International Space Station

Speedo1968

I live about 50km south of Khon Kaen, outside a small town with clear evening skies, when not cloudy of course.

This time of year there are good views, eyes only, of the ISS

I have often seen a star ( ? ) trailing a long long way behind, half a sky.

Tonight ( Tuesday Nov 14 ) there was another very bright object in the sky close to, in sky terms but trailing the ISS.    It's bright shape, slightly twisted, mimiced that of the ISS but was about 50% smaller.

Can anyone tell me what it was ?

There is a 'singing' kite in the evening this time of year but it stands out as a black object.

• Haha 1

I use ISS Detector and the International space station is very active over Thailand for the last and upcoming few weeks

We can see it even with the high light pollution caused by Nong Nooch.  My girlfriend has become an expert at using the app and is usually the first one to spot the ISS

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runar.issdetector&hl=en

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Haha 1

The ISS live now app does what the ISS detector one does - telling when and where it can be seen in the sky, and allowing notifications to be set, but also has a live video feed of Earth from the ISS:

image.png.3e8cb40bb6c0c67fd12361b4df25eba6.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nicedayapps.iss_free&hl=en  for the free one, or pay 32 baht for the HD version

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nicedayapps.iss&hl=en

• Haha 1

Thank you to those of you have commented on the ISS.

I spend a few hours each day, early mornings ( 4.30 - 5.30am, 4pm - 6.30pm ) exercising outside so have many opportunities to see whats in the sky.
I am well aware of the seasonal positions of the ISS where I live.

My question is as in my original post - What is tailing the ISS, especially as it has a very similar shape and is not to my knowledge a star or planet and certainly not a plane or kite.   Has anyone else noticed this other object ?

11 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

My question is as in my original post - What is tailing the ISS, especially as it has a very similar shape and is not to my knowledge a star or planet and certainly not a plane or kite.   Has anyone else noticed this other object ?

Does this object travel in the same direction and speed as the ISS itself? I do have a theory about it.

I get great views of ISS from the lane just outside our village, but never seen a 'ghost ISS' behind it. I'm intrigued by this.

Just now, wgdanson said:

Same story, different people.....Demelza is the main lady.

First came the book, then the radio series, then the film, then the new film. And now it's on TV.

Just goes to show, a good story can have a long life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thank you to those of you have commented on the ISS.

I spend a few hours each day, early mornings ( 4.30 - 5.30am, 4pm - 6.30pm ) exercising outside so have many opportunities to see whats in the sky.
I am well aware of the seasonal positions of the ISS where I live.

The object following it on a similar track was a satellite or part of a rocket that launched a satellite. Some of them can be seen without binoculars. I have the Heavens Above app on my phone and it shows all this stuff, directions, time, brightness etc . ISS is due over Chiang Mai tonight at about 18:10 for a few mins coming from the SW heading NE. 

Sometimes the astronauts on board the ISS will be active on amateur radio (144MHz or 433MHz band), and with a relatively small antenna and even a handheld radio receiver, you can hear them. If you have an amateur radio licence and a transceiver instead of a receiver (but still just a handheld), you can even talk to them yourself. With some more advanced equipment you can receive pictures, etc.

• Thanks 2

This post prompted me to go onto YouTube's live feed from ISS. I just watched Earthrise....absolutely stunning.

Are there still people out there saying the Earth is flat?

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

The object following it on a similar track was a satellite or part of a rocket that launched a satellite. Some of them can be seen without binoculars. I have the Heavens Above app on my phone and it shows all this stuff, directions, time, brightness etc . ISS is due over Chiang Mai tonight at about 18:10 for a few mins coming from the SW heading NE. 

Well, it could be a satellite, you certainly can see them at around the same time as you would see ISS, but it would be quite a coincidence for 2 objects to be orbiting at the same speed and direction.

My theory involves weather, cloud to be more precise. I think it's probable that @Speedo1968 was viewing ISS through a thin layer of cirrostratus cloud.

He can see ISS through the cloud but he's also seeing a refracted (bent light) version as the light passes through ice crystals and appears as a 'ghost ISS' following behind. The distance between the 2 would vary according to the angle that the light passes through the cloud.

It's the same effect that sometimes causes a halo around the moon and much more rarely a 'double sunset'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_sunset

10 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I use ISS Detector and the International space station is very active over Thailand for the last and upcoming few weeks

We can see it even with the high light pollution caused by Nong Nooch.  My girlfriend has become an expert at using the app and is usually the first one to spot the ISS

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runar.issdetector&hl=en

I use a BS detector from Lazada but the alarm on it operates continuously everytime a government minister speaks,,,,,,

• Haha 1

It just passed by fairly low in the sky to the north.  I couldn't see anything trailing it from my place.  Anyone else see it?  This will be the last time we see it for over a week.  Could be that the trailing light was a ghost image caused by refraction in the atmosphere.  Either that or swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and refracted the light from Venus.

image.png.2dc5aa6ef4465578de8ded7dd1466eb3.png

• Like 1

Attempting a serious answer, you may have seen a supply ship making a delivery. I saw this once. The following craft would come racing toward the rear of the ISS, then dock with it. They replenish the astronauts supplies and pick up some of the waste. It was a hell of a sight; thought they were being attacked. 

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Does this object travel in the same direction and speed as the ISS itself? I do have a theory about it.

I get great views of ISS from the lane just outside our village, but never seen a 'ghost ISS' behind it. I'm intrigued by this.

Thanks for your interest and would be interested in your theory.

I wouldn't call it a ghost as the light intensity seems to be the same for both objects.

They seem to be traveling WSW but speed, sorry no idea.   They are visible before total sunset and very clear by 6pm.

I only have my eyes to look at the objects and of course the patience to sit down and watch for some time.

Both objects seem to be traveling in the same direction and maintain the same distance apart.

This is observations from sitting in the park at the same place and from my house about 200 metres away, from about 5pm until 6.30pm.

17 hours ago, ballpoint said:

It just passed by fairly low in the sky to the north.  I couldn't see anything trailing it from my place.  Anyone else see it?  This will be the last time we see it for over a week.  Could be that the trailing light was a ghost image caused by refraction in the atmosphere.  Either that or swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and refracted the light from Venus.

image.png.2dc5aa6ef4465578de8ded7dd1466eb3.png

It seemed to stay the same distance apart and was too bright to be a 'ghost' image.

17 hours ago, tifino said:

how often are resupply approaches, and departures?

Co-ordination of orbital heights and speeds would be also something that probably takes half an orbit to complete too?

Many thanks for that, had never thought about that.    Guess I can look online to try and find out, if such things are shown.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks for your interest and would be interested in your theory.

I wouldn't call it a ghost as the light intensity seems to be the same for both objects.

They seem to be traveling WSW but speed, sorry no idea.   They are visible before total sunset and very clear by 6pm.

I only have my eyes to look at the objects and of course the patience to sit down and watch for some time.

Both objects seem to be traveling in the same direction and maintain the same distance apart.

This is observations from sitting in the park at the same place and from my house about 200 metres away, from about 5pm until 6.30pm.

I've already anticipated your interest. See my post #16. I love watching ISS myself, but I'e never seen this 'double image' effect. ISS can be seen, from the observer's view point, to rise in the NW and travel SE or rise in the SW and travel NE. It depends on which phase of its orbit you're seeing.

By the way, have you seen Venus & Jupiter in the evening sky, just after sunset?

19 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've already anticipated your interest. See my post #16. I love watching ISS myself, but I'e never seen this 'double image' effect. ISS can be seen, from the observer's view point, to rise in the NW and travel SE or rise in the SW and travel NE. It depends on which phase of its orbit you're seeing.

By the way, have you seen Venus & Jupiter in the evening sky, just after sunset?

Thanks Moonlover, I read your Post#16 yesterday after having made a new reply.

I am about 50km south of Khon Kaen off the Bangkok highway.

In the evening sky around 6pm the ISS has just passed overhead and setting towards the WSW, i.e following the setting sun. 

Last night was cloudy but I will try and photograph next time I see it, only have a small Cannon pocket camera.