Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

16 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

I thought that was going to be she couldn't make up her mind whether she wanted to be a boy or a girl.

Transhumanism is not yet with us. But I'm sure it will be soon; with all this AI.

It will soon be possible to uoload everything in one's brain up into the Metaverse. Then the body will be simply excess baggage. But we will live 'forever'. Date, get married, and have kids. Just like now.

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I thought the same HP. I think he meant to roll the ball to the next bowler, or his captain, but it hit the stumps instead.

Never mind. It's only a ball game. I have many relatives in Oz. Most of them in NSW. If they think they are getting a Christmas card (albeit an ecard) they can forget it.

I like swimming and the Ozzies have had some of the greatest of all. Dawn, Grant Hackett, Glen Housman,,,, I could go on ,,,. the Thorpedo and Kieren Perkins.

As for their cricketers! They have produced some of the finest ever cricketers.

But a bit lacking in chess. Can't name any of note.

Being so virile down here the bishops and queens keep getting tangled up in our chess hair… ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I thought the same HP. I think he meant to roll the ball to the next bowler, or his captain, but it hit the stumps instead.

Never mind. It's only a ball game. I have many relatives in Oz. Most of them in NSW. If they think they are getting a Christmas card (albeit an ecard) they can forget it.

I like swimming and the Ozzies have had some of the greatest of all. Dawn, Grant Hackett, Glen Housman,,,, I could go on ,,,. the Thorpedo and Kieren Perkins.

As for their cricketers! They have produced some of the finest ever cricketers.

But a bit lacking in chess. Can't name any of note.

Easily explained, Owl. Australia has truckloads of sunshine and outdoor activity.

OTOH, most of the chess champions come from cold climates, where the inhabitants have to stay indoors, or freeze their nuts off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Easily explained, Owl. Australia has truckloads of sunshine and outdoor activity.

OTOH, most of the chess champions come from cold climates, where the inhabitants have to stay indoors, or freeze their nuts off.

Bang on the money there bro'.

Considering the size of their population the Ozzies have over-performed. Ozzie rules footy. Surfing. Sheep sheering. Tennis and the other great sports.

Jamaica the same. Tiny little place, but can they run and bowl a cricket ball?!

As for chess. The USA has had its fair share of geniuses. Not always cold there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money there bro'.

Considering the size of their population the Ozzies have over-performed. Ozzie rules footy. Surfing. Sheep sheering. Tennis and the other great sports.

Jamaica the same. Tiny little place, but can they run and bowl a cricket ball?!

As for chess. The USA has had its fair share of geniuses. Not always cold there.

I must admit Kiwis ( New Zealanders ) are actually better shearers than Aussies.

Some years ago, I watched a shearing competition at Omarama, in the middle of the South Island of NZ.

The shearers were using hand shears, not powered machine shears. They were nearly as fast as the latter.

One Aussie sport, which may not get much exposure elsewhere, is wood-chopping. Start the video at 4 minutes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I must admit Kiwis ( New Zealanders ) are actually better shearers than Aussies.

Some years ago, I watched a shearing competition at Omarama, in the middle of the South Island of NZ.

The shearers were using hand shears, not powered machine shears. They were nearly as fast as the latter.

One Aussie sport, which may not get much exposure elsewhere, is wood-chopping. Start the video at 4 minutes.

Just fantastic!!! Not seen that before in Oz. Thanks for that L.

The Canadians do an outback survival sport. Includes wood-chopping and log rolling. Also wife carrying. Be a good one to have in Pattaya.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The Canadians do an outback survival sport. Includes wood-chopping and log rolling. Also wife carrying. Be a good one to have in Pattaya.

The Canadians presumably would be chopping into softwoods such as cypress and pine. The guys in the video are cutting into eucalyptus hardwood.

The axe blades are as sharp as razors. I remember an accident at Rutherglen, when a competitor lost his grip on the handle. It flew into the spectators, and severed the arm of a woman.

I understand the Issan lassies in Pattaya are a bit heftier than the Thai norm, I'll stick with my 40-42 kg GF as far as any carrying goes.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The axe blades are as sharp as razors. I remember an accident at Rutherglen, when a competitor lost his grip on the handle. It flew into the spectators, and severed the arm of a woman.

That's sad to hear. Good job it didn't hit her neck.

I did read somewhere that wood-chopping and rowing were the most energy-sapping sports. Looking at the state of the competitors in the vid. I can see that is true. They looked exhausted at the end.

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The trick of course is to be strong enough to be able to carry them far enough away that they can’t find their way back home… ????

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The swimmers from down under are setting light to the pool at the World Champs in Japan. Two world records on the first swimming day. Ms Titmus was simply fantastic in the 400 free.

Don't know if there are any Thai competitors. I'll check and report back.

Edited by owl sees all

19 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The swimmers from down under are setting light to the pool at the World Champs in Japan. Two world records on the first swimming day. Ms Titmus was simply fantastic in the 400 free.

Don't know if there are any Thai competitors. I'll check and report back.

From what I have seen at the condo pool, most Thais dog-paddle.

Aussie swimmers are good because there is a lot of taxpayer-funded organization support behind them.

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Aussie swimmers are good because there is a lot of taxpayer-funded organization support behind them.

To be fair to the Thais; there are a few at this level.

Phiangkhwan Pawapotako, Navaphat Wongcharoen, Jenjira Srisaard and Dulyawat Kaewseiyong are all very decent swimmers.

Don't know if any are in Japan for the worlds. If any are I'll give them a shout.

My fav' swimmer David Popovici is in the pool later for the 200 free.

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

We started our kid with group swim lessons at age 5, some of the kids have gone on to competition meets. Some of the kids were much younger than ours. I think in the rural areas the kids don't actually learn to swim. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

We started our kid with group swim lessons at age 5, some of the kids have gone on to competition meets. Some of the kids were much younger than ours. I think in the rural areas the kids don't actually learn to swim. 

My kids were taught very early, they were in the pool at weeks old. 

There are many drownings in rural areas. I know an English man who lost a daughter, very sad. 

Years ago, I saw many kids swimming in klon saen saeb, Bkk, when I was commuting to work. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My kids were taught very early, they were in the pool at weeks old. 

There are many drownings in rural areas. I know an English man who lost a daughter, very sad. 

Years ago, I saw many kids swimming in klon saen saeb, Bkk, when I was commuting to work. 

The lady who lives next door to us lost her son to drowning a couple of years back. They were at the farm and took their eyes off him for a minute. That's all it took for him to wander off and fall into the pond. He was about 4.

• Sad 1

Fantastic race in the world swimming championships in Fukuoka, Japan this evening, in the final of the 200 freestyle. Brits go 1, 2. Close! Just 2 100s sec between them.

Matt Richards took gold, and Tom Dean silver.

Thai. Dulyawat Kaeweriyong swam, and ranked 43rd of the 200 free competitors.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 12:54 AM, pickettywitch said:

Im in the village and the farms here _ and you at 75 still bloody climbing ladders _ how many expats regret that after slipping!

Point taken PW.

1839155612_fixroof04.png.ee15f4ff4ffde0a433b6b7a686e48d78.png

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Is the ladder propped up properly by a couple of bricks Owl ?

????

Mildred was looking at the ladder. She said she would give a shout if it started to slip. But she went off to take a couple of pics.

1075327111_fixroof05.png.f999abd9ebc8fc264254b12e18cb6138.png

No worries. I knew what I was doing. Not sure I had three points of contact though. Whatever that is!?

That pic was a few months ago. A bit more careful nowadays.

Gonna trim some pf the eucas in the next few days. I have a special way of doing them. Not all that dangerous. Unless the tree moves. Should be OK.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1