Interior Minister Philippe Castaner are at the site.

A police spokesman said he had no comment on the incident.

An official at the Paris prosecutor’s office said its anti-terrorist unit had not yet been called upon to investigate.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-03

1 minute ago, animalmagic said:

I follow a system of religious belief that has never, to the best of my knowledge, allowed or ignored its adherents' use of their position and power to rape and abuse innocent children.  Neither has it committed or advocated acts of murder and mayhem against unarmed civilians because they believe in a different religious system.  Nor has it asked that any of its followers die or kill others in its name.

I freely admit that we don't have the beautiful and expensive churches, temples and mosques; and the singing and chanting can be quite relaxing, but that is a small price to pay.

On balance, Atheism isn't all that bad.  Perhaps Atheism should be called the religion of peace?

There isn't a book of Atheism so it can't be a religion. Religions are all about controlling the masses. Does atheism have priests controlling the followers of atheism?

Nice try but no cigar.

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's going to cause a problem for anyone working with those of a certain religious ideology. Who's going to want to work with them after this?

No doubt the authorities will say it wasn't his religion, but.................

I have no such worries or problems. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There isn't a book of Atheism so it can't be a religion. Religions are all about controlling the masses. Does atheism have priests controlling the followers of atheism?

Nice try but no cigar.

The Books of the Bible were decided upon a few hundred years after Christ's life; several books/gospels have since been discovered that were not included.  

Why does Atheism need priests/imams/etc to control its followers when they do not commit the crimes in the name of their religion that we are discussing here .

Lighting my cigar now!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

I follow a system of religious belief that has never, to the best of my knowledge, allowed or ignored its adherents' use of their position and power to rape and abuse innocent children.  Neither has it committed or advocated acts of murder and mayhem against unarmed civilians because they believe in a different religious system.  Nor has it asked that any of its followers die or kill others in its name.

I freely admit that we don't have the beautiful and expensive churches, temples and mosques; and the singing and chanting can be quite relaxing, but that is a small price to pay.

On balance, Atheism isn't all that bad.  Perhaps Atheism should be called the religion of peace?

Only if you forget the likes of Chairman Mao and Josef Stalin.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Only if you forget the likes of Chairman Mao and Josef Stalin.

Quite true re Mao.  But Stalin was raised as Greek Orthodox and spent 5 years in a seminary.  I didn't say atheists were perfect; simply trying to highlight the atrocities committed in the name of religion.  Your two quoted characters didn't seem to commit murder and abuse on an industrial scale in the name of religion but politics and power.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Quite true re Mao.  But Stalin was raised as Greek Orthodox and spent 5 years in a seminary.  I didn't say atheists were perfect; simply trying to highlight the atrocities committed in the name of religion.  Your two quoted characters didn't seem to commit murder and abuse on an industrial scale in the name of religion but politics and power.

56 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

To some, power IS a religion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.... For sure he won't kill any more people.

He will be seen as a martyr, and will encourage others to do the same though unfortunately.

Edited by lust
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If I invented a chocolate bar that made 0.001 % of the eaters kill people, they would ban it, yet our politicians pander to this cult purely to get the vote

Like smoking?

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, katana said:

A deaf civilian police worker who had recently converted to Islam was shot dead in Paris today after murdering four colleagues with a ceramic knife following a 'dispute over working with female colleagues'.
[He] had recently been reprimanded by his female boss over his refusal to interact with women, Actu17 reported.
His wife, Iham, was arrested, as an investigating source said that the nature of Harpon's attack corresponded with similar ones carried out by terrorists affiliated to Islamic State and Al-Qaeda...

Continued: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7533375/Knifeman-attacks-police-officers-Paris-police-station.html

Meanwhile in the UK none of the TV or radio media outlets mention his conversion to Islam, or the dispute over women workers. All they say is his motive is unknown, and he was just an ordinary employee who appeared to pose no threat. 

I wonder why the UK broadcast media are so reluctant to link these attacks and other atrocities to Islam. I suppose they think it would be too inflammatory. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/4/2019 at 4:28 PM, animalmagic said:

The Books of the Bible were decided upon a few hundred years after Christ's life; several books/gospels have since been discovered that were not included.  

Why does Atheism need priests/imams/etc to control its followers when they do not commit the crimes in the name of their religion that we are discussing here .

Lighting my cigar now!

LOL. If it doesn't have priests/imams/etc it's not a religion.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:18 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

The Chinese called the book of Atheism the 'Little red book'

Stalin called his priests of atheism  'commissars'

Back on topic, stabbings in Paris, stabbings in Manchester,

Islam does seem to be a religion the west would be better without.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. If it doesn't have priests/imams/etc it's not a religion.

Wikipedia disagrees -

Religion is a social-cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, morals, worldviews, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations, that relates humanity to supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual elements. However, there is no scholarly consensus over what precisely constitutes a religion.
Different religions may or may not contain various elements ranging from the divine, sacred things, faith, a supernatural being or supernatural beings or "some sort of ultimacy and transcendence that will provide norms and power for the rest of life". Religious practices may include rituals, sermons, commemoration …

Collins English Dictionary disagrees - 

Religion is belief in a god or gods and the activities that are connected with this belief, such as praying or worshipping in a building such as a church or temple.

From the above definitions, and several others that I can't be bothered to quote, it would seem that priests/imams/etc are not necessary for a belief system to be defined as religion.

Perhaps now we can say that if a belief system HAS priests/imams/etc it is NOT a religion?