Landlord/tenant Disputes

Good morning everyone, is there a government run agency or department for landlord/tenant disputes. mainly outstanding repairs and general negligence to the property?

I called the Ombudsman Thailand Office but their English is limited and I don't think it's the right channel for this.

Any advice greatly welcomed, thank you in advance.

Can't really do much with a bad landlord as there isn't an authorised government body that are strong enough or have any clout in forcing landlords to comply, best will be to prepare a letter of your grievances in english and thai, cc copy to the juristic person where the property is, whereby you will list all of the faults and issues and demand they will be attended to asap otherwise you will stop paying rent and will lodge a complaint with the police, send theses letters using registered post to both address, should he will attempt go give you troubles and try to evict you go and lodge a claim with the local police station, this way you're acting within the laws of Thailand and the landlord can either fix those faults or give you your deposit back and release you from the contract... Good luck..

Check your contract. in most newer contracts there is a clause in the contract that you can pay for repairs up to 2000 Baht and get reimbursed by the landlord. For repairs above 2000 baht you must ask the landlord. If he does not respond then you need to send a registered letter to him including quotes for the repairs. If he does not respond with 14 days you can go ahead and get them done and pay for them and get reimbursed by the landlord .

The only problem with that is getting the landlord to pay up so good luck with that.

It's a big ploblem in Thailand maintenance is not on the agenda take out of the rent,

If the landlord is like that now what will they be like when you want your security deposit back..........?

Personally didn't have a problem getting mine back some years ago which amounted to quite a sum of money 2 months rent

You read of many people that do have a problem

4 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

Check your contract. in most newer contracts there is a clause in the contract that you can pay for repairs up to 2000 Baht and get reimbursed by the landlord. For repairs above 2000 baht you must ask the landlord. If he does not respond then you need to send a registered letter to him including quotes for the repairs. If he does not respond with 14 days you can go ahead and get them done and pay for them and get reimbursed by the landlord .

The only problem with that is getting the landlord to pay up so good luck with that.

I had this problem once, so i just got the work done, paid for it, got a receipt and gave the landlord a copy  when i next paid the rent with the value of the receipt deducted. Nothing was said, i think that he just did not have the money to do the outstanding work.

53 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I had this problem once, so i just got the work done, paid for it, got a receipt and gave the landlord a copy  when i next paid the rent with the value of the receipt deducted. Nothing was said, i think that he just did not have the money to do the outstanding work.

Same with mine but she wouldn’t say that ,I said if she not get it fixed I would, then take it out the rent ,she said ok ,do that

5 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

My contract says that repairs up to 2000 baht can be deducted from next months rent. I just have to show the bills. 

On 10/24/2019 at 11:18 AM, ezzra said:

... and will lodge a complaint with the police, send theses letters using registered post to both address, should he will attempt go give you troubles and try to evict you go and lodge a claim with the local police station, this way you're acting within the laws of Thailand ...

I'm sure the most policemen will tell you: "Sorry, but we can't do anything because it is a CLEAR civil case!!!"

The onliest what you can do is to find a good, trustful lawyer for help you, but ... this can be a very long and maybe expencive way!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS BUT FINALLY i HAVE FOUND THIS AND YOU SHOULD ALL CHECK IT OUT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE:

Tenants may contact the Consumer Protection Board about their landlords by calling 02-141-3437. Property owners can contact the same Board’s Contracts Committee at 02-143-9767 to get help reviewing their contracts to verify they are legally compliant.  

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2018/03/08/new-rights-renters-thailand-shock-landlords/

See Breaking Contracts and paragraph above.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/03/13/thai-law-what-landlords-must-quickly-do-or-go-to-jail/

http://www.thailawforum.com/new-thai-lease-law-empowers-renters/

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AND THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME...

Archived