The Thai Baht Reached a New 6-Year High. Here’s Why It’s Surging

rooster59

24 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Just a matter of time. The longer they allow the Baht to stay too high (to make military Imports cheaper?) the harder and faster will be the decline when it occurs. 

Apologies for having to edit your post I wouldnt normally do but only to highlight the point....."The longer they allow" Unfortunately they simply cannot be seen to be manipulating their own currency or risk the wrath of the USA as they are already on a watch list for just that.

Am sure the Thais would love it back out to 33 but easier said than done

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

And what do lower interest rates do?

Ok, I will explain for Sticky.

When Yinn put money in the bank, the bank pay Yinn for it.

If it lower, Yinn get less money extra money.

When Sticky need the loan, the bank take money for it. If it lower, Sticky pay less.

understand now Sticky?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The irony of course is this economy is sputtering along at less than 2.8 GDP. That's a horror show for a developing country.

Value and faith of a currency is in its GDP.

If Thailand loses its currency reserves it has serious issues.

I think tourism numbers will tank as soon as the world economy takes a downturn. If you rely on poor people to holiday in your country nothing good will come of that. There is a limit.

GDP (500 bill) growth of 2.8% in Thailand or 6.6% (of 239 bill) in Vietnam, it's almost the same number!

44 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Several factors are attracting investors to Thailand, making it a haven for foreign money. But its healthy current account tops them all, according to analysts at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. The International Monetary Fund forecasts the country will post a surplus of 6% of gross domestic product this year, almost double that of Japan

Before 2008 crash my country's currency was pumped in various ways
during the collapse it fell from 2 for 1 $... to 4 for 1 $ !

In 2009 GS boasted that made a great profit on it .

But even then my country was less dependent on exports

than Thailand now, and more on domestic consumption.

Edited by marqus12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, saengd said:

What nonsense! 

So Thailand successfully develops tourism and exports, for which they get paid in foreign currency and that's supposed to be window dressing!  Then overseas investors decide the Thai economy is attractive and they want to invest in it and that further adds to the foreign currency reserves!

THB is strong because of demand, just like any currency strengthens when it is frequently purchased, this has nothing to do with overseas Thai's.

THB is not a fully convertible currency, there are limits to the amounts that can be exported or held by overseas banks, that's why foreign funds can't take a position against the currency, it's nothing to do with the foreign currency reserves.

Whaaat?

Tourism has dropped for the past 4 years.

Do you see what is happening?

• Like 1

It took Donald over a year to find out Thailand our ally was using the Federal Reserve as their piggy bank. Donald forgot about Thailand after they agreed to buy mega coal from the USA. The baht has momentum at 26 baht per dollar by 2022. A smile and a wayyy is great for sleight of hand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

As it all things related to big finance, what always eventually comes after an absolutely bloated over-value, is a massive crash and over-devaluation.  The Baht is eventually going to crash and when it does it will crash big time - be prepared. 

the magic word here is "WHEN" because the majority of us is struggling and don't know for how long we can hold. It's an old saying everything that goes up has to come down but again WHEN

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

the magic word here is "WHEN" because the majority of us is struggling and don't know for how long we can hold. It's an old saying everything that goes up has to come down but again WHEN

Recession most certainly and coup/civil unrest probably but that wont affect the Bht direction like the last ones didnt IMO  unless theres an immediate policy shift and action by the BOT and Co forget a Baht currency crash for at least 5 years poss a decade. 

I have to reply to this one,

First, 2013 is about the time the militaries made a mess with democracy by kicking the current elected

government and that's the time the Baht started crumbling.

Second, trying to find excuses why the Baht is so strong it's an insult to people's intelligence.

The reason is the Thai Elite is investing heavily offshore and when the Baht 

will get back to where it should be, then the Elite will bring their money back to Thailand, et voila!

No more comments.

"All the money I earned through cheating, I lost it by earning it honestly"

• Like 2

IMF says the thai bath is overpriced.Morgan Stanley says the same.The strong thai bath is a problem for thailand.The only one who can effect the thai bath is centralbank they say.

I pay less for a beer in the pub in norway then bangkok.Porkmeat is cheaper in norway.

My wife said that the prices go up even in the local markeds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Problem?

Maybe can bring your money to thailand now is 30. Then not worry. Send it back when it 25. You can make profit.

We have more tourist coming, chinese make more factory in Thailand now. 

i think baht will be more stronger. Up to you. 

Your a funny girl. Bring my money here? That's a crazy notion. And ship it back out? Do you know the restrictions and hurdles there are that Thailand regime now imposes on the foreigners regarding doing that? And the Thai banks only guarantee a little in coverage. It is plainly not safe.

China can make all the factory they want here but they aint going to be selling the product in the USA under having a tax break if they trying to import Chinese material and ship it back out under Thai. US just doesn't want the Chinese junk anymore. 

Tourism is way down. Don't believe everything you read. 

If the baht get's stronger, you should cry instead of be happy. It only hurts your country and everyone in it except for the elite girl!

• Like 2