Fired! But netizens and witnesses stand up for driver after altercation with farang

webfact

It's perfectly OK for passengers to take bicycles on city buses and encouraged with special racks inside.  As mentioned, it's not safe to ride in the city.  

I don't understand why the driver stopped illegally in the right lane and opened the door.  He simply should have kept going, despite the passenger wanting him to stop, and not opened the door.  It was totally unsafe for the passenger to leave the bus in the middle of traffic.  But, perhaps the passenger had been heckling him and definitely other passengers as mentioned in the story.

The city buses will, at times, stop at unauthorized places along their route if you ask nicely, but only if it's safe to do so.  They shouldn't be expected to pick up or discharge passengers in the middle of traffic.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Agree. No excuse for violence and assault. Wonder what these "nietzens" would be posting if the farang had assaulted the driver?

These reckless bus drivers are just as dangerous as the rest of them on the wheels switching lanes from right to left and viceversa that being said I can only assume that the westerner may have annoyed a passenger with his bike ( I personally wouldn’t bring a bicycle on the bus anywhere for that matter especially here ! ) Then the situation escalated at the point that the bus driver had to  intervene but stopping in the middle of the road ?!!! This would confirm just what I’ve said about driving dangerously but indeed violence doesn’t help even in this scenario and needless to say the Thais do stick together like superglue even if they’re tons of times wrong they’d never admit their fault-s !

I wonder why the guy who took the video lower his phone down unless he had to watch out for his life as well ????

I hope that bus driver does really lose his job because if his conduct and needless to say endangering everyone else by stopping where he did..????

Edited by Ramdas

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Fired! But netizens and witnesses stand up for driver after altercation with farang

No matter how badly a passenger behaves on your bus you do not start a fist fight... you quietly sit up front in your drivers seat, take out your mobile phone & call the police... let them deal with the guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

No matter how badly a passenger behaves on your bus you do not start a fist fight... you quietly sit up front in your drivers seat, take out your mobile phone & call the police... let them deal with the guy.

This is Thailand buddy, you were mostly right,

'No matter how badly a passenger behaves on your bus you do not start a fist fight... you quietly sit up front in your drivers seat, take out your mobile phone & start videoing. '

• Like 1

Not knowing the story, I suspect they were both in the wrong, but suspect the asshat with the bike more so. It takes quite a bit to make somebody snap like that. 

Not Chiang Mai, but I cycle daily  in Bangkok, and getting through traffic quickly and efficiently is one of the reasons I do it. For exercise I will ride to a park - suan rot fai, lumpini, queen sirirkit - where I can ride a measured loop in relative peace, for errands, I share the road with everyone else. My experience is that drivers are used to motorcycles and give a bicycle a pretty wide berth. In most cases, if congested, you are moving much faster than motorized traffic, even motorcycles. 

I question how it is more unsafe, especially since things move much more slowly at rush hour. 

Cycling at night is a different story especially in traffic as it is harder for drivers to see you coming unless you are lit up very well, the danger evening's and after dark is more of being hit by an opening  door than a moving car. 

If you take a bike on public transit, the onus is on you to be as unobtrusive as possible. 

Again speaking from Bangkok experience, I used to take my daughter to school mornings on Skytrain with my bike in tow, once I dropped her off, I would do 20 km or so on the way home. Without her accompanying me, I can't imagine why I would undertake the hassle 9f public transport. 

13 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, really bizarre as so few people have the high-tech facility to video these days.

Especially considering how long it takes to set up the camera... 

I honestly believe some folk on here will type any random, ill-considered nonsense, just to contribute. 

Staged indeed.