O/A visa and insurance experience today

5 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Yeah, I think you could well be right, but I don't see what is the legal basis for excluding foreign companies. It would be very interesting to know the process and criteria for being listed on the TGIA site. Who decides which companies appear on it, and how do they decide?

As usual here, the utmost in government transparency... NOT!!!

But seriously, I believe, the TGIA is basically the trade association for the Thai insurance industry, and has a roster of participating member insurance companies.

I would imagine, once this mess got rolling, they all had an opportunity to decide if they wanted to get involved in marketing insurance policies to the O-A and O-X visa recipient community, which of course, is going to require some level of multi-lingual capability among the insurance staff....  Some may have decided they didn't want to bother with it.  Also, some may be focused on lines of insurance other than health.

https://www.tgia.org/member-EN

Objectives of Thai General Insurance Association

1. Promote and support the operation of enterprises related to insurance.
2. Solve the obstacles and problems including negotiating with third parties when requested by members for mutual benefits in the undertaking of enterprises that are in the objective scope.
3. Conduct researches on the type of enterprises that are in the objective scope.
4. Promote cooperation, unity and exchange of ideas among members, government agencies, or other institutes.
5. Compromise disputes among members or between members and the outsiders.
6. Collaborate with the government to promote the activities of members of the Association.
7. Establish regulations for members to practice or refrain from practices to ensure the integrity of the enterprise regarding insurance.

etc etc etc...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Pacific Cross is a Thai company and is one of the companies on the website. My policy is approved to meet the regulations and my agent told me yesterday that it had been uploaded on the TGIA database. They will also sync my next policy (January 2020) to whatever my 1-year extension date is (November) and prorate the yearly fee accordingly. It's a 10,000,000 baht policy.

That's exactly what they're supposed to do... to make things work under the O-A regime!

7 minutes ago, lkv said:

Only if you apply for a visa outside.

For extension, it must be Thai, and authorised (meaning participating in the tgia scheme).

It's pretty clear from the Police Order that no foreign insurance will be accepted for an extension of stay.

But, that wouldn't necessarily prevent a person from obtaining annual O-As and a new foreign insurance certificate along with those, obviously requiring a trip back home each year. But as I've said several times, we really don't know yet whether first year means the first year only of the program, or more probably, the first year of any given O-A visa.

If that were possible, of course, it wouldn't do anything for extensions of stay. But it might be a way of staying in Thailand on an ongoing basis on annually issued O-As and keeping only a foreign insurance policy.... Assuming the visa holder stayed in Thailand all year and didn't travel out until just prior to the end of their original one-year term under the visa.

Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that Thai Consulates and Embassies abroad will continue to allow new O-A applications in future years and will allow foreign insurance to be accepted as part of the O-A application process...  And as long as a person has an O-A visa with an insurance notation from the Embassy or Consulate, that should satisfy Immigration for the duration of that visa.

• Like 1

Lots of complaints about Thai Consulates and Immigration not accepting foreign insurance coverage and specifically "TRICARE" for US military vets and dependents.   But no actual reports of someone trying to use TRICARE to qualify for this insurance requirement, and no reports of TRICARE being asked to provide the certification letter - just speculation that it will not be accepted.

Also, while requesting the US embassy to intervene on behalf of this issue is a good path - and it appears US State Dept is already doing so ..... might I suggest that if you have TRICARE coverage - you start contacting TRICARE directly to see if they will supply the required certification.

When a company which provides insurance coverage in a country sees that there is a new requirement - they generally don't just abandon the business... their legal department jumps to work, and they satisfy the need.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, La Migra said:

Lots of complaints about Thai Consulates and Immigration not accepting foreign insurance coverage and specifically "TRICARE" for US military vets and dependents.   But no actual reports of someone trying to use TRICARE to qualify for this insurance requirement, and no reports of TRICARE being asked to provide the certification letter - just speculation that it will not be accepted.

Also, while requesting the US embassy to intervene on behalf of this issue is a good path - and it appears US State Dept is already doing so ..... might I suggest that if you have TRICARE coverage - you start contacting TRICARE directly to see if they will supply the required certification.

When a company which provides insurance coverage in a country sees that there is a new requirement - they generally don't just abandon the business... their legal department jumps to work, and they satisfy the need.

I am a member of a Tricare facebook group in Thailand.  We are planning to write to the Embassy about Tricare insurance and would like to see us added to their website. 

32 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I believe you are correct but it's a long haul to go from Thailand to the US simply to avoid Thai insurance but the cost  might actually be cheaper .  IMO it would be better to let the O-A lapse and attempt to get a Non O which carried no requirement for insurance.

Some folks -- apart from the O-A insurance mess and any Thailand visa considerations -- make more or less annual trips back to their home country to visit family, for the holidays, etc etc...  It's possible, an annual O-A visa application process with foreign insurance could be added to that on an ongoing basis.

But yes, an O visa and then converting to an O visa-based extension of stay would be another way to avoid the O-A insurance mess, at least for the time being. Some folks, though, like the advantage of the O-A in being able to keep their money/finances in their home country and not have to import it into Thailand.

Of course, the day may also come when the insurance requirement is expanded beyond just the O-A sector, and that could very well end up pulling the O visa into the same racket... It hasn't happened yet, but there's a lot of speculation it may be coming.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I would also add that as part of a review on this issue - the Government  should seriously consider allowing anyone on a long stay entry or extension to buy into the Thai Social Security  system (Medical Only).  The rate paid by anyone in this system is 457 Baht per month which allows use of Thai Government Hospitals and any private Hospital that  accepts the coverage. As part of this- a co-pay  could be attached to stop any frivalous use of the system.

i think that this is a brilliant idea. the average thai gets to pay 457 baht every month of his or her working life meanwhile Jonny Foreigner turns up for 12 months and gets his bad lifestyle choices fixed for a pittance. i can see this being wildly popular with expats. thais not so much.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

i think that this is a brilliant idea. the average thai gets to pay 457 baht every month of his or her working life meanwhile Jonny Foreigner turns up for 12 months and gets his bad lifestyle choices fixed for a pittance. i can see this being wildly popular with expats. thais not so much.

Imo it's indeed a good idea worth considering.

Also nobody would object if the annual premium for Jonny Foreigner would be doubled or even tripled (depending on age of participant) and that would be fair as the subscribers would be in the higher-risk bracket of +50 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

They could make another approach:

Sell a lifetime membership in the Thai social insurance, maybe for 500k (the average employed Thai pays about 250k in the system in his working life)

Charge a premium for preexisting conditions. One time payment, insured for life.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I completely understand and agree.

Suggest you write your Embassy.

And whatever you do, do nto chose option b) above. Solves one problem but leaves you wide open to worse ones.

Not all companies are reasonable.  For example, Health Care International (HCI) based in London (and popular in some places in Thailand, such as Hui HIn and Chiang Mai) insists on a much higher premium to add OP coverage in some cases plus insisting on being reviewed once again by their underwriting people.

1 hour ago, brianj1964 said:

After many members saying I was here illegally and facing overstay fines and bans, recent reports have been positive, I might sleep better tonight 

you'll really sleep better when you go to a local immigration office and enquire about whether your stamp is correct, or you can spend the next 11 months 3 weeks reading every post on TV about insurance. your call :jap:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

you'll really sleep better when you go to a local immigration office and enquire about whether your stamp is correct, or you can spend the next 11 months 3 weeks reading every post on TV about insurance. your call :jap:

I'm going up to Kalasin in 2 weeks, I would have to show my passport to the immigration there to inform them of my presence, then I will know, given that it's not only me, at least 4 in the last 24 hours is there a possibility that I have committed no crime?

Edited by brianj1964
Add more content
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Only the Thailand based insurers are listed on the TGIA O-A insurance website.

The foreign insurers, there's no O-A list of them. It's simply a matter of making sure the policy covers Thailand and has at least the required minimum OPD and IPD coverage amounts, and then having the foreign insurer sign and certify that on the form itself.

That is requiring a lot of them.... but if they want the Thai based custom! And who wants to shell out 50-100,000 baht on something that might not work at your immigration office. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

I renewed my Extn of Stay on ground of Retirement on 10 October (Kap Choeng). That was my 3rd renewal after O/A entry in 2015 & renewal in 2016. I have no health insurance.

If I exit Thailand between now & October 2020, with a reentry permit, am I safe to be readmitted without insurance?

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

Thanks. I thought I probably was but reading TV makes one nervous.

Currently I have 11 months before having to face whatever the cold hard facts of insurance-in-Thailand are by then ... Hope for the best, prepare (eventually) for the worst.

• Sad 1