Change From Retirement to Marriage Extension.

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I know,and I repeat what I posted earlier. You can of course change type of extension, from based on retirement to marriage. Some immigration offices prefers the retirement extension procedure because it's straight forward and less work for immigration. But it's totally ok to change to marriage despite other posters opinion. 

Unless of course, the local IO is simply refusing to do it, unless the OP leaves the country.... In that situation, as he presented in his post, what are ya gonna do???

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But the poster you're responding to is in a different situation from the OP...

The OP doesn't have a current visa... And he's not trying to get out of a past O-A and into a new O.

He simply has a retirement extension based on a past O visa and is wanting to change it at expiry to a marriage extension.  There's no good reason I'm aware of that the OP's situation should trigger a requirement to leave the country. Even though that's apparently what his local IO is telling him.

Precisely, on the front of a TM7 it just states, reason for extension. 

Just write retirement or married to Thai wife and present the paperwork to achieve that. What's all this "converting nonsense".? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Precisely, on the front of a TM7 it just states, reason for extension. 

Just write retirement or married to Thai wife and present the paperwork to achieve that. What's all this "converting nonsense".? 

You don't seem to understand there's a method to convert a 60 days tourist visa or visa exempt to a 90 days Non-Immigrant O at the local immigration office in Thailand if you have to start all over when you have an expired O-A Visa. Then after 60 days you can apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement or marriage. 

On 11/25/2019 at 1:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

I have heard of offices stating that. But there is no written rule to back it up.

I suspect they do it to discourage people from changing from extensions based upon retirement to marriage.

On another thread regarding my Retirement extension denial, as I understand my guidance, I request an extension to stay based on marriage (60 more days). During that time I’m seeding 400,000 in the bank. At the end of that period I understand I am going to... request 365 day extension to stay based on marriage? 

Im the guy who they refused to accept less than 12 months wire transfers with only 11 months rule in force (Trat). Do I understand the help that you and folks offered me correctly? 

9 hours ago, arjunadawn said:

On another thread regarding my Retirement extension denial, as I understand my guidance, I request an extension to stay based on marriage (60 more days). During that time I’m seeding 400,000 in the bank. At the end of that period I understand I am going to... request 365 day extension to stay based on marriage? 

Im the guy who they refused to accept less than 12 months wire transfers with only 11 months rule in force (Trat). Do I understand the help that you and folks offered me correctly? 

Correct - be sure wife is with you.

18 hours ago, elviajero said:

Another that knows the rules better than the people doing the job.

If those doing the job knew the rules this forum would be a lot shorter. 

You have already been told there is no such rule I believe. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If those doing the job knew the rules this forum would be a lot shorter. 

You have already been told there is no such rule I believe. 

I’ve been “told” lots of things over the years, but I will stick to what I know from personal experience and knowledge. 

Hi, I realize I am not answering the OP's original question.

But many TVF members on an extension of stay based on an OA - retirement are - and quite rightly - considering escape-routes for  the new and ridiculous thai-approved health-insurance requirement.

When you are on such an OA - retirement Visa AND married, there are several options to do so:

1. When your permission of stay based on the present OA - retirement extension is due, simply apply at your local IO for a extension of stay of your OA but now based on MARRIAGE.  Obviously you would need to bring the relevant documents (e.g. marriage certificate) required to do so.  This is of course the easiest route for applicants.

Note: Local IO might not like the additional paperwork involved (or local IO rules might prohibit it), and would rather you go for option 2.

2. When your permission of stay based on the present OA - retirement extension has almost expired, simply exit Thailand.  There are two options then:

2a. Re-enter Thailand Visa-exempt (or on a Tourist Visa), and then apply for an O Visa based on marriage at your local IO (or at CW if they don't do it there).  At the end of the 90-days from that O Visa based on marriage, apply at your local IO for an extension of stay based on that O - marriage Visa.

2b. Apply for an O Visa based on marriage at the thai embassy/consulate of either your home-country or the neighboring country you went to.  Then re-enter Thailand and at the end of the 90-days from that O Visa based on marriage, apply at your local IO for an extension of stay based on that O - marriage Visa.

> I stand corrected if some of the above is incomplete/incorrect.

• Like 1

i have my extension of stay retirement based on OA from 2012 until the 26 march 2020 i will leave Thailand the 23 march to Laos and come back the 28 with a fresh visa Non O based on marriage,it is what my IO says to me to do to kill the OA and begin with 90 days extension and then to one year retirement of marriage i will choice marriage for no surprises again in the future.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

i have my extension of stay retirement based on OA from 2012 until the 26 march 2020 i will leave Thailand the 23 march to Laos and come back the 28 with a fresh visa Non O based on marriage,it is what my IO says to me to do to kill the OA and begin with 90 days extension and then to one year retirement of marriage i will choice marriage for no surprises again in the future.

So your IO suggest route 2b.

Since you have to prepare all the paperwork anyway, I would still try and apply for option 1 mid March 2020.

If rejected, you can still go for option 2 end of March, i.e. exiting Thailand. 

The reason you have to exit Thailand in option 2 is indeed to 'kill' your OA based permission to stay, so that you can apply for a new Visa.  But that does not necessarily have to be done abroad, you can also return to Thailand visa exempt (or on a Tourist Visa) and apply for your Non Imm O in Thailand.  If that is more convenient for you than applying in Laos, it would not hurt to check with your IO if you can go that route too.