Visa for Permaculture Course?

Hey y'all,

I'm thinking of heading to Thailand early 2020....and looking at a few centers there that do permaculture / natural building courses.

Does anyone know if I need a special tourist visa, or a student visa, or a work visa?  It's not 'work' and it's not 'volunteering'....  Does it matter?

Information on the immigration website seems to be a bit all over the place....

It might depend on how long you expect to stay in Thailand. There is no issue attending school while in Thailand on a tourist visa, but you can only stay for 60 days. 

It is usually more of an issue when the training is used as a reason to remain in Thailand for longer periods, as in ED Visas. 

• Like 1

If you wish, you can attend courses while on a tourist visa.

If the school where you intend taking the course is recognised by the Thai Department of Education, it may be possible to get a Non Ed visa to study there. The best idea is to inquire directly with the school as to whether they are suitably accredited.

• Like 1

Hello Travis,

Hopefully one of the places you are looking at is mine ???? With more than a decade teaching hundreds of students in both PC and natural building here in Thailand, the other responses are exactly correct. As our project is also a licensed learning center, we can obtain visas for longer duration stays if required and we always register our students with immigration according to the regulations.

Wherever you decide to go, you should not have a problem.

Edited by akaika
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...