Not feeling welcome

DrJack54

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Geezus what are they doing here to the long term farang.

The only thing "they" have done is strengthen the Thai Baht, (foreign dollars worth less)

Retirement can mean living on a fixed income. Prices rise and you income falls -sucks 

Edited by Skallywag

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

There seems to be an attitude shift by Thai government and more pointedly some Thai immigration to make life hell for longterm expats...

Just when you think it can not get any worse...it does.

Adding to the anxiety and aggravation is that some folks are being encouraged to donate more baht to make their problems disappear...I think you get the picture...????

I do not agree with you. Before Thailand was a poor, 3rd world country that wanted pensioners under any circumstances,As Thai economy and wealth grew, along with more and more foreigners with no money, government has changed its attitude and now wants only people who have money.

Keep in mind, the amounts they want is still minimal in comparison to most developed nations.. Not saying $30 000 is small amount of money, but it is small in comparison to say what Oz requires for someone to get long term visa.

Of course as per usual, officials do interpret the new regs as they see fit, but with some creative thinking and assistance all can be still be achieved.

And yes, i understand the argument, that pension is still a lot more than what average or minimum wage thai makes, but due to Thailand growth small crumbs are no longer wanted.

On the bright side, the way economy is moving now and if it stays down the same path, their attitude may also change

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

in other words it will always be thailand first, guests last.

I am wondering if the people responsible oversee the consequences of their decisions.  

For example the insurance debacle. 

I didn't really delve into it, but I understood that many people were seriously worried. Some of them came to the conclusion that they had to move.

Somehow it was not understood that it is difficult to insure yourself when you are 80 years old.

Various government bodies began to explain the rules in their own way, which made the confusion even greater.

And now it appears that you can simply apply for another visa to bypass the entire hassle.

Had they not been able to oversee this mess before they came up with the idea of requiring insurance?

It seems that people are working there who are not capable.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If any country in the world toughened up their immigration and visa regulations, you would obviously expect some of the foreigners to leave, through either choice or necessity. What Thailand is doing now is slowly turning the screw until all but the richest ex-pats are left. They don't mind the wealthy ex-pats, or the 2-week millionaires, but everyone else is clearly not welcome. Forget your wife and family and forget your business in Thailand. They only want you here if you've got megabucks and don't mind sharing it around. Ex-pats eking out a living on under 1000 baht a day are definitely not wanted. 

Either come here as a tourist and blow your budget in two weeks. Or come here as a rich ex-pat and spend an absolute shed load of cash. If you're in-between these two groups you are SOL. Go to a much nicer country where you will be welcomed and not treated like a criminal for doing nothing more than coming too often (what a joke).

The entire country is mismanaged from the top down.

If I was very rich and not married to a Thai why would I ever come here more than once. That said if it's 5 star hotels , limos and private planes everywhere it would probably be somewhat different. 

• Thanks 1