The week that was in Thailand news: Feeling more and more like a pint of Guinness

rooster59

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

If you don't own your own or at least rent some transportation, travel in Thailand is a dreary and often antagonizing experience. What a joy it is to have the keys in your pocket so you can just say. Gotta go now, la gon, I'm gone.

Yeh, I only took the bus because I left Mrs R with the car. Next time she can drive and I will be the outrider on my bike. Then I can ride back to Bangkok. 

If there is a next time, that is. 

Rooster

• Like 2

Rooster,

From what I read it appears that you are not a fan of Thai Food and prefer USA food.  I happen to agree with you and would suggest that instead of McDonalds you switch to a Whopper at Burger King.

I am in agreement with you even when I am doing the cooking.  A thick properly marbled steak cooked on a Cast Iron Fry Pan, properly prepared veal which I do not find in Thailand and fresh large Artichokes are what I cooked on my last trip to the USA.

I am a bit older but have not given up traveling as my wife and I are taking a trip next spring to India.  I do agree that the “getting a Visa game” is a pain.

6 hours ago, HappyinNE said:

Rooster,

From what I read it appears that you are not a fan of Thai Food and prefer USA food.  I happen to agree with you and would suggest that instead of McDonalds you switch to a Whopper at Burger King.

I am in agreement with you even when I am doing the cooking.  A thick properly marbled steak cooked on a Cast Iron Fry Pan, properly prepared veal which I do not find in Thailand and fresh large Artichokes are what I cooked on my last trip to the USA.

I am a bit older but have not given up traveling as my wife and I are taking a trip next spring to India.  I do agree that the “getting a Visa game” is a pain.

Seconded. I had a crispy chicken burger at BK and it was surprisingly decent. Obviously avoid the busy BKs in tourist areas where possible though.

Ouch! I know exactly what you mean about village family life and gai baan too!!. I had a nice house built 5 years ago. I live there only part time as I also still have a home in Europe. Always when I return first days of much cleaning and tidying needed, inside and out. Even though my wife ( if not accompanying me) and her sister live there and I'm always told that Dad ( note not my wife) worked his socks off ( and I'm certain he did/ does his best) to clean and tidy before I arrive. One problem is nobody but me can see or, if they can, apparently not reach the higher spots and ceilings. Oh yes, and the empty plastic bags, rice sacks and mounds of overfilled black rubbish sacks outside. Ah the Thai village way of life! 

20 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Great read this week, thanks - but I was greatly surprised that there was no mention of Spurs.

:whistling:

Very enjoyable read thinking rooster meant red as in ginger ???? nothing do with spurs and being a hammer it made me laugh ⚒ 

2 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Ah, the horrors of village life.????

I do agree that travel doesn't have the appeal it once had for me and it is always so nice to return home.????

1222606787_house2019-2.jpg.715b468db458c32b6983fe5c9e589358.jpg

985957137_house2019-3.jpg.65ec15cbc9bc9f4ba0cd2458b16306d1.jpg

Jeez! Where is that...makes my gaff look like a hovel.

Rooster

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I felt the same as you Rooser, after my usual annual "Lets just see what is happening in the EU" holiday in Germany this year ..... NEVER AGAIN ...Traveling ! ... I am 64 about. ... Still it was very well organised, and Clean, and with out any of the trouble that you had, ... Like I do not have it like that, even at home here in the semi Rural Thai country side of ... near the Asia highway in between Ayuttahya, and Angtong. ... Down a dead end road, on a river bank, so good for the kids, as no traffic, ... and too much scrub on the river bank, that prevents them getting close enough to fall in. 

.... But well,, Germany with 5 Tones about, give or take a couple of Pallets, of good German Beer, in just about every Rewe, and usually less than 5 minuets from the Hotel !!! .... Only 2 or 3 tones in every other Supermarket, but still quite acceptable and naturally brewed and VERY Cheap Beer, .... and a beer stubal right in the middle of the walk way, just before the departure gates area, in FRA FlugHarven !!! ... (Obviously so that you can arrive at the gate, ... just before the boarding, ...  in Good shape for your flight ! Right ? ...) ...  And a country full of people who just do not take any notice, of whether you are drunk ! or Not !!! .... (Like no wonder they lost the war, ... Half of their leaders, and most of the People, must have been <deleted> for most of it ! ) .... Like quite exhausting Really, for one with a weakness for Good ? .... Well, Any Beer. ...

...  So well Never Again ? Well not until I recover from this last time any way !!!  ...  So What is happening in the EU ? .... Well what is happening in Germany, at least ! ... (No the whole world I am afraid, and all the smart people know this, ... and the Pollies just love it, like what an easy way of keeping the People happy ! and off you back ! ... Just ply them with More alcohol, and extend the trading hours, ...  to make more money. ! Right. ...

5 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Ah, the horrors of village life.????

I do agree that travel doesn't have the appeal it once had for me and it is always so nice to return home.????

1222606787_house2019-2.jpg.715b468db458c32b6983fe5c9e589358.jpg

985957137_house2019-3.jpg.65ec15cbc9bc9f4ba0cd2458b16306d1.jpg

555, my (rented) crib would pretty much fit right under that terrace there, now that I call a pad sir, indeed, truly befitting ones rank ...  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

555, my (rented) crib would pretty much fit right under that terrace there, now that I call a pad sir, indeed, truly befitting ones rank ...  

...  I never really wanted to live on a Golf Course my self, to sanitized and ....  ... But well every man to his own. ... And Good luck that you are able to rent suck a nice Place ! ... +++ on the usual way of evaluating life and how successful that you are at managing it, good on you. ...  As Long as you do not go broke, paying for it. ...  just declare Bankruptcy ... Refuse to pay your creditors,  ...  Then just borrow some more money and rent a new one, some where else ! .... Right ! ... (Like you know who,) ...  Like "Successful ??? ...... NOT.

On 10/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, Kwasaki said:

Didn't read post headline word caught my eye, wish they made Guiness here to bring the price down. ????

Unlikely to ever be cheaper, farang like Guinness - farang have money - therefore, keep price up.