How many Expats plans are on hold due to the property slow down?

14 minutes ago, GWS said:

I purchased a large sea view low rise 100+ sqm well designed condo in a then 2 year old building, 4.5 years ago in Pattaya. Building is well maintained and full of expat owners. High rise condos are now so overpriced and combined with the every increasing baht you are guaranteed to lose on a purchase. Even if i was to sell which i have no plan too, at 20% less than i paid for it i wouldnt lose. 

If i had to buy a condo now I'd probably rent. Thailand is asking western prices for 2nd rate quality and finish.

Agreed!????

• Like 1

Since the 'good guys in, bad guys out' campaign, there where a lot of nice real estate objects to buy. 

And in these days many objects are to have for peanuts from all the panicers and income-letter liars on the run. 

With enough cash in your hand you can still make bargains. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Agreed. Property prices are on the decline, a fact that seems to have been missed by many locals. Looking for a new house recently around Pattaya I found many landlords asking for rent they have no chance of getting, but because they got that 5 or 10 years ago, they think it is still viable. Even when their now older property has been empty for a year or longer, they still don't get that they have to settle for less. And when they can't rent, they try to sell for again unrealistic numbers.

There is an oversupply of property and you won't rent or sell unless you are ready to accept what the market will bear, however painful that price might be.

To be honest, your last sentence "There is an oversupply of property and you won't rent or sell unless you are ready to accept what the market will bear, however painful that price might be." applies almost anywhere in  the world.

The value of my UK property which I bought in the eighties multiplied by 7 times up to about 2006. In my area, you almost never saw "For Sale" signs - just "Sold" as they went under offer before the sign installers could get to them!

During the 2008 recession, it's "value" dropped to "only" (!) about 4 times what I paid for it.  Come forward to 2019, I had my place valued, out of interest and for insurance - the suggested sale price is now the same as it was in 2009 BUT in the last 5 years, the area has been full of "For Sale" signs. In reality, none of this actually bothers me as I'm not planning to sell any time soon.

A very different market for very different reasons but nonetheless  the principles of perceived vs real market values apply along with those of supply and demand,

And, to @4MyEgo  - I couldn't agree more. As a single person, why would I ever buy a property that I might not even be allowed to live in  OR  be able to sell? I actually took that stance 10 years ago, deciding that if I did move to Thailand I'd always rent.

Finally @baansgr I've just downloaded "The Big Short"  - looks good ????

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

I've been trying to sell our house in Mae Taeng for a couple of years and have reduced the price to very low levels and have very few people interested. Or those that are interested are Thai people with no funds.

Apparently not low enough.  Sounds like you’re chasing the market down rather than getting out in front of it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GWS said:

I purchased a large sea view low rise 100+ sqm well designed condo in a then 2 year old building, 4.5 years ago in Pattaya. Building is well maintained and full of expat owners. High rise condos are now so overpriced and combined with the every increasing baht you are guaranteed to lose on a purchase. Even if i was to sell which i have no plan too, at 20% less than i paid for it i wouldnt lose. 

If i had to buy a condo now I'd probably rent. Thailand is asking western prices for 2nd rate quality and finish.

Impossible to be full of expat owners.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

LOL - do you know how long it actually takes to find then buy a piece of land, then clear it, find an architect, get planning permission, prep it (flatten/drainage), then actually build it, put the gardens in, design the interior, deal with all the BS at EVERY STEP, etc, etc..

thats where the two times price comes in! - 2 years of

You comments makes it sound as if you are doing everything yourself. You a a real broker to find the land, you have an architect to draw up the plans, you have a surveyor, you have an engineer and then maybe you work as the general contractor or not. IN the USA if you make a 12-17% profit you have done well. Name one  investment that returns 300-400% in two years. 

• Like 1

Thanks to poster above roadrunner...

We've not even touched on the abnb phenomenon. I could only imagine what it's like to have paid 4m thb to live in a Chinese hotel.

Further, anything that should end up litigated won't. Everything else isdecided against you.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Yeah, but can you breathe the air in Chiangmai? So many properties for sale there now, they drop the prices but still cannot sell.

Chiangmai property market either House.s or Condo.s for sale or rent .is a shot bird

presently its a Buyers/Rental   market with very few takers in both .

And FWIW  worse to come

• Like 1
  • Sad 1