Need Some Advice

M&M

I understand all the stuff that has to be done through the embassy - Freedom to Marry doc. etc.

What I'm not too sure about is the Cultural side.

As in paying a 'dowry' - is that still traditional in TL? If so, marrying into a 'good family' how much would be expected?

Are there any other cultural things that I would need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance

M&M

I understand all the stuff that has to be done through the embassy - Freedom to Marry doc. etc.

What I'm not too sure about is the Cultural side.

As in paying a 'dowry' - is that still traditional in TL? If so, marrying into a 'good family' how much would be expected?

Are there any other cultural things that I would need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance

M&M

There's no hard and fast rules. Trust me, it'd be easier if there was.

Expect to at least make a token gesture to this tradition. You finance will be the best person to ask about this as she knows the family traditions best.

As far as i have learnt about thai tradition, for the females parents to ask for a dowry is considered rude. However for you to offer a dowry (without being asked for one) was the old tradition. With this information i would be wary if my fiancee's parents were asking for one. This is what i have read about. I do not claim to be an expert on this.

If we stopped talking about everything that's been talked about already, the place would die fast.

Thats exactly it ! if we keep being repetitive, the forum will become boring and die anyway. As I said, there is a recent post covering this very subject extensively!

Talk to your girl ... be specific ...

Some families and groups of people still do sinsod and some do not ... the pinned topic is only opinions also :o and not at all accurate in all situations or with all subdivisions of Thai's

As in paying a 'dowry' - is that still traditional in TL?

Yes it is traditional "in some/many parts of Thailand".

Mrs BoJangles last week, successfully negotiated her nephews Sin Sot, down from 50,000 baht to 20,000 baht. They are both Thai but from different regions, he is 19 and she is 18.

Although i did think when the Mrs got involved, i would end up paying it!! But her family asked her to help as she is the strong one and she was just negotiating a better payment plan for her nephew :o

BTW, i didn't pay one as the mrs doesn't agree with it. However, this girl is from a different area that does believe in it, so she respected that.