EU rejects UK's request for weekend talks as Johnson insists on no Brexit delay

rooster59

EU rejects UK's request for weekend talks as Johnson insists on no Brexit delay

2019-10-06T011320Z_5_LYNXMPEF9403B_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-TALKS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson leaves Downing Street in London, Britain, October 3, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

(Reuters) - The European Union has rejected a British request to hold Brexit talks this weekend, British media reported, as Prime Minister Boris Johnson reiterated his commitment to leaving the bloc on Oct. 31 despite the possibility of a not reaching an exit deal.

The European Commission said that Johnson's new Brexit proposals do not provide any basis for finalising a separation agreement, according to Sky News.

Talks on Johnson's plan to replace the Irish backstop will not take place over the weekend, EU Commission spokeswoman Natasha Bertaud was quoted as saying by Sky. She added that the UK will be given "another opportunity to present its proposals in detail" on Monday.

"If we held talks at the weekend it would look like these were proper negotiations," the Times newspaper had earlier cited an EU diplomat as saying. "We're still a long way from that".

Johnson has consistently said he will not ask for a Brexit delay, reiterating the point on Friday.

"New deal or no deal - but no delay. #GetBrexitDone #LeaveOct31", Johnson said in a tweet.

However, his government also acknowledged for the first time on Friday that Johnson will send a letter to EU asking for a Brexit delay if no divorce deal has been reached by Oct. 19.

Johnson has not explained the apparent contradiction, with opponents believing he will seek some kind of legal escape route to avoid asking for an extension, or try to pressure the EU into refusing to agree to such a request.

Johnson's top advisor said the government will be observing developments over the coming week but will not change its negotiating position, The Times reported.

"Next week we are going to know how things turn out," Dominic Cummings was quoted by The Times as telling other advisers.

"If the EU says no then we are not going to do what the last lot did and change our negotiating position. If we don't get anything next week, we are gone."

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh and Sabahatjahan Contractor in Bengaluru; Editing by Kirsten Donovan; Editing by Sandra Maler and Kirsten Donovan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-06

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Great photo of the Baffoon ????

What look is he going for there ??

Answers on a postcard to No.10

Interesting that you are more concerned with 'looks' than substance.

Not that I trust Boris in the slightest, but anyone concentrating on 'looks'..... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, bannork said:

And how will the break be clean when all the trading deals and agreements with the EU will have to start from scratch, and with the UK as an outsider? It will be an utter mess from Day 1.

And this is precisely why trade agreements should form part of any 'final deal' and financial settlement.

Edited by el torro
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"If we held talks at the weekend it would look like these were proper negotiations," the Times newspaper had earlier cited an EU diplomat as saying. "We're still a long way from that".

why waste time trying to run down the clock.... "We're still a long way from that"... call me when you are nearby, don't waste our time

• Thanks 1

Just now, Basil B said:

The EU participated in genuine negotiations, and a deal was reached, May's Deal... the UK parliament has rejected it... and now submitted anew set of proposals that are non starters, would you was your weekend going round in circles and getting nowhere???

Please try not to be so insulting for no reason towards another poster.

May's deal was 'leave in name only', and the boris 'deal' isn't much better.

The EU certainly didn't participate in "genuine negotiations", they dictated the terms of any talks, and May (a remainer) allowed them to get away with this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, el torro said:

Please try not to be so insulting for no reason towards another poster.

May's deal was 'leave in name only', and the boris 'deal' isn't much better.

The EU certainly didn't participate in "genuine negotiations", they dictated the terms of any talks, and May (a remainer) allowed them to get away with this.

That was not a reflection of my opinion of any poster...

Please do not try deflecting the issue with BS.

"May's deal was 'leave in name only', and the boris 'deal' isn't much better." that's your opinion which I disagree on, but why not put it to the country with a referendum?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

always the easy way out, the easy escape with the blaming game....it's not us, it's them

The EU has been more than nice cooperating with all the UK non sense, if it was me, I would have run away for the negotiating table long,  long time ago

Which is why the negotiating agenda didn't even include trade talks - instead, money to be paid to the EU (before trade talks had even started!) was at the top of the agenda.

But accepting your 'argument' - why on earth didn't the EU refuse extensions a while ago?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bannork said:

And how will the break be clean when all the trading deals and agreements with the EU will have to start from scratch, and with the UK as an outsider? It will be an utter mess from Day 1.

I find it amazing how so many of the posters on any of the Brexit threads have all of the answers but none of them are politicians. They are always correct, yet none of them knows what is really going on behind the scenes.

As for the Remainers, they ALL know what should happen but none of them are in a position to know the facts.

As a Brexiteer, I have no idea what is going on other than TVF and the news media, which puts me into a similar position as the Remainers.

From what I understand parliament aid by lawyers and the courts have effective taken over the running of parliament but none of them want the responsibility of actually taking the UK out of the EU.

• Like 1