15 dead, 5 injured in Yala shootout

webfact

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

MY BKK friend also married a girl from Yala, but they had to give the marriage party twice, once in BKK and one in Yala...Nobody from BKK would go there, even not when they offered us a hotel and transport.

And when i was in Phuket 15 years ago with other thai friends the muslims all came to me for a picture together, there seriously was a queue of 20 of them waiting for it. It was at some famous sunset place at the beach.

I don't understand why Thailand wants to keep this area....

Can you imagine the loss of face were they to let it become independent or part of Malaysia, assuming they wanted it?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Can you imagine the loss of face were they to let it become independent or part of Malaysia, assuming they wanted it?

Wait patiently. Very soon some people will want a part of the West to govern and have their laws and customs exclusively.

I dont know if there will be a loss of faces or a introduction of new faces, then. IMHO, if there are terrorists, an iron fist is the only solution.

When a dog has ticks, the owner will treat it appropriately, isn't it? Apply the same treatment.

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Bet it is at least ten generals on every thousand other ranks/soldiers.

Hope you have more money than military experience...because you would lose that bet in a very, very big way.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It does make me wonder. With manpower in the order 357,000 plus a slightly larger number of reservists, (2015 figures) why is that 'village volunteers' are manning vulnerable check points instead of professional soldiers?

Professional soldiers are busy manning free business class seats on Thai Airways flights or sound asleep in the senate discussing important junta policy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It does make me wonder. With manpower in the order 357,000 plus a slightly larger number of reservists, (2015 figures) why is that 'village volunteers' are manning vulnerable check points instead of professional soldiers?

If you have to ask this question then maybe you should do some thinking, deep thinking?

I doubt if you are any better informed than I am regarding the capabilities of the Thai army. But THEY ARE the Thai army and security of the nation is THEIR JOB.

Their motto is: 'For the Nation, Religions, Monarchy, and People'. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly these checkpoints can't be terribly effective or well trained, if the insurgents were able to kill all but two of the armed volunteers without taking any fire themselves.  I would guess the motive was also to make a statement to the authorities.  It seemed like they were already quite well armed including with assault rifles and only got pistols and shotguns which are readily available on the black market.  They will now have to take increasing pressure from the Thai army trying to hunt them down. 

Just goes to show how easy it is for a few men with assault rifles on full auto to hose done a group of unsuspecting people sitting closely together.  Probably better to disband the volunteers since they are just targets and a source of weapons for the insurgents.  They would need a lot more training, better weaponry and technological aids to be an effective fighting force.  The government seems to think that giving them a few elderly Remington pump action shotguns and letting them buy their own pistols at the civil service welfare price is a substitute for training.   

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

This is not Europe.

The people are not immigrants.

The people are majority indigenous, Malay, Muslim.

They have been since the 13th century.

It was their place.

Ruled by a Sultan.

The region never asked or wanted to be "integrated" into Siam/Thailand.

It never asked to be subject to Thaification - Wikipedia

It was forced.

Thailand is reaping what it sowed.

As did Britain in Ireland, the Netherlands in their "East-Indies" and France in "Indo-China" and Algeria.

The history maybe so but the killing is not justified and those doing it will reap what they have sowed and on it goes world wide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

what were the armoured personnel carriers purchased for? this area should warrant at least one permanently stationed within this troubled area

I went to Pattani and Yala a couple weeks ago and saw some armored vans being used by the police. Not sure if those were the same vehicles you're talking about.

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

This is not Europe.

It was their place.

Ruled by a Sultan.

It was forced.

As did Britain in Ireland, the Netherlands in their "East-Indies" and France in "Indo-China" and Algeria.

Do you know your history of Ireland especially NI? Obviously not. To compare the southern provinces to island is unbelievable and on no level are they comparible . Read the history of those provinces obviously from non Thai sources and you do not have to go that far back 1930's ~ 1946. Then read the history of NI (which is what I think you are trying to compare). The British troops were sent to NI to protect the catholics from prodistant aggression and the Ira twisted and used that help to better their mafia (organised crime) cause. Catholics are the minority in the North. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Andrew Kiong said:

Oh, and before any smart Alec say I have mis-interpreted the above, FYI the above IS THE INTEPRETATION from Islamic scholars themselves! I’m only posting THEIR interpretation, verbatim.

Thank you for researching that one.
in those times, for warring tribes in arid areas, many rules would have been logical.
Transposed to modern times, too much of the meaning applied literally leads to excesses that have to do with lust for power, maybe even wealth, and very little with a desire to argue the virtue of one religion over the other, which is a pointless debate anyway, but especially between followers of old testament and believers in the same essence, just using different names.
Inquisition revisited.

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

This is not Europe.

It was their place.

Ruled by a Sultan.

It was forced.

Are you trying to justify the brutal killing of 15 village volunteers? 

These people with a so called 'cause' who go about taking the lives of innocent people are sub-human in my opinion. Like in the UK, the Manchester Arena bombing, or the London Bridge attack. If someone thinks it's ok to kill a random person in the name of their cause, they are beyond evil. No matter what the cause is. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

This is not Europe.

It was their place.

Ruled by a Sultan.

It was forced.

Population boundaries have constantly been redefined through human history.  At what point do you say the clock should have been stopped, and everyone gets to keep the property they occupied at the time?  Obviously before the 12th century.  

Do do you believe that natives should be located for every place on the planet who occupied land at that time, and that land should be handed over?  

7 hours ago, webfact said:

15 dead, 5 injured in Yala shootout

Why in the name of Satan doesn't get the Government work together with the Army. The army got all the new Toys now, make them use them. Let the army get serious about it and sort out this Murdering Campaign or give the provinces back to Malaysia where they belong in the first place.  

Jump to History - The deep south belonged to the Malay sultanates of Pattani and Kedah, while the northernmost part of the peninsula was under the control of Bangkok

My stepson is an NCO in the Thai Army, thankfully not stationed in the South. I dread the day he might be posted there.

An earlier poster said the Thai (Military) Government has kept the media away from the 'problems' in the Southern Provinces, which like the carnage on the roads goes on and on unabated,

The only time it is seen on Thai TV is when a few of the plethora of Generals enjoy a photo 'op' in a hospital to hand over a bunch of flowers and goodies to an injured soldier or civilian.

My sincere condolences and sympathy to the families and friends of the deceased and injured.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Using locals is probably part of a well thought, wise, strategy of de-escalation. 

3 minutes ago, BenBen23 said:

Using locals is probably part of a well thought, wise, strategy of de-escalation. 

Probably a  correct assumption. Unfortunately the  factional desires that keep this issue of insurgency rolling are more interested in self than populace.

This  not  a  muslim  majority versus a Thai  infliction of  control. It is multiple  factional muslim aspirants who use mafia style tactics to impose localized power. 

Even if the Thai Govt. were to establish a  corridor through  to Malaysia and  let these mongrels  have their  personal battles for a  Caliphate left to te side  the problems  would  continue.

The ridiculousness of it is  is that the majority of the victims  are their own  and they  are not  even  in favour  of  the radicalist  imposition. 

• Like 1

My condolences to the families of those killed.

Any event involving insurgency is saddening and on this scale even more so. It isn't any good to discuss the why's on such a hotly debated modern issue but, like many other martial art instructors, I've come into contact with those who anticipate physical contact with insurgents. Indeed, have had contact with army personnel training Thai soldiers in anti terrorism techniques. Soldiers are of a mindset that in the event of war or similar circumstances, that they could die at any point. Police don't have that training because upholding the law implies a lesser contact with dangerous individuals and they usually a special division/branch that deals with expected violence. This then questions the use of volunteers in any circumstance where there is a persistent threat of being wounded let alone death. I am not suggesting that volunteers may lack training (though I don't know if that applies here) but to put them in a 'front line' position (a check point) is surely unwise to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

This is not Europe.

It was their place.

Ruled by a Sultan.

It was forced.

If someone that can't be named had of left them alone in 1909 this might not be happening ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Why in the name of Satan doesn't get the Government work together with the Army. The army got all the new Toys now, make them use them. Let the army get serious about it and sort out this Murdering Campaign or give the provinces back to Malaysia where they belong in the first place.  

Jump to History - The deep south belonged to the Malay sultanates of Pattani and Kedah, while the northernmost part of the peninsula was under the control of Bangkok

Army and govt same same ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I agree with the above comments and would like to add what were the armoured personnel carriers purchased for? this area should warrant at least one permanently stationed within this troubled area

Good idea.  Once in place the rebels can use the guns they just stole to commandeer that vehicle; because, like the checkpoint I am sure it would be manned by local volunteers.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

This is not Europe.

It was their place.

Ruled by a Sultan.

It was forced.

It is my view held for many years that these provinces should be returned to Malaysia.  All displaced Thais are moved anywhere in Thailand at the Govt's. expense and get additional compensation to move to make it worth their while and cover expenses of lost houses and businesses. This may involve one or two million to be moved over a period of time.

All Thai Govt. funding and other assistance to these provinces would cease.  Schools and Govt offices closed.  Banks closed.  Anything assisted by the Thai Govt. closed. The Army of course would be removed from their protective role once everybody who wanted to had moved.  Those that choose to stay do so at their own peril.  In other words give these provinces nothing and make Malaysia pay for everything.

The Army can be given permission to shoot dead anyone coming out of the returned provinces heading north to make trouble.

Radical? Yes.  Expensive? Crazily so.  Take time? Yes probably 5 years.  Stupid thought? Probably.  But after 10 - 15 years or so of not having to support an Army and Govt.  presence there nor have innocent Buddhist killed for some BS cause by the cowardly murderers and terrorists going under whatever name they choose this week it would pay for itself.

Should have been done years ago.  Maybe just a figment of my imagination that this could all be done anywhere near successfully.

Edited by johnnycthedog
Correction.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1