GoPro video: Pattaya to Bangsare on a Serpico 150

jing jing

https://youtu.be/YwQKgySYwQKgySwBaM

For your viewing pleasure, a longish (20 mins+) video of my usual commute from the cesspit.

I expect at least a few comments from the resident schoolmarms and traffic cops regarding violations of the vehicle code, however in my own defense I will say that I've been riding motorcycles since age 12, street licensed since 14, and all over Thailand since 2004.  Back in California my trusty steed is a Ducati 900SS; this ain't my first rodeo.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jing jing said:

I expect at least a few comments from the resident schoolmarms and traffic cops regarding violations of the vehicle code, however in my own defense I will say that I've been riding motorcycles since age 12, street licensed since 14, and all over Thailand since 2004.  Back in California my trusty steed is a Ducati 900SS; this ain't my first rodeo.

How many years of riding experience are required until it can be considered safe to break traffic rules?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

How many years of riding experience are required until it can be considered safe to break traffic rules?

Just count from 2014 until the current year and you will magically get your answer.

Your welcome.

All I could think of while watching this toooooo long of a video is what the duck would happen if somebody suddenly opened a vehicle door while Mr Dare Devil Show Off Crazy Farang was illegally racing between vehicles like he owned the road (and his host country).

As my former gf, who taught me how to ride (drive) in Thailand once said, "now you ride like Thai".

That's quite adequate for me. I never want to ride like crazy farang. I value life too much for that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, neeray said:

All I could think of while watching this toooooo long of a video is what the duck would happen if somebody suddenly opened a vehicle door while Mr Dare Devil Show Off Crazy Farang was illegally racing between vehicles like he owned the road (and his host country).

As my former gf, who taught me how to ride (drive) in Thailand once said, "now you ride like Thai".

That's quite adequate for me. I never want to ride like crazy farang. I value life too much for that.

I only watched some of the video. But in general it seems what people see in videos is often very different to what riders see when they ride the bike. It depends on the lens and other factors.

Some time ago I played computer games with bike or car simulation in which the user could chose different camera positions. It made a huge difference how a player perceives distances, speed, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jing jing said:

This just popped up on my YouTube feed:

https://youtu.be/GJPaYqLGJPaYqLdvOU

Compared to the Thai blokes I'm actually a very cautious rider.

i  just love  the  gentle  gear  changing and  love  of  machinery! that  an  the  windscreen  wiper  rev  counter. never  mind  scrape  whats  left  off the  floor  later.....not  much  in  the  way  of  brains  to  scrape  up  though.

Must  be  a  tough  job  for  the  police  to  track  them  down......guess sleeping  more  important.

Edited by Chazar

• 23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I only watched some of the video. But in general it seems what people see in videos is often very different to what riders see when they ride the bike. It depends on the lens and other factors.

Some time ago I played computer games with bike or car simulation in which the user could chose different camera positions. It made a huge difference how a player perceives distances, speed, etc.

With a background in professional photography and videography, I took that into consideration before I commented.

Decades ago, I showed my family a super 8 movie of our water skiing day. Parents were horrified. Obviously they couldn't comprehend that the optics made the event look about 10 times more risqué than it really was.

Still, I saw, IMO, too many chances taken here. Common the world over is a vehicle pulling out into traffic and being surprised by the unexpected; another vehicle coming at them at double the expected speed. I see it everyday. I am conditioned to it; many drivers are not.

Interesting: There is a thread and survey, just started now, about the road carnage in Thailand. And now I see another one just reported on by "rooster". So timely !

This "daredevil" video makes me wonder how many Thais will be inspired by it when they watch it on YouTube.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I tried to reconcile that hand with "your" picture...

Hand1.png.54f205737936f2600d525ea3ce1b5c21.png

At first I reckoned you were referring to the previous chap who wished me dead, while appreciating my unconscious habit of keeping a finger poised over the front brake lever.  Now it seems you were actually hand-stalking me. 

Weird, but not surprising around these parts.  

2 hours ago, jing jing said:

This just popped up on my YouTube feed:

https://youtu.be/GJPaYqLGJPaYqLdvOU

The GPS insert(?) shows a meager 150 kph while the speedometer shows 180+ :smile:

Which is wrong?

It won't be easy to find but I have seen a couple of final videos of this type throughout the years.

Some cry, some crashing sounds and final darkness.

Remember a foreigner at 210 kph shouting angrily because some truck turned into the road some 300m ahead. Crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1