Student Visa Declined to a Russian Citizen at VTE

I wanted to inform and alert anyone who might like to consider this info for their upcoming travel plans. I was in vientiane last week for Thai visa renewal I met a girl from Russia whose student visa application was declined a day earlier at the VTE Thai consulate. She has been in Phuket for a few months already without an issue (I can't remember what visa(s) she had) then she obtained paperwork to switch to a student visa but declined in vientiane consulate. She had a return ticket to the BKK airport next day so hope she was luckier there. There was a chatter in that group about getting a no-hassle 1 year Thai visa for 17.000 baht in the black market. It is unfortunate (fortunate for some disgraced middle-man and officers) that the recent visa mismanagement and chaos hurting reputation and economy of Thailand.

The person who mentioned no-hassle black market visa actually used that service, living in the Udon yet getting 1 year visa approved around Chonburi/Rayong area. I am guessing more foreigners going to that route to avoid being rejected. 

Edited by ubonjoe
removed quote of a removed post
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vientiane has gotten strict on issuance of non-ed and other visas.

If she had gotten one in the past year that is probably why her application was not accepted.

58 minutes ago, DaveCali said:

There was a chatter in that group about getting a no-hassle 1 year Thai visa for 17.000 baht in the black market. It is unfortunate (fortunate for some disgraced middle-man and officers) that the recent visa mismanagement and chaos hurting reputation and economy of Thailand.

That sounds like a rumor more than fact. They cannot issue a visa that allows a one year continuous stay.

20 minutes ago, DaveCali said:

The person who mentioned no-hassle black market visa actually used that service, living in the Udon yet getting 1 year visa approved around Chonburi/Rayong area. I am guessing more foreigners going to that route to avoid being rejected. 

That would be a one year extension of stay based upon retirement done at a immigration office not a visa. You implied in your post it was about getting a visa at the embassy.

Nothing new about that since they have been done under the table for years at some immigration offices. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If she had gotten one in the past year that is probably why her application was not accepted.

That sounds like a rumor more than fact. They cannot issue a visa that allows a one year continuous stay.

It is a fact not a rumor. There is a visa black market in Thai well known among some foreigners. Giving a one year extension to an expiring retirement visa simply means giving an additional one year stay/visa. I heard the group in udon no longer accepting new service requests as they fear they might be caught. They work only with the old customers. 

Edited by DaveCali
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, DaveCali said:

I guess the young Russian has not reached retirement age yet. Using an agent for retirement is common, just look at this forum advertisement coming up. 

Edited by visarunner

23 hours ago, DaveCali said:

Yeah a Phuket friend went to Patts and got the same issued in 48 hours.. He paid a air bit more tho. 

Since then I have heard Phuket folks going that route on Phuket. Nothing new about that really, always been there I just think its getting more popular as rules become harder for even legit applicants to cover every detail. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 2:43 PM, ubonjoe said:

My first ED visa in ~2014 was promised as 1 year worry free stay. The visa was for 1 year. In the beginning I had to renew my extension and do 90 days report but after a couple month I had to renew every 2 month and finally every 2 weeks. It was a mess. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tayaout said:

My first ED visa in ~2014 was promised as 1 year worry free stay. The visa was for 1 year. In the beginning I think I had to renew my extension and 90 days report but after a couple month I had to renew every 2 month and finally every 2 weeks. It was a mess. 

Are you saying you had to attend immigration (in Thailand) every 2 weeks to get 2 more weeks on your permission to stay? (Which is useless). 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Are you saying you had to attend immigration (in Thailand) every 2 weeks to get 2 more weeks on your permission to stay? (Which is useless). 

At the end yes. It was super annoying. 

21 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Yeah a Phuket friend went to Patts and got the same issued in 48 hours.. He paid a air bit more tho. 

Since then I have heard Phuket folks going that route on Phuket. Nothing new about that really, always been there I just think its getting more popular as rules become harder for even legit applicants to cover every detail. 

understandable for those who have nothing to lose and don't want to go home. i mean, what's the worst that can happen? get deported? 

not such a clear option for those with something to lose though

Edited by GeorgeCross