Thailand’s PM insists military conscription is still needed

webfact

13 hours ago, BobbyL said:

No surprise there. This man wouldn't be anywhere near his status should Thailand finally begin to realise that a military have no right to be involved in politics in the 21st century. He would just be another no mark bootlicker in an army that has never battled in a war in recent history. 

Ere mate 'ang on. They have all got medals and parachute wings.

11 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Not sure why so many posters here are getting bent out of shape by the utterings of the Thai PM, on subject that only matters to Thais and in which, unless they have kids here, they have no input.  Its a matter for Thailand  folks so chill and go back to worrying about things that do matter to expats, like visa and extension issues.   

If you don't want to listen to opinion or even have on, please POQ

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

So seeing that you are so well informed, can you please tell us how many Generals etc., that Thailand has got.  Maybe even the USA ?

I'm sure that Billd766 can answer for himself. That said he was a crab (Royal Air Force) so big numbers may be a problem.

The Thai Army has some 1750 Generals, with some 245,000 soldiers.

The US Army has some 900 Generals, with some 1,281,000 soldiers.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Of course it is.. it's the only way to stay in complete control.

He now has monopoly in the government, and has control of the army.

Dictator.

I recently read somewhere that there is another military coup gently simmering in the back ground. Perhaps this is why he needs more troops 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I think for some people the military puts them back on track.

such as my twin brother he was always in some kind of trouble.

job opportunities tapped out, joined the military and made it 

a career.imageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857fimageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857fimageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857fimageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857fimageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857fimageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857fimageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857f

694D8706-F5AD-4800-92C6-871E068D54E3.jpeg

5E03E311-0182-4741-9EEA-0C1545881D6C.jpeg

FBCA4E2E-2947-46AA-95DC-2A0BDE8EEEBC.jpeg

What countries now have volunteer armies.

After reading in the BP years ago that if a Thai enlists they can be honorably discharged in 6 months I encouraged my stepson to enlist. He did and sure enough he was out in 6 months instead of the 2 year conscription.  He actually enjoyed himself and was happy he enlisted. 

7 hours ago, Srikcir said:

John Draper, director of the Social Survey Centre at Khon Kaen University, and a researcher on Thailand’s military: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/red-black-experiencing-thailand-military-drafting-190417015605789.html

• “Thailand's military draft should be abolished as it supports a feudal, bloated military system with some of the highest general-to-soldier ratios in the world.”
  • The government should instead develop the conscription lottery into a national service programme that would engage in rural development, such as building and renovating school buildings in remote areas and operating programmes that could ultimately help poorer people and the economy.

Many Issaan roads come to mind.

33 minutes ago, JAG said:

I'm sure that Billd766 can answer for himself. That said he was a crab (Royal Air Force) so big numbers may be a problem.

<deleted> 'WOW"  that tells a lot does'nt it.

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

So seeing that you are so well informed, can you please tell us how many Generals etc., that Thailand has got.  Maybe even the USA ?

Have you ever considered doing a Google search?

It is quite easy.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Thailand-have-roughly-twice-as-many-generals-and-admirals-as-the-USA-1750-vs-950

I would think generals in the US have the military training to hold rank and came up through the forces. The ranks in Thailand are based mostly on social issues, connections and family history. I know many who frankly would rise to the occasion but having said that, lack the intense training to make them a force to be reckoned with. You are also dealing with a country under a constitutional monarchy where military protect the royals and as in the US where the president is the Commander in Chief (sic) in Thailand, the King is recognised more as having power of veto and endorsement rather than commanding military actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_duty_United_States_four-star_officers

"List of United States four-star officers" redirects here. For a complete historical list of U.S. four-star officers by service, see Army generals, Marine Corps generals, Navy admirals, Air Force generals, Coast Guard admirals, or Public Health Service admirals.
There are currently 42 active-duty four-star officers in the uniformed services of the United States: 14 in the Army, 3 in the Marine Corps, 9 in the Navy, 13 in the Air Force, 2 in the Coast Guard, and 1 in the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. Of the seven federal uniformed services, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps is the only service that does not have an established four-star position.

There is more information on Google which I am not allowed to post as it was published by the "other" newspaper but feel free to check for yourself.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Thank you so much for highlighting my problem with big numbers. I can count up to 20 using all my fingers, thumbs and toes. Up to 40 if I include my wife but it is awkward as she is ticklish and won't stay still long enough.

If I include my son as well I tend to lose count.

Sorry.

10 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I recently read somewhere that there is another military coup gently simmering in the back ground. Perhaps this is why he needs more troops 

Your observation is a little contradictory.. why would he want more troops if a coup was simmering to go against him?

If he lost control of the army which could challenge him then he would be doing everything to lessen their power!

12 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

If you don't want to listen to opinion or even have on, please POQ

It's a 'forum' its what they are for, expressing one's option.  I was expressing that this subject is, in my opinion,  not one that should worry or interest the vast majority of expats.  It's as valid a statement as any other made on a public form, including your rather negative response, which was not an opinion, just a dig at someones's elses. 

On 11/29/2019 at 1:47 PM, JAG said:

Yes it would. West Germany had something along those lines in the 1980s I believe, young men with a genuine deep held conscientious objection to military service could serve in a variety of other areas. An excellent idea.

The DDR abolished conscription in its first 13 years postwar. When West Germany instituted a military draft in 1955, the DDR followed suit in 1962. East Germany was the first Communist country of the era to recognise CO, followed by Hungary and Poland, replaced by alternative civilian service.

The first step for Thailand is to recognise CO.

On 11/29/2019 at 6:40 AM, lamyai3 said:

Thailand's rapidly aging population, along with the ever increasing number of generals with drooling older relatives mean that the need for an increase in conscription has never been more pressing. 

Or having your face smacked by the officers wife as happened many times to 3 young nashos held captive at a big condo in the city. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

More than half the world's countries have military conscription, including the US, though in some, no one is called to active duty.

27 countries have abolished their militaries or were founded without one.

The US has not conscripted anyone since the early 70s they do have a registration which I didn't have to do because I turned 18 during the gap

I would have thought young men wold be happy to serve for King and country.  From what I read here apparently not!   Obviously the youth of today need much more nationalistic fever which should be given when they are in school.  Or better still, the Prayut Youth could be organised to fill in their weekend with meaningful and patriotic learning.  Get rid of those I phones and tablets and give them books of patriotism written by the dear leader himself.  ????