Medical Insurance Thailand – The Dilemma

OK – Mandatory Health Insurance – many threads covering the newly implemented OA requirement.

I request the “solutions” in this thread. The discussions concerning the enforcement of the new requirement and who it will impact are far reaching and “at this point in time” unknown. How the new requirement is enforced we will know soon as it evolves. 

Quick search provided a couple of articles with actual numbers. Links and reduced copy provided below. 

Point is – a problem does exist. And not a recent problem – been going on for some time now. Earliest numbers below are from 2008. More than a decade ago. So, the hospitals have a right to complain and pretty much demand a solution to the problem of “non-paying” customers. 

So, I agree and admit that the problem exists. I understand that hospitals and health care providers are compassionate -but cannot work for free. 

The recent “solution” of mandatory insurance for OA visa applicants (holders?) does little, really nothing to fix the problem.

On a personal note, I am the spouse of a Thai citizen on a Non Imm O doing annual “retirement” extensions with THB 800k deposited. I carry a USD $1M medical insurance policy that covers both myself and my wife world-wide. It does not satisfy the Thai criteria, no OP and not a Thai Insurance provider. Yet, when I’ve used the insurance they readily provide a “letter of guarantee” the Thai hospital and do pay any invoices.

Now, the twelve authorized Thai insurance companies TGIA website do not, and will not provide medical insurance for many folk. If you are old chronologically - you are out of luck. Also, “exclusions” run rampant, making insurance policies “incomplete”. There is no “self insurance” provision. So, there are many folk who are "Uninsurable".

So, put yourself in the shoes of the administration. They have a valid complaint from Hospitals concerning “unpaid” bills of foreigners. And yes, medical service(s) is a deep and far reaching subject worldwide. Medical services are a “life” situation so they must be provided. There are many different methods of administering the costs associated with medical services. Which work and which work best?

What would be your solution? What steps or regulations would you implement to reduce, if not eliminate, the “unpaid” bills?

My input(s) multipronged: a) self-insurance provision (designated “medical only” account), mandatory travel insurance, travel insurance providers cannot “deny” claims – if the company sells travel insurance they must cover their clients, travel insurance part of the tourist visa fee, VOA or visa exempt stipulation of travel insurance or denial of entry (yes, the airlines will review before boarding), a government controlled assigned risk insurance pool for the “uninsurable” elderly population, resident (long-stay) foreigners able to access Thai health insurance public hospital (yes, with a buy in fee).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-news/217882/destitute-foreigners-and-thailand-hospitals

Destitute foreigners and Thailand's hospitals       24 Jan 2011     WRITER: JON FERNQUEST

PHUKET : State hospitals in the southern province are shouldering a heavy burden for treating elderly foreigners who cannot afford to pay their medical bills.

The state-run Vachira Phuket Hospital admitted a record 377 foreign patients, mostly Britons, in the 12 months to Sept 30, 2010. 

The hospital last year spent 1.3 million baht treating 17 penniless foreigners. It was the third consecutive year that the hospital had logged unpaid bills. 

The hospital bore costs of more than 1.2 million baht in 2009 for 22 foreign patients, a 50% rise from the 800,000 baht in costs to treat 17 patients in 2008, the centre said.

"These patients are mostly European men," the source said. "They didn't take out health insurance. They renew their visas every year and have no savings."

Some of them produced fake financial statements to have their visas renewed. Each foreign national seeking the renewal of his or her retirement visa must have at least 800,000 baht in their bank account or show they have earnings of at least 65,000 baht a month.

https://scandasia.com/uninsured-foreigners-burdens-thai-public-hospitals/

Uninsured foreigners burdens Thai public hospitals by Frederik Guy Hoff Sonne • March 7, 2016 

Three public hospitals reports of million baht expenses from unpaid hospital bills by foreigners.

ScandAsia have gotten insight in Vachira Hospital in Phuket’s outstanding balance on unpaid bills by foreigners and it counts almost 20 million baht negative in recent 8 years. Scandinavians forms 20 percent of this loss. Banglamoong Hospital in Pattaya and Patong Hospital in Phuket claims they have the same problem.

Methanee Marenia and Vachira Hospital are paying the consequences for this. Since they began to account for the losses in 2008, they have a total outstanding balance on 19.827.858 baht concerning a total of 189 foreign patients. In 2015 the loss counted 3.837.583 baht.

Dr. Bancha Kakong, Director of the Phuket Provincial Health Office, assess that the expenses are approximately 10 million baht a year for the Public Hospitals in Phuket. He also claims that Patong Hospital has an outstanding on around 2-3 million baht each year. At The Banglamoong Hospital in Pattaya they had a loss of 1.918.790 baht in 2015 from unpaid bills by foreigners. They can’t provide numbers further back than 2015.    

Scandinavians plays a notable part

Germans and Brits tops Vachira Hospitals list over outstanding balance since 2008 but Swedes are placed fourth with a liability for losses of 1.914.368 baht. Finns are eight with unpaid bills for 733.551 baht. Norwegians and Danes are listed 11th and 17th with respectively losses on 674.760 baht and 489.182 baht. 

In total Scandinavians are guilt in a loss of 3.811.862 baht at the Vachira Hospital. In 2015 it was 742.722 baht, merged with Banglamoong Hospital numbers from 2015 it’s a total loss of 787.454 baht in 2015 caused by Scandinavians unpaid bills. 

Tourists, young as old, and retirees living in Thailand are the usual suspects. People working in Thailand usually have a work insurance, so they very rarely loads the hospital, Methanee Mareni explains. 

“Thailand, and especially health officials in Phuket, are currently pushing to introduce compulsory travel insurance by law. Very soon, all tourists who want to enter Thailand must have travel insurance”, Dr. Bancha Kakong still suggest this, when ScandAsia spoke to him. 

Another likely proposal is being raised by Phuket Governor, Chamreon Tipayapongthad. He suggest to collect a landing fee for tourists so they have a minimum insurance when they enter Thailand. Chamreon Tipayapongthad has presented his view on the topic of travel insurance for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

At the Ministry of Tourism and Sports they don’t want to comment on these proposals. They state that they earmark around 200 million baht a year in a tourist fund to cover such losses at the hospitals and “help and support the tourists”. 

Methanee Mareni is familiar with the fund, but it hasn’t had notable impact on their expenses:
“We wrote a letter to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports 7 years ago for the first time, applying for money to cover expenses. Only one time have we received money from the fund”, she says. It was concerning the case when an Italian tourist was robbed and stabbed in Karon in 2014. In that case Vachira Hospital received 100.000 baht.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Tiny amounts of money in the grand scheme of things especially when you consider just how free the treatment for Thais is in places like the UK.

all visa's over 6 months require a NHS payment, even if working and paying tax

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, steve187 said:

all visa's over 6 months require a NHS payment, even if working and paying tax

I'm referring mostly to short term visitors.

Get run over by a car while on holiday in England and need a few days in the ICU and a couple of operations, no problem, it's free of charge.

In Thailand that's millions of Baht. That's why I spend thousands of pounds every year on top notch insurance.

It's also much more expensive for the basic insurance option here in Thailand than the paltry 400 pounds per year (15,600 Baht) they charge in the UK on a long term visa.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

The whole shamozzle can be summarize in a few words: This country is unable to come  up with a sensible solution to a real problem. What is currently implemented is glaringly driven by Thai laziness and corruption. Thereforeo we must buy some ridiculous, overpriced coverage, and many of us will have to paid for this in addition to expensive existing covers we can't and don't want to drop.

As far as I am concerned the way to fix this would be to assign to the Ministry of health the responsibility for validating of our insurances. They could do this via hospitals, for instance Bumrungrad, where I spend about 200000 Bahts a year, has all the details of my plan and can even evaluate its performance, they should be entitled to issue the certificate required by Immigration.

Edited by Momofarang
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, timendres said:

Agree with @ukrules that an extra 100 baht on the departure tax would more than cover any medical expense issues. That is (according to TAT) roughly 30M * 100 baht --> 3 Billion Baht. Done and dusted. That would certainly leave a lot of unspent money, which could in turn be distributed amongst all of the hospitals to help them improve their operations.

Makes it difficult to channel these funds into some hiso pockets. The tgia "solution" is way more effective with this regard.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, timendres said:

My hospital solves this problem with the simplest mechanism imaginable.

Before rendering service, they require an upfront payment in the amount of the estimated procedure.

Once completed, the actual amount is calculated and the bill settled.

Agree with @ukrules that an extra 100 baht on the departure tax would more than cover any medical expense issues. That is (according to TAT) roughly 30M * 100 baht --> 3 Billion Baht. Done and dusted. That would certainly leave a lot of unspent money, which could in turn be distributed amongst all of the hospitals to help them improve their operations.

In theory . The reality is the desire to pocket that money would be overwhelming

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ukrules said:

If the government wanted a solution they could easily increase this tax by 100 or 200 Baht per year and insure all foreigners to a basic level / cover any losses as it would bring in a massive amount of money but they choose not to.

The problem with that is they would just pocket the money and not spend it on what they justified adding it for.

• Like 1

We passed upon the stair.
We spoke of was and when. 
Although I wasn't there
He said I was his friend, 
Which came as a surprise
I spoke into his eyes
I thought you died alone
A long long time ago
Oh no, not me
We never lost control
You're face to face
With the man who sold the world
I laughed and shook his hand
And made my way back home
I searched for form and land
For years and years I roamed
I gazed a gazeless stare
We walked a million hills
I must have died alone
A long, long time ago
  • Like 1

Insurance at any price will not solve the problem because there are so many exemptions on what they will cover. Your preexisting condition is what is most likely to put you into hospital and that means no coverage for rich or poor. But if you exact a tourist fee to cover visitors without insurance then nobody would get insurance. How about everyone arriving in Thailand must sign a form before exiting Immigration that any unpaid medical service automatically gives permission for that hospital's doctors to use you for medical experiments at 2,000 baht per day until your debt has been resolved. (A little humor for a difficult problem.)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

it is very simple ....1. those new applicants on all visa categories to be requested a health insurance .

2. those already approved inside to be requested to join the public health care system with mandatory contribution as for example in germany.

wbr

roobaa01

And have you ever tried to join this German public healthcare system? 

You declare your assets, pay income tax and then they assess your monthly payment based on your wealth. Most likely outcome is buying private insurance  (because you have not worked in Germany) = pay big, get no more than govt. insurance will pay for treatment You don't even get free emergency treatment like in UK. 

You picked a really poor example by choosing Germany. 

1. They have every foreigners address reporting on thousands of papers.

Also we must all go to immigration or pass through a border or airport sooner or later. 

Why can't these people (supposedly) not paying bills be caught up with??

I seem to recall, even a few Ex Isaan GFs claimed they could get me stopped and in trouble at the airport. 

So why cant the authorities do it? 

lol.

2. I currently read about this Thai 30baht health scheme...

So surely millions of Thais are getting free health care, 

which must be what is essentually a "loss" of billions upon billions?

Consider the amount of foriegn currency being brought into Thailand by tourists, longstayers and money in bank for visa..

Then consider the loss of a few foreigners not paying bills against a nation of Thai people racking up billions on free healthcare..

it must be minuscule in comparison.

Nup, this is just a nasty, nasty move, however you want to look at it.

Its virtually saying:

" Thailand is for Thais..

we dont care how much you farang bring in, support our poor (whom we dont care about)

buy homes you cant own..etc etc..

you farang will NOT be allowed to get away with 1 satang"

5 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

it is very simple ....1. those new applicants on all visa categories to be requested a health insurance .

2. those already approved inside to be requested to join the public health care system with mandatory contribution as for example in germany.

wbr

roobaa01

Why do you think expats on 1 year extensions based on retirement if using the money in the bank method can't go below 400k from March 1? 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Why do you think expats on 1 year extensions based on retirement if using the money in the bank method can't go below 400k from March 1? 

This is the silliest part of it all.

If an O-A retiree should spend any of that 400k on anything , even a health issue , he/she will not be able to apply for an Extension next time.

So you tell us all what its for ?

On 11/2/2019 at 1:37 PM, The Man Who Sold the World said:

So, I agree and admit that the problem exists. I understand that hospitals and health care providers are compassionate -but cannot work for free. 

I don't agree the problem exists.

White foreigners are required to submit a copy of their passport before any medical care is started.

Let's have a list of the names and nationalities of all the non-payers, before we admit any liability.

Or is it 99% the non-payers are Asian? (Cambodian, Burmese, Viets, Laos)

Most of whom are illegal workers?

And if it is anything other than a money grab from what they see as wealthy marks.

Why not let us buy proper insurance, from proper insurance companies worldwide.

Instead of these worthless Thai products.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

This is the silliest part of it all.

If an O-A retiree should spend any of that 400k on anything , even a health issue , he/she will not be able to apply for an Extension next time.

So you tell us all what its for ?

I always saw the 400k as a prop for a countries ailing banking system.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't agree the problem exists.

White foreigners are required to submit a copy of their passport before any medical care is started.

Let's have a list of the names and nationalities of all the non-payers, before we admit any liability.

Or is it all the non-payers are Asian? (Cambodian, Burmese, Viets, Laos)

Most of whom are illegal workers?

Government hospitals don't have same routines as private hospitals. I know for sure that earlier it was easy to leave without paying and some hospitals didn't even ask for the passport. At private hospitals the don't let you go anywhere on your own before paying the bill. 

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always saw the 400k as a prop for a countries ailing banking system.

Always? The never go below 400k limit started March 1 this year, about the same time they came up with the health insurance with a minimum coverage of 400k for O-A Visa holders. The police order was released in April. I don't think that those matching sums are a coincident. And thai banks have no problems what so ever financially, and they have nothing to do with requirements for expats. 

On 11/2/2019 at 3:17 PM, timendres said:

Before rendering service, they require an upfront payment in the amount of the estimated procedure.

When I lived full time in China (10+ years) they had the same policy 

if your admitted to hospital for surgery etc. It works and gives the

hospitals whether your intentions are to pay or not. 

I had angioplasty (thru wrists) one for operation and one in other wrist Incase of problems. At check in they go over the procedures

for each day and estimated costs. 

You paid or provided insurance the next morning before procedure.

The room charges were minimal less than $100 USD. Which was not required to be paid daily. I was in hospital 3 days.

Large private AC room with couch and refrigerator, if family was staying to get food etc.

Pay as you go and scheduled operations etc, would be paid.

If an emergency it could be left unpaid but non pay occasions

would decrease. If car accident and other person at fault make

them responsible.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:17 AM, timendres said:

Once completed, the actual amount is calculated and the bill settled.

That is an excellent idea. Too bad it hasn't already been implemented so there would be less stress and confusion for the expats that truly want to stay in Thailand.

On 11/2/2019 at 6:17 AM, regularguy said:

My proposal would allow anyone to deposit 440,000 bhat into a dedicated Hospital Savings Accont (HSA). You could open this account at participating Thailand banks. The bank could get a small fee to open this special account. With this dedicated HSA account the banks would only allow you to do a debit transaction at any Thailand hospital by locking in only hospitals by merchant ID number. You would get declined if you tried to use it for any other type transaction. You would also not be allowed to do an atm withdrawal. If you closed the account at anytime during your extension you would not be able to get the next extension.

Each year prior to going to immigrant for extension you would get your bank letter and passbook updated just like those using 800k balance. If you useany of the money in the account during the year you just reload the account back to 440k prior to the next application date. If you don’t use the funds that year, you just carry over to the next yea.

This solves the problem of age restrictions and pre-existing condition exclusions and less paperwork for the hospital having to deal with insurance coverage issues

Within a week an "agent" will find a way to work the system and make money.