Anyone using E-Money cards in Thailand?

Wondering about getting an E-Money card here, such as "True Money" (there are plenty of others).  Anyone have experience, good or bad, with various cards? 

Will use for on-line shopping such as Lazada.  Want to minimize risk of ATM card or credit card being "hacked" on-line.  Currently I pay cash at 7-Eleven.  Much more convenient to pay from the computer with an E-Money card.  But which one?  Suggestions, please.

Before posting this topic, I searched the forum for "E-Money" and "Money Card".  Found nothing.  Strange, eh?  I can't be the only expat considering using an E-Money card.

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

True Money Wallet is only available to Thais, I suspect many of the others are too due to the registration requirements, as foreigners we can't even register a 7-eleven card now.

Agree.

I had an order cancelled on Lazada and funds returned to my Lazada Wallet, which I had to "Activate". Tried, but could not as only for Thai's. Did not want a refund as still had things to buy. So had to get Lazada to give me vouchers to use instead.

I wonder if it's the Thai's going a bit overboard with all their anti-money laundering rules and regs.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Crossy  @phetphet  Yes, that's the problem.  (I fell into same situation with refund on Lazada.  Now waiting for the vouchers.)

So, now I'm wondering if there is any E-Money wallet that works for expats in Thailand ??

Reason for this: I subscribe to a news service about Internet Security.  Frequent reports of major data breaches at large corporations.  Not just identity theft for a few people, but 100's of thousands of card numbers stolen and offered for sale on the "dark net".  Some thefts even from point-of-sale terminals in restaurants and hotels !!  Virtually all data breaches are companies in the USA.  This is Thailand.  I'm under no illusions about quality of security here.  So if no E-Money wallets, I'll continue paying cash at 7-Eleven, rather than use debit/credit cards.

Bank transfer in Thailand arrive nearly instantly, so why don't you just pay with this? You only need online banking, and they can't steal any card number from you.

True wallet is ok, i used my girlfriends id card to register the account. Since a recent update the app now even offers English language.

I havent used/bought it, but if you are looking for a pre-paid card to use online - this Krungsri Gift card (different denominations) may serve your purpose.  30B issuance fee.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/PersonalBanking/CardProducts/giftCard.html#RemarkLink495

Your typical Bank App seems fairly secure - if worried about your main account - consider opening one dedicated for for small payments ... or line/rabbit pay.

23 minutes ago, tpkhk said:

I havent used/bought it, but if you are looking for a pre-paid card to use online - this Krungsri Gift card (different denominations) may serve your purpose.  30B issuance fee.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/PersonalBanking/CardProducts/giftCard.html#RemarkLink495

Your typical Bank App seems fairly secure - if worried about your main account - consider opening one dedicated for for small payments ... or line/rabbit pay.

When your gift card has only , for example, 105 THB left in credit, can you use it at a merchant for this amount and pay extra cach if the item is 500 THB ?

In other words, how do you use the small amount left in he card after other transactions are done ?

I have a Revolut card. However, it is only available with a UK address and phone number. The phone number can be changed, although I can't remember how it is done. I used a family address and my UK Skype number to register. I can transfer cash to the card from my UK bank, using my phone. I can also transfer cash to my card and then on to my Thai bank, using the phone. NO charges but I believe there is a top limit. The card is tap and go and the exchange rate is at the point of sale. Make the payment with the card and the amount you spent is on your phone in seconds, both in Thai Baht and UK pounds.

5 hours ago, blackcab said:

What about this from Super Rich (the well known orange coloured money exchange). I'm not endorsing it, just saying that it exists.

Considering it is aimed at tourists, you would hope they are well set up to accept foreign nationals as customers.

https://www.superrich1965.com/visitThailand.html

This sounds actually quite nice, especially the no foreign currency fee part.

Does anybody have this card and can confirm this?

The only downside which i could see is that it can only be topped up at Superrich branches.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, Crossy said:

True Money Wallet is only available to Thais, I suspect many of the others are too due to the registration requirements, as foreigners we can't even register a 7-eleven card now.

Latest version of True Money Wallet App for IOS now accept non-Thais.

I just registered using my passport and now making purchases at 7-11 using it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Latest version of True Money Wallet App for IOS now accept non-Thais.

I just registered using my passport and now making purchases at 7-11 using it.

Does it have an english interface? Last time i checked a couple of years ago it was all Thai.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, Crossy said:

For the 7/11 i got the new all member a month ago and i am not thai...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Yes, if you change the language to English all menu will display in English. You will need to use the latest version of True Money App, though.

Yup, just signed up, waiting now for the confirmation text.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yup, just signed up, waiting now for the confirmation text.

True Money app does not require money top up if you add your creditcard number. As soon as 7-11 shop cashier scan the QR code on your True Money app, your credit card will be charged with the amount of your purchase.

Edited by sanmyintmaung
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

True Money app does not require money top up if you add your creditcard number. As soon as 7-11 shop cashier scan the QR code on your True Money app, your credit card will be charged with the amount of your purchase.

doing it this way would avoid the minimum 300 baht purchase requirements?