How many Expats plans are on hold due to the property slow down?

How many Expats plans are on hold due to the property slow down?

By Dan Cheeseman

waiting.jpeg

I get at least a dozen emails each week from fellow expats who have read an article or seen a vlog on Dan about Thailand and they either relate to it or have some questions; and yes I even get those that want to moan or tell me how bad my content is!

The subject of properties has become increasingly common. There has been a growing trend from expats who say they cannot rent or even sell their condo and so for the short term at least they have had to put any plans on hold. It’s a shame, but in life nothing is ever certain, and so we should expect some variables to come along and put a spanner in the works!

One retiree I knew in Hua Hin has just had to return home due to poor health and try as he might he was unable to sell on his condo before he left. He is back in Australia now and his condo sits empty in Hua Hin. This kind of thing is not uncommon.

I too have a condo in Pattaya that four years ago would have commanded 50k baht a month rental, nowadays I cannot even rent it for 30k baht. Issues like currency fluctuations from the Thai baht, Sterling to Aussie dollar are putting a strain on the Western property market in Thailand.

It is not only restricted to Thailand I should add. By all accounts the property market in the UK is somewhat depressed over uncertainty to Brexit.

I remember when the Spanish property bubble popped and it impacted thousands of Brits with villas there, but by all accounts this market has recovered somewhat and prices are increasing again following the crash over 10 years ago.

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2019/11/20/how-many-expats-plans-are-on-hold-due-to-the-property-slow-down/

cropped-Logo-Alternative.png?fit=300%2C5

Weekly Vlogs and Blogs from in and around Thailand

• Like 2

Before the internet hype money was made with Real Estate, the richest people were in Oil and/or Real Estate

Today they are still among the richest, just not on no. 1 spot or even within top 20

But they will always be there.... If you are not a Gates,Buffet, Bezos or Zuckerberg and have no brilliant plan

than go into real estate...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:
2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I too have a condo in Pattaya that four years ago would have commanded 50k baht a month rental, nowadays I cannot even rent it for 30k baht

I work offshore and it was around 4 years ago the industry stalled. I reckon offshore workers had a huge impact on the Pattaya economy.

The property slow down should filter out the dodgy real estate agents. 

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

so is this panic selling over immigration changes or a bursting bubble?

In some areas its both. In my area, you can rent a studio for the same price or less, compared to 10 years ago. And that is without taking inflation into account.

• Like 1

My view is that properties on secure villages remain unsold because the deteriorating state of the house isn’t worth fixing unless you want to do some serious mods to the place and spend some real dosh. I don’t think that land prices on villages escalate in line with typical land trends. Maybe I’m wrong but it’s just what I’ve observed on our community.

condos, definitely in oversupply mode. I think in that sector prices are dropping.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

LOL - do you know how long it actually takes to find then buy a piece of land, then clear it, find an architect, get planning permission, prep it (flatten/drainage), then actually build it, put the gardens in, design the interior, deal with all the BS at EVERY STEP, etc, etc..

thats where the two times price comes in! - 2 years of work!!!!

i've sold 2 properties this year, both at a tidy profit i might add, and while i agree houses depreciate over time, the trick to selling them is to bring them back to new.

do that and they sell.. for new prices

its a buyer's market so have to have a superior product to the lazy gits who can't even be bothered to jet wash their driveways before putting their houses on the market and wonder why no-one comes to view!

i command you for doing it in 2 years but it's likely 3-4 years in my experience, talking about proper western standard houses not some issan thing for 3 mio THB tho

Especially because of the monsoon season here, where you can literally not start building as your basement will be washed away.

Buy land, including lawyer, due diligence, payments, land office meetings etc: 3 months

Getting a good architect, have him planned everything: 6 months

Building permit without bribing people: 3 months

Finding a PROPER CONSTRUCTION COMPANY willing to build where you want, haggling their overpriced prices down: random amount of months

Then wait for the next dry season to actually start building.

Oh and if you build on new land you often have to add earth there and let it sack for half a year at least

Building a proper sized house with landscaping and all modern ammenities: At least 18 months....

And then you are in year 3 easily...

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Thanks 2

I bought a condo at cosy beach 4 yrs ago. I don't class it as investment, but I believe it will hold it's value, due to great sea views. 

If I ever had to leave Thailand, I'm not reliant on selling or renting it. I can still buy another home elsewhere.. 

I chose to buy in Thailand, rather than rent, because I have zero tolerance for crooked Thai landlords, also, I've spent many years, regularly moving house, due to buying and selling do_up houses. I like to have somewhere permanent... 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

i command you for doing it in 2 years but it's likely 3-4 years in my experience, talking about proper western standard houses not some issan thing for 3 mio THB tho

Especially because of the monsoon season here, where you can literally not start building as your basement will be washed away.

Buy land, including lawyer, due diligence, payments, land office meetings etc: 3 months

Getting a good architect, have him planned everything: 6 months

Building permit without bribing people: 3 months

Finding a PROPER CONSTRUCTION COMPANY willing to build where you want, haggling their overpriced prices down: random amount of months

Then wait for the next dry season to actually start building.

Oh and if you build on new land you often have to add earth there and let it sack for half a year at least

Building a proper sized house with landscaping and all modern ammenities: At least 18 months....

And then you are in year 3 easily...

hahahaha i actually wanted to say 3 years but trying to tell someone who has never built a house that it could take that long.. well may as well say santa is real :cheesy:

they only get quicker to build if you:

already have the land and its settled

already have the plans, architects take forever

already have a builder AND he has time to work for you

but you know.. its only worth land plus build cost mmmkay!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1