Five immigration officers swoop! German on five day overstay arrested outside Pattaya hotel

webfact

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

You're missing the point, which is the heavy handedness of the Thai IO for a minor offence. That's the news. Be worried.

I didn’t miss anything.

thats what the laughing emoji is for.

laughing at the over the top reaction 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

They were sent into action by the chief of Chonburi immigration Pol Col Samphan Leuangsajjakun who in turn was acting under orders from national immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong "Big Oud" Chingduang, said Naew Na. 

To arrest and throw in jail a German guy on FIVE days overstay??? LUNACY!!!! :w00t:

Something's going on with Pattaya/Chonburi Immigration lately... It would seem, from reading the news, they've had a whole series of piddly nothing arrests lately of foreigners for minor/small offenses compared to all the really serious, major X@#$%$ that goes on around here daily...

Perhaps a new local commander trying to keep or earn his higher place in the pecking order...

53 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yeah it seems thai elite also is not allowed to give you a visa anymore with even a single overstay...

How is this even thailand anymore if you can't buy yourself free with money ????

I find this interesting. I had an overstay about 15 years ago. What is the statute 9f limitations on that? 

1 hour ago, champers said:

5 days seems trivial and I guess plenty of people do overstays of this length and just pay the fine on the way out. This arrest sends a message and it isn't pleasant.

But it is not so trivial. The guy was knowingly on overstay in contravention of the law and his permission to stay which is clearly stamped in his passport.

He was taking a chance thinking he could get away with the overstay and buy his way out by paying a basic fine at the airport.

1 hour ago, champers said:

5 days seems trivial and I guess plenty of people do overstays of this length and just pay the fine on the way out. This arrest sends a message and it isn't pleasant.

The only message this arrest sends is, don't overstay your visa, or time permitted to stay.

I don't get the "it isn't pleasant" part ?

7 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

The only message this arrest sends is, don't overstay your visa, or time permitted to stay.

I don't get the "it isn't pleasant" part ?

Knowing that you could rot in thai jail for every minor offense which is known worlwide as one of the most <deleted> up places is a serious downturn for most people.

it's exactly what thailand was not known for, it was known as no faks given society with an anarcho touch, and that's what people liked and why most of us came here.

Now it's worse than the nanny states we tried to escape...

But bunch of midgets in uniform don't get it that this <deleted> damages more in terms of reputations...

8 minutes ago, userabcd said:

But it is not so trivial. The guy was knowingly on overstay in contravention of the law and his permission to stay which is clearly stamped in his passport.

He was taking a chance thinking he could get away with the overstay and buy his way out by paying a basic fine at the airport.

How do you know 'the guy was knowingly on overstay'? I can't anything that supports that.

I'm not defending overstayers, but I can imagine for five days, there's a chance he just forgot his departure date if he was on holiday having a good time.

That's not very responsible I know, but some might possibly forget by a couple of days or so.

1 minute ago, Chazar said:

should  have  ripped  him limb from limb then nailed  him to  a cross, the head on a  spike on  the boundary

I agree..it is the only appropriate punisment.

As he karks it he can gasp..

"i am Spartacus on a five day overstay!"

(would you believe that I once could have put that in Latin?)

The fact that a a nation's newspaper could put this on a front page is beyond fathomable..

So, you are 45 yo, book a holiday in Thailand, have your round trip ticket, get you Visa on arrival.  How do you overstay?  Do airlines let you book a return ticket for longer that your Visa allows as a tourist? 

3 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

So, you are 45 yo, book a holiday in Thailand, have your round trip ticket, get you Visa on arrival.  How do you overstay?  Do airlines let you book a return ticket for longer that your Visa allows as a tourist? 

Some get a 30 day extension (or 60 day for Thai family reasons) but it doesn't say how long he had been here or what his visa status was.

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

What?

In English please if you will...

Let's face it-this entire forum is overrun by Thai's recruited from The Nation all espousing the usual Thai silliness..

I am loath,by even a single Thai Baht,to expose their ridiculous Thai idiocy.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

I think the takeaway is that Immigration are clearly changing their focus from passive (wait until you turn up somewhere) to active (making the effort to come and find you).

pity they don't enforce traffic laws with the same enthusiasm - caught in the act instead of "after the fact"  ……………. with body bags

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Justget the visa. If have a visa no problem. 38,999,500 foreign tourist not have the problem.

One can overstay as easily on a Visa as a Visa Exempt Entry. Sometimes it is more easily done by mistaking the Visa Expiry date and the 'Permit to Stay Until' date. A mistake like that should not get one arrested and treated like a criminal and likely extorted. Five days overstay, I would love to hear what prompted them to get off their behinds so sharply.

Archived