Kampot

scubascuba3

I'm toying with going Cambodia to avoid the worst of Songkran, maybe just splitting my time between PP and Kampot, total week or 2.

A few questions on Kampot:

- Is it a place only good for a few days or is it a place you could stay long term?

- What is there to do?

- for those who have been, how would you rate it?

- anything else useful?

I've been to siem reap and PP 10 years ago and did all the tourist stuff. I live in Pattaya so i do like some life to a place

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm toying with going Cambodia to avoid the worst of Songkran, maybe just splitting my time between PP and Kampot, total week or 2.

I went to Phnom Penh for last years Songkran, there's a couple of days when all the shops are closed, but the bars, restaurants and convenience stores are all still open. No water throwing, I was told the police would arrest anyone throwing water in the city.

I enjoyed myself, plenty of 75c beers were drunk, not to mention a pizza with a 'happy' topping.

Kampot is popular with  westerners, daytrippers, backpackers and long termers young and old. It's main attraction seems to be that many businesses are foreign owned. If you don't want to have much to do with Cambodia or Cambodians it would appeal. Locals seem to be touristed out. Some bad behaviour. Locals not keen on barefoot tourists etc.

There isn't a lot to do. Go up Bokor, sunset river cruise. Most foreigners seem to hang out in foreign owned businesses all day. Lots of western food. There is a good Thai place if you are taking a Thai soulmate. Higher prices that Thai.

It has good scenery, river, mountain. The town is well laid out with wide roads and lots of roundabouts. The drainage cannot handle too much rain.

It would be busy at Songkran. Phnom Penh is fairly close so people would go there and Kep.

Some went there from Sihanoukville but many kept going to Vung Tau. Kampot too conservative for them.

14 hours is a quick replay for this forum. Electric often off in Cambodia.

Kampot is a pretty quiet, laid back place so might not be what you seek. Not a lot to do other than relax and kick back.

Also everyplace in Cambodia where there are things to do, will be packed with Cambodian tourists as it is New Year for them too. 

Maybe head for somewhere that does not observe this holiday, like Viet Nam?

Kampot is very laid back, way to many western owned eatier's serving so so food that seem to ONLY make money when they put them up for a over priced sale, a few bakeries  and lots of "happy" pizza places serving the same pizzas on the riverfront.

There some good khmer run places on river boats as well.

Not much to do , take a trip to Bokor, drive around a bit, swim in the river, day trip to Kep, ( a place i am moving to next year). But avoid on holidays
good $10-15 hotel rooms and even cheaper dorms.

its a backpackers place to just hang out

Long term accommodations for what you get EXPENSIVE compared to thailand.

Archived