Five immigration officers swoop! German on five day overstay arrested outside Pattaya hotel

webfact

"When will  that be says the bells of Stepney"

Any Westerner who doesn't know where I am quoting from is a village idiot-of which there were plenty in Thailand...,

The Bells..to enliven your miserable cultureless day

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

We all know it's 500 Baht a day which I have paid in the past as have many others but I really think this is over the top for only 5 days I think they should have a grace period of 30 days then arrest him,

The German will be telling all his friends this is worse than the Gestapo 

He could ask his grandad for confirmation.????

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

So, you are 45 yo, book a holiday in Thailand, have your round trip ticket, get you Visa on arrival.  How do you overstay?  Do airlines let you book a return ticket for longer that your Visa allows as a tourist? 

@Skallywag Nope, maybe he did not get a round trip ticket. He wanted to travel to Malaysia later on, but had no ticket yet. I have entered Thailand on visa exemptions and never had a return ticket. Let´s assume for some strange reason he liked in Pattaya a lot and he has read that overstaying costs him 500THB a day and he figures "ok, that is quite affordable. I will stay a bit longer and just pay for the overstay."  A few years ago an immigration officer explained to me that it is often easier to just pay the fine and it would not affect future possible stays in the Kingdom.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

sorry, this German guy brake the visa rule is not important for thailand. If I not read TVF I will not know about it, sure. Nobody talk about it. He brake the rule, police catch, same if he not where the helmet motorcycle.

@Yinn I think nobody here on this forum wants to defend overstaying. All reasonable criticism here goes towards the harshness of the response of the authorities. Same as if you were not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle and five police officers pass by your house to arrest you and put you to jail.

27 minutes ago, Cereal said:

What's the issue? Dude overstayed, he's in the country illegally and clearly healthy and able. Does it matter how illegal he is? 

@Cereal Of course, it matters.  The reaction of the authorities should always be appropriate and weigh in carefully the severity of the infraction. Following your logic, police could lock up everyone who is not wearing a helmet and then say "does it matter how illegal he is?"

• Like 2