How is it so many THAI People Survive in America When You Cannot

bwpage3

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Which investment gaurantees a profitable return with no risk of losing money ?

None. But doing nothing is a guaranteed zero. See what I mean? It is always excuse. Ebay doesn't pay enough.... 300 baht in a day is better than nothing. You have to take risk to make gains. I thought this is why people left the nanny state that kept everybody so safe in the first place?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

None. But doing nothing is a guaranteed zero. See what I mean? It is always excuse. Ebay doesn't pay enough.... 300 baht in a day is better than nothing. You have to take risk to make gains. I thought this is why people left the nanny state that kept everybody so safe in the first place?

Risking losing your minimal money by investing it isnt an excuse either .

Investing is similar to gambling and you could lose everything .

What can you buy in Thailand, sell on e.bay and make 300 Baht profit ?

57 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Risking losing your minimal money by investing it isnt an excuse either .

Investing is similar to gambling and you could lose everything .

What can you buy in Thailand, sell on e.bay and make 300 Baht profit ?

Plenty actually.

You don't even have to go out and sweat at Chatuchak. Plenty of things you can find at the air-conditioned mall for resale. 

It's not easy because as with any research you have to invest time. A lot of trial and error too. Take a good picture and think of catchy title. Small, cheap things that are light  to ship should be a good start. I will not tell you what as no one gave me valuable information for free. 

And no, I don't do eBay. Much better places to sell online. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You didn't read very carefully.

Not from wealthy families

Older in their late 60s and 70s

Not professionals, many can barely speak a few words of English

Does debt matter, when the question was how did they get here in the first and how are they financially able to survive when many Americans are living in Thailand on nothing?

Aside of the few that did married, how did the rest legally get here and get established to the point they are financially surviving here better than most Americans are making due in Thailand?

So they are driving Merc's/ BMW's so they are obviously successful or have been.  Not quite sure how you know about their family wealth unless you are saying because of the way they dress and speak you know they are not.

Many people, Thai's included can be quite resourceful.  Many thrive when abroad and don't wilt up and run home with their tail between their legs because they cannot hack it like some people did....... eh

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I doubt very seriously there are tens of thousands of Thais in Florida alot of these people are Vietnamease, Cambodia,and Laos. I am from New Mexico we have a smal community of Thais mostly Southeast Asians who fled the Vietnam war and the ensuing aftermath. These people work hard to get ahead they are not slackers like a lot of the folks trying to retire on pennies in Thailand.

• Sad 2

On 11/5/2019 at 7:35 PM, Number 6 said:

Live 15 to a house, 4-5 to a room.

Six people will buy a house, sell in five years, three people buy two houses, six people buy six homes. Like that.

Eat Thai food which is free if they or someone in circle or family works in resty. Otherwise, cheap anyway.

Buy those cars on credit.

Asians are good savers. Often work hard.

Thais like Filipinos love to weave themselves into government jobs if they can. Not as good at it as the Pinoy but they try.

Overstaying visa.

Many don't get ahead honestly.

I have to aggree, recently I read this story that happened recently in NZ, https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/five-members-family-behind-21-thai-restaurants-in-nz-sentenced-2-3m-tax-evasion The whole family were committing tax fraud.

And considering an abysmal amount of people pay income tax in TH, I wouldn't be surprised if they do it abroad also. Not derogatory, it is fact.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

People who have retired are not slackers, they are at the end of their life and are enjoying spending their savings/pensions/accumulated wealth.

... AND you aren't even allowed to work here, not possible to get a work permit on retirement or thai elite visa, not possible to own a company yourself, not possible to buy land, not possible this, forbidden that... That's why people do good in the US, it's a "free" market, everyone has a chance. Simply not the case here.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 7:56 PM, bwpage3 said:

You didn't read very carefully.

Not from wealthy families

Older in their late 60s and 70s

Not professionals, many can barely speak a few words of English

Does debt matter, when the question was how did they get here in the first and how are they financially able to survive when many Americans are living in Thailand on nothing?

Aside of the few that did married, how did the rest legally get here and get established to the point they are financially surviving here better than most Americans are making due in Thailand?

Take off your Rose Colored Glasses , first you say they are not from wealthy families or professionals but then say they drive Merc's and Corvets. Have big homes and only one family living in it and are in their 60''s ---70's.  You ask how did they get there get all that while us poor US expats have to run to Thailand to survive on pennies?  For one anyone can migrate to the US even though it may take time. Why are all the illegals trying to cross the border in Mexico to come to the US? Because it is the land of oportunity and they can make money.  Even if illegal we can't just jail them put then in detention camps. They are given after awhile a court date to hear the merits of their request for asylum . Yheh like they ever going to show and in sanctuary states like Californiathey are given a drivers liscense, we have to educate their kids  in a public school , have to feed the kids in school have to feed their parents by giving them food stamps, ect. For legal aliens they can get small business loans to open a restaurant, laundry, whatever--can we farang get a business loan in Thailand ? Can we own land and then rent it like they can? And as said earlier they open a Thai restaurant charge $8---$10+ USD for a plate of Pad Thai that I pay 35 baht here. They bring over other family members, live together  and make more  moneythen spread out open more restaurants and then caan by merc's /homes

But the Thai population in the US has actually gone down. Used to be 350,000 Thai now estimates are 300,000. Why? Unlike the 3 1/2 million Phillipino that work overseas all over the world and send money home the Thai actually like Thailand and return home after making a lot of cash. I met  hi-so Thai girls when I lived in Boston ,MA who went to school there and owned restaurant there. Sold business and returned to Thailand opened club but still own home in Fla  to visit sometime.

And for your information I lived in Boston ,MA one the most expensive cities to work/live in. When I sold my home and retired I could have easily moved to Florida (lower cost housing/taxes) warmer weather but I have always been with younger women and decided to move to Thailand. You don't think I and other US citizens could live more cheaply in the US? We could move to Florida/Texas from expensive areas and have Health insurance thru Medicare/Medicaid Obamacarecheaper cost of living and social care programs for those not so well off. You know most of the guys come here to retire and marry a much younger pretty Thai girl that they would stand no chance to have in US or be hasseled for "robbing the cradle"  If we jsut wanted cheaper living we would have gone to Phillippines or South America.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 7:18 PM, sirineou said:

No argument , that the immigration system in the US is a lot more fair than in Thailand. But the US is a much different country than Thailand. It is a country of Immigrants, where thailand is not, It is a much wealthier country than Thailand. and a much bigger country than

You can not compare Apple pie with Some tom. 

How can you say the immigration of the USA is more fair than Thailand. Pretty much anyone can come to Thailand and live with there easy requirements and to even immigrate to the USA takes way more financials and time. 

50 minutes ago, 448glb said:

How can you say the immigration of the USA is more fair than Thailand. Pretty much anyone can come to Thailand and live with there easy requirements and to even immigrate to the USA takes way more financials and time. 

As a tourist and that's all you'll ever be, in the US u'll get a greencard and citizenship sooner or later, they actually value people who contribute to the economy. 

If you have money it's easy anyway, you can just invest 1 mio USD (or 500k in a rural area) in the US and get a passport with the immigrant investor visa.

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

AND you aren't even allowed to work here,

So you would work for ~27 baht an hour in LOS, when minimum wage in Florida is close to 300 baht an hour?

Name one job or business you could profit from in LOS running it with EU or American workers?

10,000 Thais out of 21.6 million population (Florida) is a pretty small percent to case anything on.

Were almost no caucasian americans who could work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week at the fish canneries in Alaska.  Mexicans worked hardest followed by vietnamese and filipino. So definitely being a hard working people who are willing to work jobs americans will not is a road to opportunity from my experience.  

24 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

So you would work for ~27 baht an hour in LOS, when minimum wage in Florida is close to 300 baht an hour?

Name one job or business you could profit from in LOS running it with EU or American workers?

Not so much about EU or Americans working for others ... it's more about not allowed to work at all!

Just as a small example. A guy retired here, great carpenter ... get's a lot of requests to fit in kitchen furnitures, fix things etc. 

If he would be allowed to work and legally setup a small business ... he could easily make a good amount of money per month. 

That list is long ... many guys could do a lot of things here ... but as you know, it's all restricted by xenophobia and unfair market conditions if you want to set something up.

What the OP posts is completely nonsense, non-comparable and does not make any sense to even start ... when no one can work here, not even get's a residence status?

Edited by RedPill

1 hour ago, 448glb said:

Fair and difficult are two different things. Though I will agree with you that sometimes difficult can be unfair.

in the instance of US immigration the difficulty is not because of unfairness but because of structural difficulties do to the number of people that want to come to the US. If a lot less people wanted to come to the US it would be alot easier,. Much like traffic going to work in the morning, It is difficult but it is not unfair. It is a structural problem.  Once the structural problem of the morning traffic is overcome the road is wide open. And everyone is treated the same way according to well publicised rules.

In Thailand the road will never be wide open, the rules are not well publicised, and not everyone is treated the same way depending on the location, interpretation, and mood of the immigration officer.

Might like to refer to the Bureau of Economic and Business Research. 

Figure 2 provides a more detailed look at the composition of the Asian population by selected groups in Florida. The figure presents data for eight Asian groups (Asian Indian, Chinese including Taiwanese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Pakistani, Thai, and Vietnamese); each of these groups had a population exceeding 10,000 people in the 2010–2012 ACS statewide. Also displayed are estimates for “Other Asians,” which is an aggregate category for Asian groups with smaller populations and includes Bangladeshi, Cambodian, Hmong, Indonesian, Laotian, Malaysian, Sri Lankan, and other Asian (not specified) groups. Figure 2 shows that Asian Indians represent the largest Asian group in Florida, accounting for over a quarter of the total Asian population in 2010–2012. The next largest groups were Filipinos, Chinese, and Vietnamese, each representing about 15–20% of the total Asian population. From 2005–2007 to 2010–2012 the share of the total Asian population that was Asian Indian, Filipino, Japanese, and Korean declined slightly, while Chinese, Pakistanis, Vietnamese, and other Asians increased their share; the proportion Thai remained relatively stable.

fig2.png

The topic is skewed. I retired to Thailand due to being able to have a working middle class Retirement That I cannot have in the USA and I am far from alone. The Chiang Mai Consulate has stated they serve some 17,000 Americans in N. Thailand but they are here for various reasons. There are some 40 K foreigners in the greater a Chiang Mai region. So yes I can afford a much better retirement on my $2400.00 (USD) per month here than I could have in the US. Working For income is a different matter entirely.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, samuisurfer said:

I think the question was why us people cannot afford to live in us and run to los when thai go to us and do well...why this us people cannot make it in their own country when thai can.. ???

a very very good question... 

Because they have more options 'by law' ... like legally being able to work, own property and get residency status, maybe even a passport etc!

In Thailand, you either bring your own money from the outside or you can leave again. That's it ... it's a very short story. 

Edited by RedPill
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, samuisurfer said:

I think the question was why us people cannot afford to live in us and run to los when thai go to us and do well...why this us people cannot make it in their own country when thai can.. ???

a very very good question... 

Didnt we all "make it" back home and thus emigrated to better climes ?

The Thais in the USA need to work , we dont need to work .

We have "made it", now they are "making it"

Edited by sanemax
  • Like 2

I can't speak for Thais. But, my best friends, in the States, were Vietnamese, or Cambodian. 

One thing they do is work their butts off. My Cambodian friends owned 2 donut shops (most US donut shops are Cambodian owned). The family manned the shops, from 2am, until 6pm 7 days a week. 

One day a year, Christmas, they would all rent a "wan" and went to Las "Wegas", gambled themselves silly, then returned to their SoCal shops. A member or 2 would take a day off, from time to time. But, the shops never closed.

Born in Florida lived in Los Angeles but guess I wasn’t paying attention to Nationalities much people were people. Difficult to 

generalize one shoe fits all. People with inner drive to succeed 

typically do.

• Like 1