E Visa Application From UK (What a nightmare)

To try and cut what is starting to be a long story, into a short one.

When I first heard about E Visa for Thailand I thought it was a great idea, after all, almost everything is done online now so why not.

Having registered with the E Visa site (easy to do) I then started the visa application process. The system allows you to save a part application, come back to it later, edit it and set up a completely new visa application. Saves the applications in a list and you can continue that application whenever, well in theory at least.

My problems started when I wanted to start a new application, the site decided that it would only give me one option (tourist visa)  in the drop down menu for visa type. No matter what I did or from which computer, same problem. Emailed them, got some nonsense reply several days later. Decided to set up a new E Visa account and bingo, drop down menu gave me all visa types to choose from.

That should be the end of the story, sadly not, the whole E Visa site seems to be full of glitches. It now wont allow me to  upload my documents for the 0-A visa I've applied for (it lets me select the relevant document from my folders but wont upload it). Tried to start a new application but get an error message and tells me to try again, tried again about ten times and still wont have it.

The site wont save changes I've made when in edit mode etc etc.

I've done another email on the contact page but not optimistic about the outcome.

The only contact appears to be in BKK. Does anyone know of a UK help line?

Have my flight booked for January and now have visions of having to get a 30 day visa on arrival and trying to extend.

I'm over 50, have all the relevant documents, have the health insurance in place that's now required for the O-A (did that via AXA in Pattaya, very easy, if anyone is interested).

If anyone has experienced the same problems and resolved them then I'd be very interested to hear about it, thanks.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, getithere328 said:

My problems started when I wanted to start a new application, the site decided that it would only give me one option (tourist visa)  in the drop down menu for visa type. No matter what I did or from which computer, same problem.

It picks up on one of your saved applications where the previous initial entries force it down the Tourist Visa path.  Delete the previous ones and start from scratch.  When you delete one, refresh the page as it clears all previous ones from the table even though only one is being deleted.  Refreshing it shows the rest of them up again.

Also if you've been trying for a while, make sure the date range for previous partially completed applications is sufficient to show (and delete) them all.

46 minutes ago, getithere328 said:

It now wont allow me to  upload my documents for the 0-A visa I've applied for (it lets me select the relevant document from my folders but wont upload it).

Check each file size as there's a max limit it won't let you exceed.

32 minutes ago, treetops said:

It picks up on one of your saved applications where the previous initial entries force it down the Tourist Visa path.  Delete the previous ones and start from scratch.  When you delete one, refresh the page as it clears all previous ones from the table even though only one is being deleted.  Refreshing it shows the rest of them up again.

Also if you've been trying for a while, make sure the date range for previous partially completed applications is sufficient to show (and delete) them all.

Check each file size as there's a max limit it won't let you exceed.

Thanks, have already done both of those, deleted old applications, refreshed, not deleted, tried again, logged out logged in, still not deleted. All files uploaded within the size criteria specified. Still pulling my hair out.

1 minute ago, uncleeagle said:

Why buy the insurance to get the OA when you can get the O without insurance? Didnt you just spend 30-50k for nothing, especially lf you cant even get the actual visa you wanted? 

The O-A seems to fit my needs, I would have insurance even it wasn't a requirement. I wouldn't stay in a country for any amount of time without something in place for medical care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, getithere328 said:

Thanks, have already done both of those, deleted old applications, refreshed, not deleted, tried again, logged out logged in, still not deleted. All files uploaded within the size criteria specified. Still pulling my hair out.

All I can tell you is that they have a PC at the London Embassy where they will assist you. I think there is also a dedicated counter (7) for people who had issues with their awful, misnamed eVisa process. 

Noticed a hapless Brit who arrived in just that situation. He needed to travel and he had probably pulled his hair out trying to get it to work. He was directed to counter no. 7.

For yourself, they have a fair few numbers for the visa section; 0207 589 2944, 0207 225 5500 ext 5505, 5526 / 0207 225 5507 / 0207 225 5524

Call between 9am and 12 midday.

3 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

we all get the need for some kind of insurance but youve just paid 30-50k for a policy that is grossly over priced and provides very poor insurance. for a tenth of the cost outside their forced scheme you would have better coverage by far.

to make it simpler for you to understand, youve just done the equivalent of paying 1000 baht for a coffee at starbucks when the normal price in starbucks for the same coffee wouldbe 100 baht.

To make it simple for you, I can afford it but thanks for the advise ha ha ha

3 hours ago, getithere328 said:

To make it simple for you, I can afford it but thanks for the advise ha ha ha

not only have you paid 10 times the going rate for a not fit for purpose insurance policy (so now you need to buy a real policy) but the clock on that policy is now ticking and you will now not get a full period on your non OA visa as once that visa is finally issued, if it ever is, the extension will only be up to the expiration of the insurance policy. 

Edited by uncleeagle
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, uncleeagle said:

not only have you paid 10 times the going rate for a not fit for purpose insurance policy (so now you need to buy a real policy) but the clock on that policy is now ticking and you will now not get a full period on your non OA visa as once that visa is finally issued, if it ever is, the extension will only be up to the expiration of the insurance policy. 

Not a problem and did you read the question? Was I looking for insurance advise? If your an expert on the E Visa as well then that would be useful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

All I can tell you is that they have a PC at the London Embassy where they will assist you. I think there is also a dedicated counter (7) for people who had issues with their awful, misnamed eVisa process. 

Noticed a hapless Brit who arrived in just that situation. He needed to travel and he had probably pulled his hair out trying to get it to work. He was directed to counter no. 7.

For yourself, they have a fair few numbers for the visa section; 0207 589 2944, 0207 225 5500 ext 5505, 5526 / 0207 225 5507 / 0207 225 5524

Call between 9am and 12 midday.

I was advised by Cardiff consulate not to call London until after 2.30pm or 3.30pm, I forget which now.

9 hours ago, getithere328 said:

Yup - I had the same experience and did all stuff Getithere328 said and while some issues did get solved like the insistence of showing one type of visa and refusing to accept large file uploads - After deleting cookies and also deleting all previous applications stored, together with using new browsers and following the tech instructions help section for Java setting etc I reverted to starting new application(s), but I still struggled to complete the application. Also if filling it in the form was this much of a problem then I could not be entirely confident that the form would have actually been sent successfully at the end of the process. - The site is very difficult to both navigate and complete.

Edited by spambot

9 hours ago, getithere328 said:

The O-A seems to fit my needs, I would have insurance even it wasn't a requirement. I wouldn't stay in a country for any amount of time without something in place for medical care.

Can I just ask, there is nothing in the policy T&Cs that state you have to be in Thailand for a a time before the policy is effective (e.g. 180 Days / 6 months, in the year)? Though of course you may not be new there.

https://www.e-visa-thailand.com/application Has anybody used this e-visa website .

In theory it looks much easier to obtain. I also had the same problem as the OP and so entered on a visa exempt this time but had I seen this earlier I would have tried to find out if this is a legitimate site. Maybe even if it costs a little more it certainly looks a better online process.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If it's not a silly question, why do you want to come to Thailand at all? There are countless other places that don't put you through this nonsense.

its not a silly question at all. i think its because he wants to go on holiday for a week in pattaya and wants to make sure he has the correct visa and health insurance.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, getithere328 said:

Took me nearly 4 hours all in to master the system , collate all my documents and then compress them to get in under the file limit. Oh and maybe try a different browser - I think I started with Chrome and changed to Firefox but that might just be a coincidence as I was going through a whole lot of grief during the process. At the Embassy were a procession of old geezers flummoxed by the new system and a very patient guy trying to explain what they needed to do. One asked can I get an agent to do this -to which he replied yes. Worst site I've ever used but I think I have mastered it now. Yet another nail in Thailand's ever growing coffin. #ripthailand

hi does anyone know what type of doc you have to upload on no7?

Confirmation of legal residence in a country in which you are applying for the visa. (In case that you are not a national of the country in which you are applying for the visa.)

I was born in uk and applying for single tourist visa in london.

I was thinking about birth cert, but wanted to check first.

Many thanks

22 minutes ago, mickeymiles said:

Confirmation of legal residence in a country in which you are applying for the visa. (In case that you are not a national of the country in which you are applying for the visa.)

Many thanks

Not needed as you are British I assume and applying for a visa in the UK. 

51 minutes ago, mickeymiles said:

Many thanks

Most UK residents applying online for RTC London just use the passport details page again for this as that states your nationality/birth place .

I don't think the system smart enough allow no doc be attached here so you got attach something ,

Is the worst online system I seen to date .
I use pick uo a tourist when I passing through uk for a easy no extension hassle (tm30 hassle) 60 day stamped entry leisure break in thailand .

I simply don't bother any more, too much ballache and found easier fun places for 2 or 3 month leisure breaks .

Edited by BuckBee

20 hours ago, getithere328 said:

Did you try extending the date range?  I had a part application in there from months back when I'd first registered and played about with the system that didn't show until I'd done this.  Cleared it and could start again afresh.

23 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

Why buy the insurance to get the OA when you can get the O without insurance? Didnt you just spend 30-50k for nothing, especially lf you cant even get the actual visa you wanted? 

what other visa would give the op a full year on entry, giving 2 years in Thailand, with only one border run just prior to the actual visa expiry date, and no money deposited in a Thai bank.??

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nic2 said:

https://www.e-visa-thailand.com/application Has anybody used this e-visa website .

In theory it looks much easier to obtain. I also had the same problem as the OP and so entered on a visa exempt this time but had I seen this earlier I would have tried to find out if this is a legitimate site. Maybe even if it costs a little more it certainly looks a better online process.

seem dodgy to me, not much info on the web site and needs mothers details - for what? maybe want to get into some of the applicants accounts. web address looks like the offical evisathailnd site with 2 x - inserted, if (and i think its a big if) you get a visa it will only be a VOA, which are free at the moments and only for a few countries citizens, no other visa's are issued online.

On 11/30/2019 at 9:39 AM, The Maltese Falcon said:

I tried to do the evisa when i uploaded my photo i was told that my left eye is closed then i uploaded the photo again this time i was told that my right eye is closed i said whats going on, so i uploaded the same photo again i was told that my both eyes are closed. what kind of evisa is this. I gave up

Things like that are not just a Thai evisa site quirk.  Another "photo checking" service told me my mouth was open when it wasn't.  If you want to try again, play about with the brightness and/or contrast on your photo and you might clear this issue.