Trump suspends 40 billion baht worth of duty-free trade for Thailand

rooster59

I could see a connection as the US embassy and farm ministry were mentioning imports of soy, wheat, etc. into Thailand would be suspended. Meaning Thailand is probably going to ban the import of products that were treated with glyphosate and the other poisons. Otherwise this would all make no sense.

Correct but usually policy changes affecting international trade come with a grace period afforded to allow all parties involved the exporter and importer to adjust to the policy changes in a timely manner.

Current crops can not be included into the ban as this would be unfair without a timely warning that would allow growers and exporters to adjust to the new policy - unless a product is considered so dangerous that it would banned immediatetly world wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Dont agree with Trump on much but when it comes to stuff like this I am behind him.

Would there be a little or a lot of Machiavelli in Donald Trump?

Will he wait for the baht to collapse to give the green light to the arms manufacturers who will sell at high prices the armored vehicles and cartridges that the general Thai want to buy?

5 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Would there be a little or a lot of Machiavelli in Donald Trump?

Will he wait for the baht to collapse to give the green light to the arms manufacturers who will sell at high prices the armored vehicles and cartridges that the general Thai want to buy?

They will just cancel the order and walk away without any discussion. Easy innit.

48 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Monsanto is in German hands now so I am not sure if this has anything to do with the poison they produce which has been banned now in Thailand but it was about time. Why would Thailand enjoy special treatment under the GSP forever? It does hardly anything at all for the majority of regular Thais but only makes the filthy rich richer as Thailand climbed to the No 1 spot in the world for economic inequality between the poor and the rich.

The GSP program was meant to help 3rd world countries into their feet but not to substitute the corrupt super rich!

In cohorts with corrupt politicians - this so called “elites“ have created quasi monopolies reaping in billions pretending to be a poor 3rd world country that needs to be given preferential treatment!

EU should follow soon but their representatives in Thailand are either blind or in such desperate need for business that they pretend to be blind.

Thais have a word for what Thailand represents on the world economic stage - “Phuan-Kin” or “eating friend” who only shows up for the freebies would best describe this despicable behavior on heavily taxing imports while trying to export under preferential treatment status they should have been stripped off long ago and start competing on equal terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not disagreeing with your post, but “Phuan-Kin” or Ghin would mean " (My) friend eats. It should be "Ghin Phuan"- eating friends. 

• Like 1