Non Imm 'O' visa financial requirements

Does anyone know the financial requirements for a Non Imm O visa based on marriage from the UK? I've had them before but at the time I was working and although not earning a lot spread across the year I always had 3 months of good money. but that's not the case now. I'm returning to Thailand on 29th December and I'll probably have to use a Visa Exemption and then travel to Savannakhet.

I'm not working at the moment and as I don't know how that will work out I'm looking at using the pensions I have to add to the amount I get from renting out a property. I'll also be able to get my state pension in March. At one time getting a visa based on a pension needed 65,000 baht a month but now the embassy website has this which isn't so helpful.

'Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000'

At the moment I don't think I can manage that, at least not if I can't include my rental income.

I was thinking about going for a visa based on marriage as I used before although not in about 18 months due to not visiting as much. The problem is that the website has this which isn't very helpful.

'Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party'

At the moment I'm trying to decide how much I need to live on so I can make decisions on my pensions but I need to take into account what Thai Immigration thinks I need as well and they don't include my wife's earnings.

Any help gratefully received.

Are you not near a consulate? Thai Wedding cert, wife's ID, bank statement as proof of UK address.

Don't know what the e-visa site is expecting, could only think they may compare with the in Thailand,extension level income requirement of 40k THB about £1050/month,( to a Thai Bank account)???

When I was sorting my pension, early 2018, I based on having an income of £1400/month, as required by the London Embassy on their website at the time, with indexation and a margin of error. Then a second non-O ME marriage in Feb this year, £1500-/month. Apparently these amounts were not actually enforced! Then at June this year, London scrapped that visa type! So planning your pension as I did against using a specific format of Thai requirements is unpredictable.

I do not think the consulates ask for a specific level of income currently, for the Non-O SE marriage.

[If you are about to sort your pensions, and you happen to have a years money, as a buffer, you may wish to isolate it and send it to Thailand, within the next Thai Tax year (Jan-Dec) in which you will be there for more than 180days, rather than sending income as it arises.]

Edited by UKresonant

2 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Are you not near a consulate? Thai Wedding cert, wife's ID, bank statement as proof of UK address.

Don't know what the e-visa site is expecting, could only think they may compare with the in Thailand,extension level income requirement of 40k THB about £1050/month,( to a Thai Bank account)???

When I was sorting my pension, early 2018, I based on having an income of £1400/month, as required by the London Embassy on their website at the time, with indexation and a margin of error. Then a second non-O ME marriage in Feb this year, £1500-/month. Apparently these amounts were not actually enforced! Then at June this year, London scrapped that visa type! So planning your pension as I did against using a specific format of Thai requirements is unpredictable.

I do not think the consulates ask for a specific level of income currently, for the Non-O SE marriage.

[If you are about to sort your pensions, and you happen to have a years money, as a buffer, you may wish to isolate it and send it to Thailand, within the next Thai Tax year (Jan-Dec) in which you will be there for more than 180days, rather than sending income as it arises.]

I think you're probably right about there not being an exact amount so I was thinking maybe someone would have gone through this with financial circumstances closer to to my current position rather than how it used to be. your experience seems very much as I would expect. Of course the exchange rate isn't very friendly at the moment. 

I wasn't planning on taking my pension at this time but circumstances have changed my plans. I want to take what I need and maybe invest the rest or perhaps not take it all. That should work for me but it may not fit with visa rules. 

Anyway thanks for sharing your story. 

i pre applied for a non imm 'O' 'married' single entry from Hull, approved by London in 2 days, went a few days later and had visa put in passport, i used a Thai bank account with 400,000 showing, hull are also requiring financials for a tourist visa, bank statements etc

16 hours ago, kimamey said:

Does anyone know the financial requirements for a Non Imm O visa based on marriage from the UK? 

They do not mention an amount on the embassy website.

"Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)

Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand, e.g. a copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption

Personal details of a family in Thailand, e.g. ID card, Passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand

Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand

Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party

Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland"

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#6

You will only be able to get a single entry non-o. You have to apply online for the visa.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party

Yes but I've also been wondering, what if any criteria do they apply to that ? If you have a tenner in the bank is that OK ? Unlikely. But then what is deemed acceptable ?  20,000 baht equivalent same as a tourist ? Equivalent of 400,000 baht ? Something in between ? And would for example a SIPP pension statement showing your investments be acceptable ? It does say "e.g. bank statement" so a bank statement is only one example of acceptable evidence.

With rental income and a state pension to start soon it doesn't sound like the original poster is sailing close to the wind.  But the vague statement on the Thai embassy London site about "financial evidence" is very unhelpful. I'll be applying later next year and don't anticipate any issues but I'd simply be interested to know how they assess it. Thing to do would be to phone them or email, if they ever answer their phone or reply.

Edited by Tuvoc

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes but I've also been wondering, what if any criteria do they apply to that ? If you have a tenner in the bank is that OK ? Unlikely. But then what is deemed acceptable ?  20,000 baht equivalent same as a tourist ? Equivalent of 400,000 baht ? Something in between ? And would for example a SIPP pension statement showing your investments be acceptable ? It does say "e.g. bank statement" so a bank statement is only one example of acceptable evidence.

I've never heard of any one in the UK using an investment pension type account for such evidence. There was a chap in Australia that said they accepted an investment pension type account for a Visa application, but that was a while back.

Using a SIPP value would make thinks a lot easier. (Their is no way I would take money out the taxable bit of a SIPP, to pursue a Thai Visa application. There is no continuity to do so, especially compared with the likes of the Philippines system)

I have to keep two of my pensions untouched until I'm sure I am unlikely to work full time again. But I'm only likely to work full time again if I could not get a Visa (or the wee boy goes to Uni in the UK, perhaps)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UKresonant said:

I've never heard of any one in the UK using an investment pension type account for such evidence. There was a chap in Australia that said they accepted an investment pension type account for a Visa application, but that was a while back.

Using a SIPP value would make thinks a lot easier. (Their is no way I would take money out the taxable bit of a SIPP, to pursue a Thai Visa application. There is no continuity to do so, especially compared with the likes of the Philippines system)

I have to keep two of my pensions untouched until I'm sure I am unlikely to work full time again. But I'm only likely to work full time again if I could not get a Visa (or the wee boy goes to Uni in the UK, perhaps)

Yes I wasn't suggesting taking money out at all, just as evidence of financial security the same as a bank statement is.

Interestingly my IFA tells me that once retired in Thailand and non-resident for UK tax purposes, you can take money out with no tax deducted at source in the UK. And then others here have suggested, and backed up by some research on the net,  it is then tax-free in Thailand as it is treated as capital and not taxable bercause it is not brought in in the same year it is earned.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 10:28 PM, kimamey said:

Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

The financial requirements quoted here r the same as for a pensioner non-O 90day single entry which I obtained recently from London by post and were limited to those quoted above; with only one month's bank statement, so it was very easy. A friend has also obtained one since when not yet 65yrs old, but he sent evidence of his private pensions and a bank statement showing them to be paid in. U mention u have private pensions so maybe u can do the same. Also highlight any other income u have on the statement and put in as much cash as u can to provide the highest statement balance possible. If u can get to a consulate and apply in person, they r much more friendly  and helful, and u can phone them 1st to ask all the questions u r asking here and get advice and make an appointment. I recommend Cardiff. If u do apply online for a postal application from London as I did, I had the impression that once all the required evidence is uploaded and payment is made and accepted online and u r given a barcode that means your visa has already been granted. This is because all u then have to do is send in your passport and any one printed document with the barcode on it. U do not have to send in any original or notorised copy documents or photos. So this basically means that the application has already been passed and the embassy is just rubber stamping it.

When your 90 days ends your income will have been increased by your state pension, and u could then exit to a neighbouring country and possibly apply for a (one year?) visa based on marriage. This used to be easy to obtain (by a friend) from Savannakhet with no financial, or little financial evidence, but I dont know if this is still the case.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, Tuvoc said:

With rental income and a state pension to start soon it doesn't sound like the original poster is sailing close to the wind.  But the vague statement on the Thai embassy London site about "financial evidence" is very unhelpful. I'll be applying later next year and don't anticipate any issues but I'd simply be interested to know how they assess it. Thing to do would be to phone them or email, if they ever answer their phone or reply.

The rent on my property is £600 a month but I receive around £540 into my bank after fees from the letting agency. My state pension will be just over £750 but I can't get that until March. Looking at the figure of 65,000 Baht that I've seen that's about £1680 but flexible due to exchange rate fluctuations and I'm under that.

I'm due to see a financial adviser shortly to see if the plans I've worked out have any flaws that I'm unaware of. Obviously you're always advised to decide how much you need to live on which is a difficult task on its own but will include my wife's income and eventual pension whilst at the same time trying to satisfy Thai immigration who don't seem to understand that my wife might be earning as well. I'm hoping that I will be able to work again at some point which will obviously make things easier. I've always worked in 3 month periods  so although the pay that goes into my account only covers slightly over 6 months it has to be spread over 12 months but when I send in my statements that's not what's seen although it would probably be enough anyway

There is always the option of using a visa exemption and then visiting Savannakhet but it would be more convenient for me if I didn't have to. However I don't want to apply for a non imm O and have it refused. partly because the fee is lost as far as i know but also I'd rather not be in a position where I have to answer 'yes' to the question 'Have you ever had a visa refused?'

When my wife has applied for a visa to visit the UK there's no specific amount that's put down as required so it's not just a Thai thing. I asked mainly in case anyone had been refused due to finances so I might have a better idea of what my chances are.

As for phoning or emailing the embassy I've never had any success but I did from the Birmingham Consulate when it was open. Cardiff seems to be a good option since I don't have work taking up my time. The difficulty of contacting the embassy in London is one of the reasons I come on here for help.

On 10/27/2019 at 5:49 AM, SunsetT said:

The financial requirements quoted here r the same as for a pensioner non-O 90day single entry which I obtained recently from London by post and were limited to those quoted above; with only one month's bank statement, so it was very easy. A friend has also obtained one since when not yet 65yrs old, but he sent evidence of his private pensions and a bank statement showing them to be paid in. U mention u have private pensions so maybe u can do the same. Also highlight any other income u have on the statement and put in as much cash as u can to provide the highest statement balance possible. If u can get to a consulate and apply in person, they r much more friendly  and helful, and u can phone them 1st to ask all the questions u r asking here and get advice and make an appointment. I recommend Cardiff. If u do apply online for a postal application from London as I did, I had the impression that once all the required evidence is uploaded and payment is made and accepted online and u r given a barcode that means your visa has already been granted. This is because all u then have to do is send in your passport and any one printed document with the barcode on it. U do not have to send in any original or notorised copy documents or photos. So this basically means that the application has already been passed and the embassy is just rubber stamping it.

When your 90 days ends your income will have been increased by your state pension, and u could then exit to a neighbouring country and possibly apply for a (one year?) visa based on marriage. This used to be easy to obtain (by a friend) from Savannakhet with no financial, or little financial evidence, but I dont know if this is still the case.

I'm not receiving my state pension until March and I'm sorting out my private ones now so I'm hoping I can at least have some figures to work on. I think the consulate in Cardiff might be my best option and is recommended a lot on here.

I might need to use a visa exemption and a first trip to Savannakhet but if I can avoid it I will. Not that I don't want to visit Savannakhet of course but I'd rather do it when it's convenient .

Did mine in London 2 weeks ago. Had submitted it all online and yes my financials were healthy. When I turned up with all the documents they were only interested in seeing marriage certificate and passport, offered them the rest but was told "No that's fine". Every reason to believe documents are not checked prior to you turning up. I say that because the flight details I loaded up in error were for a trip to Lagos????.

Accept that doesn't prove anything either way but strongly suspect with a marriage application the emphasis is less on the financials and more on the passport and marriage details.

5 hours ago, roamer said:

Did mine in London 2 weeks ago. Had submitted it all online and yes my financials were healthy. When I turned up with all the documents they were only interested in seeing marriage certificate and passport, offered them the rest but was told "No that's fine". Every reason to believe documents are not checked prior to you turning up. I say that because the flight details I loaded up in error were for a trip to Lagos????.

Accept that doesn't prove anything either way but strongly suspect with a marriage application the emphasis is less on the financials and more on the passport and marriage details.

It's quite likely that marriage and previously leaving within the visa limit I would have thought. I've previously had strong financials so never had a problem but I'm just at an inconvenient time. 

21 hours ago, roamer said:

"Every reason to believe documents are not checked prior to you turning up"......."When I turned up with all the documents they were only interested in seeing marriage certificate and passport, offered them the rest but was told "No that's fine".......

.....So......Im not sure where the uploaded documents are checked/processed. London or Thailand. I suspect Thailand or a separate dept. in London from those stamping the passports of personal and postal applications, and, given the above the latter must be assuming that the inefficient former are checking and processing the online applications. Dont debate this here in case embassy staff are reading (though I doubt it). Just make the most of this while it lasts....????!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd give a quick update on my visa application.

I went to the consulate in Cardiff on the 17th December and got my 90 day Non Imm O visa based on marriage with no trouble in about 25 minutes. (0 days is fine for my planned visit and by the time I apply again I should have the my finances sorted out. For this I didn't need any financial evidence just the list below.

1) your passport with a minimum 1 year remaining and 3 clear pages

2) 2 recent passport photos

3) Copy of marriage Certificate

4) Copy of your partners Thai ID Card or Thai Passport

4) £70 cash to cover the visa and admin fee

It did require a long drive from Southampton to Cardiff but as I had the time that wasn't a problem. I'd never been to Cardiff before and it looked pretty good and I'd be happy to do it again. I did hear whilst I was there that the consulate might be closing although that won't be for about a year.

In case it's any help I decided to travel up and back in a day although I had considered stopping in an hotel the previous night. I wasn't sure how difficult parking would be given that it was only a week until Christmas so I used a NCP car park in Pellet St as I could book that in advance. As it was there was a lot of space when I got there just after 10 and still quite a few spaces on the top floor at about 12:30 when I left. It was around 25 minutes to walk which wasn't a problem as the weather was ok but I could have used a taxi if not.

Not a bad experience at all and a friendly welcome at the consulate.

I think the application form on the website is out of date although that might have been updated by now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He applied in person at the honorary consulate in Cardiff and the visa was issued while he waited,

Thanks - that is a pretty good option. Just looked the website. Make an appointment first and then turn up and if all the documentation is OK it is issued. How soon after issue do you have to enter to start the 90 day period ?

Ubonjoe has got it right. No surprise. 

I think the next appointments are in the new year judging by a phone conversation I overheard. It's not much use if you're looking for a longer visa but for me at the moment it was ideal. My appointment was 11:15 but I think I got there just after 10 past and I was walking away just after half past 11. There was nobody else there when I arrived but I think 3 other people arrived whilst I was there and it was still quick given there was only one person there who I think was the son of the honorary consul.

Very helpful on the phone and in person.

4 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Sorry - so did you have to submit any documents in advance, or is it literally just turning up on the day with everything ?

Just phone for an appointment and then turn up with the required documents. The list I included was copied from an email they sent to me when asked about financial requirements and that's all I needed. I had a scan of my wife's ID and passport so I had both but of course some may not have a passport. I also had a copy of the back of the marriage certificate as well as the front which has the passport and/or ID number of both parties. My passport number has changed so I took my old one as well but they never looked at it.

If in doubt just check when you phone for the appointment. It might be worth checking if the application form you can download from the website is up to date. That will save time. nearly 10 minutes in my case.

I can understand your concern as it all sounds too easy. I think this is the same as the visa available in Savannakhet. That's where I was planning to go but it would have probably required a flight booking that I could cancel as I would have entered Thailand on a visa exemption. Then I'd have to travel to Lao and I've heard there can be queues.

My visa was based on marriage and I'm assuming you're looking for the same. If not then again I would phone and ask. I found them very helpful.

13 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Thanks - that is a pretty good option. Just looked the website. Make an appointment first and then turn up and if all the documentation is OK it is issued. How soon after issue do you have to enter to start the 90 day period ?

There are 3 other honorary consulates in the UK that offer the same service. One of them might be closer to where you live.

See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize/81958-Royal-Thai-Consulates-in-the-UK-and-Ireland.html

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There are 3 other honorary consulates in the UK that offer the same service. One of them might be closer to where you live.

See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize/81958-Royal-Thai-Consulates-in-the-UK-and-Ireland.html

Thanks for that. As it happens Cardiff is the closest.