Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.

However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of repayment? Especially by long-stayers? Generally all I hear about are tourists, not long-term stayers, who don't have insurance and end up with a 'Go fund me' page.

Add a few Baht tax to all plane tickets/landings, use the money to aid foreigners hurt in the Kingdom, and problem solved.

It doesn't need to occur like this, and thus makes me wonder what else is at play...

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not have a problem requiring visitors to have health insurance; it is simply a good idea.

However, the quote above leaves me speechless. Are there any valid figures to show a lack of repayment? Especially by long-stayers? Generally all I hear about are tourists, not long-term stayers, who don't have insurance and end up with a 'Go fund me' page.

Add a few Baht tax to all plane tickets/landings, use the money to aid foreigners hurt in the Kingdom, and problem solved.

It doesn't need to occur like this, and thus makes me wonder what else is at play...

Good idea. They should do that.

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

Trump is making America Great Again, unlike what is taking place over here. 

Assuming you believe that, his alleged aim is to make it great for Americans and at the same time screw everyone else, especially anyone trying to get in the US, legally or illegally. According to most of the moaners, that's what's happening here.

The [American] government is denying more work visas, asking applicants to provide additional information and delaying approvals more frequently than just a year earlier. Hospitals, hotels, technology companies and other businesses say they are now struggling to fill jobs with the foreign workers they need.

With foreign hires missing, the employees who remain are being forced to pick up the slack. Seasonal industries like hotels and landscaping are having to turn down customers or provide fewer services. Corporate executives worry about the long-term impact of losing talented engineers and programmers to countries like Canada that are laying out the welcome mat for skilled foreigners.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/02/business/trump-legal-immigration-h1b-visas.html

15 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

...It would seem that just for now, only the Non Im OA visa applications are affected. But just for now !...BUT they have not done it yet, (I think ?) and it is not in the law yet, either ??? (I think ???)

Currently the police order pertains only to new applicants, not for those seeking an extension, but it's only logical that renewal of extensions will be included in the near future.  It will happen, and soon!   

If there is one thing Thai legislators are VERY good at, and do with ease, it's drafting new regulations to make things as difficult as possible for Expats...LOL!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

So, pray tell me what a 76 year old does when the insurance companies will NOT accept you. I was under the impression that this stupid government had made the ruling that your had to keep 400,000 Baht in your account ALL YEAR ROUND in order to cover yourself for any medical costs you may incur. I have used Thai hospitals here in HH and have never failed to pay my bills. I do not see how anybody can leave a hospital WITHOUT paying any monies owed. Simple answer, let the hospital retain your passport until your bill is paid, but that is too easy for these idiotic nurds to understand. 

How about us being allowed to pay a monthly health insurance fee to the government to cover the use of Thai hospitals, or have a bond paid for that covers say 400,000. This could be a 12 month saving deposit account held purely for health reasons? 

This not about most expats who can pay the hospital bills..It's about let's force long standing expats to cover the debt health  burden and make sure thai insurance companies reap the profits!

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Currently the police order pertains only to new applicants, not for those seeking an extension, but it's only logical that renewal of extensions will be included in the near future.  It will happen, and soon!   

If there is one thing Thai legislators are VERY good at, and do with ease, it's drafting new regulations to make things as difficult as possible for Expats...LOL!

Extension a!ready need 400 k a year  in a Thai bank the EXACT amount OA need in insurance !

This is why extension were left out of the announcement

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

"...So, pray tell me what a 76 year old does when the insurance companies will NOT accept you..."?

Look into the provision that may allow you to increase your bank account to cover the inpatient insurance coverage requirement of 400k.  In other words, increasing your Imm stipulated frozen bank account from 400,000 minimum to 800,000 minimum, year-round for your extension.

Edited by WaveHunter

8 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Currently the police order pertains only to new applicants, not for those seeking an extension

impossible to implement, aside that most expats I know have the money to cover or have insurance, only those using agents for 12 month extensions are questionable

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

impossible to implement, aside that most expats I know have the money to cover or have insurance, only those using agents for 12 month extensions are questionable

My comment you quoted was "Currently the police order pertains only to new applicants, not for those seeking an extension"  

Not sure what you are saying in your reply?

Edited by WaveHunter

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

Extension a!ready need 400 k a year  in a Thai bank the EXACT amount OA need in insurance !

This is why extension were left out of the announcement

Those applying for O-A need to produce financials also but not in Thailand - but I take your point, the current 12 month extension covers this, but then there are those using agents to bypass the rules that don't have the financials in Thailand

The corruption here leaves a bitter taste especially for those that adhere to the rules  

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I agree, and hope Britain (and other countries) will start charging Thai citizens visiting for their hospital visits.

Try in the USA where 1 out of every 7 births is to a non USA citizen.  Migrants from around the world flock to the USA for expensive procedures not available in their country knowing that USA requires they be treated irrespective of legal status.  In Texas almost all the border hospitals have closed due to providing care to illegals forcing the hospitals into bankruptcy and of course eliminating any medical care in the area for U.S. Citizens. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Many UK newspaper articles lately reported that the NHS loses £150 million (5.5 billion baht) yearly in unpaid medical bills by foreigners. . In June this year up to 500 doctor members of the British Medical Association met in Northern Ireland and unanimously stated that charging foreigners was "racist"!!! 

I believe that these are reasons for UK nationals to be especially angry concerning this subject bearing in mind also that despite most paying the national insurance contributions all of their working life they are, as expats, now not qualified for NHS free treatment. The UK needs to be tougher and maybe arrange reciprocal arrangements outside of the EU (which has already). 

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Try in the USA where 1 out of every 7 births is to a non USA citizen.  Migrants from around the world flock to the USA for expensive procedures not available in their country knowing that USA requires they be treated irrespective of legal status.  In Texas almost all the border hospitals have closed due to providing care to illegals forcing the hospitals into bankruptcy and of course eliminating any medical care in the area for U.S. Citizens. 

That is about to change significantly under Trump's new policies despite his partisan political opposition, and as an American, I think it's high time for it to happen!

5 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I guess the mass exodus of western expats wasn't going fast enough.  This new requirement should speed up the process. 

It sure will. The new financial requirements of monthly transfers was my last straw which I have managed to sort now and now do ensuring FTT codes, so extended in Aug 2019 OK, but not without a lot of agro and expense. But this insurance scam has broken the camels back so after 18 years I will cease extension renewal in Aug 2020! Opportunity to explore other options for the next 10 years+.

When I have had a need for medical care over that time I paid for it including the births of my children at the top Bu. Hospital Bangkok!

Thai neighbours will benefit. See you in 2020. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, smedly said:

That doesn't surprise me

Well, can you clarify what you meant? Your sarcastic reply was uncalled for.

I was simply stating a fact:  "...Currently the police order pertains only to new applicants, not for those seeking an extension..."

Your rambling incohesive reply to that statement makes no sense:  "impossible to implement, aside that most expats I know have the money to cover or have insurance, only those using agents for 12 month extensions are questionable"  

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Well, can you clarify what you meant? 

I was simply stating a fact:  "...Currently the police order pertains only to new applicants, not for those seeking an extension..."

Your reply to that statement makes no sense:  "impossible to implement, aside that most expats I know have the money to cover or have insurance, only those using agents for 12 month extensions are questionable"  

sound's like he is a retired politician lol....word spaghetti

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, madmen said:

sound's like he is a retired politician lol....word spaghetti

Hahaha!  I've been closely following partisan political debate in the USA lately.  "Word Spaghetti" is a perfect term to describe it LOL!  Great phrase @madman; you're a true Word-Smith????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hansnl said:

Very simple, for those on extension of stays offer a kind of insurance valid only in state hospitals, or even easier, put 500 Baht on the price of obtaining the extension.

Problem solved.

One of the qualifying requirements for a retirement extension is an income of 65000 baht, so I have often wondered why don’t they just charge us the same as somebody actually working here on that salary and contributing to the Social Security fund, which I believe comes to 1500 baht/month. For that we would just get medical treatment in a govt hospital. Pay it every year or no extension, simple option ! All the money would go into the hospital system, not get siphoned off in profits to an insurance company.

Surely medical treatment for us oldies cannot be that much more expensive than the brain injuries and general road accident trauma caused by younger people riding motorcycles drunk, at high speed, and without a helmet, whether they be tourists or Thais.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Look into the provision that may allow you to increase your bank account to cover the inpatient insurance coverage requirement of 400k.  In other words, increasing your Imm stipulated frozen bank account from 400,000 minimum to 800,000 minimum, year-round for your extension.

Yes, this is what I was saying, but where in the 'provision that may allow you to increase your bank account' is this stated? I would be quite willing to have them stipulate that I had to keep 800,000 all year round if that would cover this stupid new rule that may be applied to renewals in the future. I'm 76 years old and have lived in HH for some 13+ years and would like to live out my days here as I came here for health reasons where the climate allows me to enjoy life without medications. I have no wish to be forced out of Thailand, when I can prove that I am more than capable of paying for my health care needs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I think that's a myth. I have only heard of one person who came here specifically for med reasons. How many do you know of??

mY FRIEND SAYS HIS DONG IS BIGGER NOW BUT CANT SEE THE BENEFIT IN GOING FOR THE BLEACHING..

10 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

Yes, this is what I was saying, but where in the 'provision that may allow you to increase your bank account' is this stated? I would be quite willing to have them stipulate that I had to keep 800,000 all year round if that would cover this stupid new rule that may be applied to renewals in the future. I'm 76 years old and have lived in HH for some 13+ years and would like to live out my days here as I came here for health reasons where the climate allows me to enjoy life without medications. I have no wish to be forced out of Thailand, when I can prove that I am more than capable of paying for my health care needs.  

Now THAT'S always the challenge here in the Magic Kingdom...finding documentation of such provisions.  Probably a reputable Immigration Agent or Thai Immigration lawyer would be the most expedient way to find out how to do it for sure.  I don't think consulting one would break the bank, and could be a real game-changer if it solves the problem.

I know that most Imm agents have a seedy reputation but there are some good ones who operate in a professional and ethical manner, and are not out to just rip you off or do something illegal.

I'll bet if you search through the pages of ThaiVisa, you could find someone recommending a good one to approach and discuss this with.

Search Tip:  Use Google search to do it, not ThaiVisa search which has a horrendous search engine.  Just go to Google homepage and enter search term with hyphens like this:  "Immigration Agent" "ThaiVisa".  You'll be amazed how much more comprehensive you can search the Thai Visa forum this way.

Edited by WaveHunter

Insurance is expensive because it covers run-of-the-mill prescriptions and doctor visits. What is needed to ease Thailand's perceived burden is catastrophic coverage where the foreigner continues to pay for his/her prescriptions and normal medical care but coverage would kick in and cover hospital fees above 50,000b, topping out at around 300,000b, and include evacuation to your home country for long-term care. Few of these policies would be cashed in as they don't pay off for preexisting conditions anyway, same as current policies offered in Thailand. Basically you have to survive some road carnage to collect, but 1000b(?) a month for catastrophic coverage is better than out-of-pocket premiums of 10,000b a month for something that very likely will do you no good in the long run anyway.

1 hour ago, thasoss said:

16pages for what? or am I missing something here? Yesterday it was stated compulsory health insurance will be required from October 31st for all applications for a non O-A visa.. end of story until they decide to include extensions of stay sometime in the future 

reading the actual police order suggests it will cover extensions. the initial news coverage was probably wrong.

6 hours ago, steve2112 said:

ditto, i didn't know it was even possible

I recall an incident at the hospital in K Phet as the Dr explained to me 

"He had the audacity to die" as the farang had been killed by the child of a poo yai no furthur action occured and the widow fled the country.

Once they realize most over 70s with pre exisiting are virtually uninsureable they will have to leave or they could add a simple levy to foreigners flying out, impossible to dodge and the young and fit pay while they can and their parents generation reap the benefit as in civilized nations.

I fear they 'll follow the money the American way with insurers creaming the profits from sick dying people.

In the French Republic they have a practical method where teh state can take a "virement" effectively a claim on the estate, problem is most falangs outside of condos have no property, it's their way.

Like many others it would be better to leave but for those with families farms businesses kids and other investments its a wrench.

I imagine once OA has been milked with enough gravy for all all long term visas will be in thrall to this