EU rejects UK's request for weekend talks as Johnson insists on no Brexit delay

rooster59

3 hours ago, Opl said:

"no customs union, no single market" .. if the E.U is the source of all evils, why just not leave, without a deal, as soon as possible, as it was what Brexiteers voted for - or what?    

You may have been asleep for a while and missed some stuff but for over 3 years the UK has been trying to do that.

The problem was that the negotiating team were Remainers led by an arch Remainer Teresa May. She is the sole owner of the UK negotiations that led to her demise.

Boris came along stating that he would pull us out deal or no deal and the Remainers in the Tory party fought against him, resigned from the party whip (but not from parliament where they would lose their share of the gravy train), Gina Miller at al threw the law (again) at the government, parliament hog tied Boris but cannot agree which way to go, and so once again the UK is FUBAR. 

IMHO If I were Boris I would wait until I has to write the letter to the EU and simply refuse to do it and the reason would be because parliament stopped me, you can get on with it on your own.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You may have been asleep for a while and missed some stuff but for over 3 years the UK has been trying to do that.

sorry but that's incorrect, for 2.5 years the UK didn't move their "rear" and all of a sudden they realized time was of essence and they started to negotiate a deal which was accepted by the EU, thus accepting the UK to leave but the UK parliament doesn't want to leave, a lot of non sense happen in the UK parliament, such non sense was in anyway created/started/originated by the EU, the UK did it and keeps doing it and instead of blaming their own people/parliament/government or whoever they started to blame the EU for the UK problems.... a simple version of the facts, the EU is not holding the UK from leaving the EU, it is the UK holding itself from leaving the EU

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The problem was that the negotiating team were Remainers led by an arch Remainer Teresa May. She is the sole owner of the UK negotiations that led to her demise.

May's deal gave us everything Cummings and his team promised Brexit would deliver during the referendum campaign; apart from the Irish backstop.

Cummings and his political mouthpieces like Johnson were desperate to ignore the Irish border problem during the campaign, and dismissed all talk of it by the Remain side as 'Project Fear.'

Boris came along stating that he would pull us out deal or no deal and the Remainers in the Tory party fought against him, resigned from the party whip (but not from parliament where they would lose their share of the gravy train), Gina Miller at al threw the law (again) at the government, parliament hog tied Boris but cannot agree which way to go, and so once again the UK is FUBAR.

Some Tory MPs, like Boris' brother, did resign from the Whip; but not as many as had the Whip removed by Boris!

The Supreme Court ruling that Boris' underhand prorogation was unlawful did not rule in any way shape or form upon the UK's relationship with the EU, the government's negotiating stance nor anything else to do with Brexit.

No one voted for a no deal Brexit; those who voted to leave voted for the type of Brexit promised by Cummings; the type of Brexit May's deal delivered. It was Johnson, Rees-Mogg with his ERG and others who prevented that from happening for their own political ambitions.

IMHO If I were Boris I would wait until I has to write the letter to the EU and simply refuse to do it and the reason would be because parliament stopped me, you can get on with it on your own.

An Act of Parliament says that if Johnson has not reached a deal in time then he has to ask for an extension of Article 50; to do otherwise means he would be breaking Statute Law.

Of course, there is no legal reason why the EU has to grant that extension; which may be what he is hoping for.

Edited by 7by7
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I know what you mean we will have to take a wheelbarrow to the ATM as the pound will sink lower than the Zimbabwean dollar with the hyperinflation that will follow brexit.

You have been listening to Mark Carney for too long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you were B.J you'd write 2 letters to the EU :  "no deal" - "no Brexit"  

Edited by Opl
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

sorry but that's incorrect, for 2.5 years the UK didn't move their "rear" and all of a sudden they realized time was of essence and they started to negotiate a deal which was accepted by the EU, thus accepting the UK to leave but the UK parliament doesn't want to leave, a lot of non sense happen in the UK parliament, such non sense was in anyway created/started/originated by the EU, the UK did it and keeps doing it and instead of blaming their own people/parliament/government or whoever they started to blame the EU for the UK problems.... a simple version of the facts, the EU is not holding the UK from leaving the EU, it is the UK holding itself from leaving the EU

Really? Does that mean that Teresa May did nothing at all for 2.5 years?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

No one voted for a no deal Brexit; those who voted to leave voted for the type of Brexit promised by Cummings; the type of Brexit May's deal delivered. It was Johnson, Rees-Mogg with his ERG gang and others who prevented that from happening for their own political ambitions.

Brexiters don't want to acknowledge that.... it's easy to blame the EU for their own mistakes

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

be so kind and provide the date when her deal was submitted to the EU.... look at the dates below, maybe not 2.5 years but long enough from March 2017 to Nov 2018

For the UK to leave the EU it had to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty which gives the two sides two years to agree the terms of the split. Theresa May triggered this process on 29 March, 2017, meaning the UK is scheduled to leave at 11pm UK time on Friday, 29 March 2019.

On the 14th of November 2018 Theresa May returned to the UK with a draft withdrawal agreement with the EU. This 585 page deal is the crucial first step in the Brexit process and lays out the terms on which the UK will leave the European Union

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

May's deal gave us everything Cummings and his team promised Brexit would deliver during the referendum campaign; apart from the Irish backstop.

Cummings and his political mouthpieces like Johnson were desperate to ignore the Irish border problem during the campaign, and dismissed all talk of it by the Remain side as 'Project Fear.'

Some Tory MPs, like Boris' brother, did resign from the Whip; but not as may as had the Whip removed by Boris!

The Supreme Court ruling Boris' underhand prorogation did not rule in any way shape or form upon the UK's relationship wi8th the EU, the government's negotiating stance nor anything else to do with Brexit.

No one voted for a no deal Brexit; those who voted to leave voted for the type of Brexit promised by Cummings; the type of Brexit May's deal delivered. It was Johnson, Rees-Mogg with his ERG and others who prevented that from happening for their own political ambitions.

An Act of Parliament says that if Johnson has not reached a deal in time then he has to ask for an extension of Article 50; to do otherwise means he would be breaking Statute Law.

Of course, there is no legal reason why the EU has to grant that extension; which may be what he is hoping for.

How so?

TM promised that the UK would leave the EU completely by 31st March this year but as far as I can see we are still in the EU 6 months after that date.

I can't be bothered with the rest of you post as IMHO it is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At least 21 hangers on,probably more like 22 now as Sweden finds itself in financial trouble,all wanting free money.  Not withstanding the UK was 93 billion in deficit to the EU,paying it 8 billion for membership,and face it Boris has upwards of 39 billion the EU wants.  The EU will except any crumbs of comfort the UK throws out.

Ireland is not the UKs concern,that must be obvious,let the savages battle it out,not needed ,not wanted,throw it under a bus

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You know that’s not true. 

You know the problem is that you don’t have a majority. And now you’re blaming the majority that they don’t support you. 

Yes, when you have a keyboard but no responsibility you would do many things if you were Boris. 

34 minutes ago, vogie said:

If you mean the EU, are they doing the Twist, Boris will be doing Bolero, whilst Corbyn is still doing the Funky Chicken.

I think that Corbyn will be doing the Funky Gibbon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXq8rELhUkw

Edited by billd766
edited for bad spelling after I had posted, again.

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

I think having a referendum is a great idea.

Of course we would have to complete the current one first otherwise there is no point in having a second one.

Then of course if the Remainers win then then it should be the best of 3, 5, 7 etc unless one side reaches 3 clear wins first.

Another referendum would need a good set of rules starting with a pass mark of say 65 or 70% of the actual voters and if that fails we revert to the existing referendum results. I say actual and eligible because if, as in the last referendum, a sizable proportion didn't vote that means only the actual votes cast are eligible.

Would the voting age be lowered and to what age limit?

Next, who would decide what and how many questions should be asked?

Well if there was a 2nd referendum , not that I believe there should be , then one hopes that it would be both unambigous and legally binding.

The huge problem has been that nobody definitevly knows exactly what Brexit means.

Leaving the EU you say , well Mrs May's deal achieved that but it wasn't Brexity enough apparently , honestly the whole process has been a shambles.

Farage and co now insist that only no deal is a true Brexit , yet no deal was not presented as such prior to the referendum !

Duplicity , hypocrisy and humbug from both sides have created a nightmare and Britain has become a laughing stock.

So if we try again , lets have some hard facts and no more bloody ambiguity , we might then find a solution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

No. She kicked a can down the road for the best part of it. After calling her fatally flawed, losing snap election, she only had the one can left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Well if there was a 2nd referendum , not that I believe there should be , then one hopes that it would be both unambigous and legally binding.

The huge problem has been that nobody definitevly knows exactly what Brexit means.

Leaving the EU you say , well Mrs May's deal achieved that but it wasn't Brexity enough apparently , honestly the whole process has been a shambles.

Farage and co now insist that only no deal is a true Brexit , yet no deal was not presented as such prior to the referendum !

Duplicity , hypocrisy and humbug from both sides have created a nightmare and Britain has become a laughing stock.

So if we try again , lets have some hard facts and no more bloody ambiguity , we might then find a solution. 

Jeez, it's like peeing in the wind! Referendums in the UK CAN NOT be legally binding. Nor can Political Parties be sued for failing to deliver on the "promises" they make in their election manifestos. 

The only redress is via the ballot box - but be honest, who the hell would vote for any of this shower!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Jeez, it's like peeing in the wind! Referendums in the UK CAN NOT be legally binding. Nor can Political Parties be sued for failing to deliver on the "promises" they make in their election manifestos. 

The only redress is via the ballot box - but be honest, who the hell would vote for any of this shower!

Referendums are not currently legally binding , that is not to say that legislation can not be introduced to make them so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Referendums are not currently legally binding , that is not to say that legislation can not be introduced to make them so.

There is no reason why a referendum can not be legally binding, just depends on the wording of the bill that is needed for any referendum, but it makes common senses to make them only binding if there is a clear majority as done in most other countries.

• Like 1