Corrosion on motorhelmet

Thian

Have a look at my helmet, it is 15 months old now and i didn't use it for last 5 months because i was abroad.

The lock is rotting from sweat/high humidity/air pollution. This helmet costs 40.000+ baht in Thailand.

How are your helmets doing in Thai climate? Would you accept this german quality helmet which is especially designed for hot weather?

Schuberth-rust.jpg

Schuberth-rust2.jpg

I would contact the manufacturer and ask them about it.

If it is made in Germany and cost 40,000B then there is a reasonable chance that they will send you a replacement strap.

Apart from that: Are you living/using this near the sea? maybe salt water is the problem.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would contact the manufacturer and ask them about it.

If it is made in Germany and cost 40,000B then there is a reasonable chance that they will send you a replacement strap.

Apart from that: Are you living/using this near the sea? maybe salt water is the problem.

I use it in Bangkok only...and the helpdesk blames me for it, the high humidity caused this and that's my fault they wrote...

I think it's from sweat, this helmet is designed for hot weather because it has extra large ventilation openings so i thought it would be perfect for Bangkok.

If it needs a new chin strap i want it to be mounted by a german craftsman...i bought this helmet because it's made in Germany and one of the best quality brands. I even bought it in Europe to make sure i wouldn't get an asian model which can be for different shape head...but it hurts like crazy anyway, i had to cut 8mm of foam out of the innershell or have huge headaches every time i use it.

Also the bluetooth loudspeakers have issues, one side is malfunctioning often. What a quality product! 

THE MICRO LOCK RATCHET STRAP:
PRECISE AND SAFE

Every time you put on the helmet, the ratchet lock makes it easy to fit the chinstrap.

1 minute ago, papa al said:

Same same as B1200 REAL helmet.

Which brand of helmets do you guys use? Are they also rusty at the lock or anywhere else? 

I don't mean a cheap Index helmet but a high quality brand with ECE certifications.

13 minutes ago, papa al said:

That will buff out.

High quality, low quality;

steel is steel and will rust under sweaty, salty, hot, humid conditions.

Clean & wax.

It will also leak into my clothes if it gets wet....i don't need no brown rust spots in my shirts.

There's also stainless steel which can stand even salty water.....strange that the Germans don't use that.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Thian said:

I use it in Bangkok only...and the helpdesk blames me for it, the high humidity caused this and that's my fault they wrote...

I think it's from sweat, this helmet is designed for hot weather because it has extra large ventilation openings so i thought it would be perfect for Bangkok.

If it needs a new chin strap i want it to be mounted by a german craftsman...i bought this helmet because it's made in Germany and one of the best quality brands. I even bought it in Europe to make sure i wouldn't get an asian model which can be for different shape head...but it hurts like crazy anyway, i had to cut 8mm of foam out of the innershell or have huge headaches every time i use it.

Also the bluetooth loudspeakers have issues, one side is malfunctioning often. What a quality product! 

THE MICRO LOCK RATCHET STRAP:
PRECISE AND SAFE

Every time you put on the helmet, the ratchet lock makes it easy to fit the chinstrap.

I would still try to contact the German manufacturer in Germany.

Maybe they will surprise you with their service.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would still try to contact the German manufacturer in Germany.

Maybe they will surprise you with their service.

That's what i did! They blame the humidity in Bangkok. And for the rest they don't care...

So i wrote them that i won't accept this and ask my insurance/Dutch police if this is allowed to drive around with, a rotting lock...Then they sent me the address of a company in holland to where i should complain...i emailed them as well and they said this is not acceptable in Holland...But if i want them to fix it the helmet has to come to holland first.....and i don't have any plans to go there soon.

But what annoys me the most is that the helpdesk acts like this is my fault...i was so dumb to use it in a humid climate....well Singapore for example is much more humid than Bangkok.

So now i wonder how a Shoei helmet will last in high humidity because i might buy one of those soon. I'm sick and tired of this helmet and their service.

• Like 1

Contact the Manufacturer (with photo's and with receipt of purchase if you still have it).

[Edit - I just read that you did contact the Manufacturer and received a poor response]

What is the brand of the Helmet? (I ask because I was looking at Schuberths the other day and I'll avoid them if that's their level of customer service)

I used a Shoei - 2 years, no issues with any corrosion etc (its kept inside at all times when not riding).

Where do you keep your helmets? 

If outside I can see how this corrosion may be accelerated by the humidity.

If inside this is definitely an issue with quality. 

Edited by richard_smith237

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Contact the Manufacturer (with photo's and with receipt of purchase if you still have it).

[Edit - I just read that you did contact the Manufacturer and received a poor response]

What is the brand of the Helmet? (I ask because I was looking at Schuberths the other day and I'll avoid them if that's their level of customer service)

I used a Shoei - 2 years, no issues with any corrosion etc (its kept inside at all times when not riding).

Where do you keep your helmets? 

If outside I can see how this corrosion may be accelerated by the humidity.

If inside this is definitely an issue with quality. 

This is a Schuberth M1 helmet. Bought from amazon.de while i was in Holland.

I keep it in the livingroom which is airconditioned when we are home. 

My head is 61.5 cm so i bought the XXL which should fit untill 63 cm....it hurt me like crazy but Schuberth didn't care...so i cut 8mm from the foam out, now it doesn't hurt anymore but looks ugly...The Bluetooth speakers malfunction since i had it and now also the lock is rotting.

They recommend you to fit the helmet and wear it for 20 minutes before you buy it....well i didn't do that because my previous helmet was a Yamaha for 1200 baht, size XL and that fit me...So i bought the Schuberth XXL and it fit perfect but after 10-15 minutes the headaches started.

Also the schuberth doesn't fit under the buddysit of my scooter (the old yamaha helmet fit perfect) , so i have to carry this rotting helmet with white foam inside into the malls all the time....what a feast!

I wouldn't recommend this helmet to anybody and just sent those pictures to Panda Rider so they know what they are selling.

• Like 1

None of my cheap or more expensive helmets have rusted so far. I live in Phuket so the sea is fairly near. But they have failed in other ways, disintegrating slowly but surely. Your helmet strap seems to be made from pretty <deleted>ty metals with no corosion resistance whatsoever.

As a German, I have never looked for german consumer products because of their quality. Especially in an age where everything is made in [LowCostCountry] by some sub-contractor of a sub-contractor.

Maybe we should all collaborate on a product database which shows what products can withstand the local environment and which ones can't?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

None of my cheap or more expensive helmets have rusted so far. I live in Phuket so the sea is fairly near. But they have failed in other ways, disintegrating slowly but surely. Your helmet strap seems to be made from pretty <deleted>ty metals with no corosion resistance whatsoever.

As a German, I have never looked for german consumer products because of their quality. Especially in an age where everything is made in [LowCostCountry] by some sub-contractor of a sub-contractor.

Maybe we should all collaborate on a product database which shows what products can withstand the local environment and which ones can't?

Yes Phuket has salty air so a Schuberth helmet there would rust fast i can imagine. 

Foam or rubber or glue disintegrates fast in the thai climate but i didn't notice that on any of my helmets...i have had 5-6 helmets in Thailand so far but it's very hard to find one in my size that's why i brought this one from Europe.

But you as a german would you think this is normal to happen? That amazes me the most about this issue that the schuberth helpdesk (even the manager of it emailed me yesterday) think this is normal in high humidity...the humidity in Holland is 99% now at night, in Bangkok it is 60% in daytime. So they even don't know what they are saying but they only blame me...they asked me for a copy of the receipt which i sent, then they need the serial number from the helmet which i sent....now they want another number from my helmet....i get tired of that bs. That's not customer service so i started asking other people about it.

Schuberth also makes safety helmets for firemen and so, they also work with foam and chemicals so their helmets should be able to stand that. Well i'm done with german quality from now on....i will only buy made in Japan....nothing else.

Speaking of japanese, i have a Zojirushi waterbottle here with a nice carry on bag but that bag is also totally disintegrated, i tried to pick it up and the strap fell in many pieces. It is about 5 years old now.

30 minutes ago, Thian said:

This is a Schuberth M1 helmet. Bought from amazon.de while i was in Holland.

I keep it in the livingroom which is airconditioned when we are home. 

My head is 61.5 cm so i bought the XXL which should fit untill 63 cm....it hurt me like crazy but Schuberth didn't care...so i cut 8mm from the foam out, now it doesn't hurt anymore but looks ugly...The Bluetooth speakers malfunction since i had it and now also the lock is rotting.

They recommend you to fit the helmet and wear it for 20 minutes before you buy it....well i didn't do that because my previous helmet was a Yamaha for 1200 baht, size XL and that fit me...So i bought the Schuberth XXL and it fit perfect but after 10-15 minutes the headaches started.

Also the schuberth doesn't fit under the buddysit of my scooter (the old yamaha helmet fit perfect) , so i have to carry this rotting helmet with white foam inside into the malls all the time....what a feast!

I wouldn't recommend this helmet to anybody and just sent those pictures to Panda Rider so they know what they are selling.

So its a 15,000 baht helmet (which Panda Rider is now selling for 10,500 baht BTW).

Schubert are designed so that you can remove layers of the foam padding in the cheek area (under the outer black layer of felt) so it shouldn't look like a mess. 

The XXL and XL helmets come with a 'larger' shell size - this is why Schuberth have such a good reputation for safe helmets as they don't compromise on the thickness to fit larger heads - I can see how the XXL wouldn't fit under your scooter seat (the shell looked quite large).

It is also surprising that a Helmet of Schuberth reputation had the buckles rusting.

I am wondering if, through no fault of your own you have purchased a 'fake helmet' online - I suspect Schuberth too are wondering this which is why they are asking for all the detailed information such is serial numbers etc.

Additionally, perhaps this is why Schuberth want to see the actual helmet in Holland first before responding - there are probably a lot of fakes of many different models of helmet there. For this reason I wouldn't want to purchase an important piece of safety equipment unless from a seller recommended by the manufacturer. 

Additionally, many sellers will refuse to ship helmets and insist on direct sales. 

Regardless of all that, Schuberth's response is highly unprofessional - they should at least be analysing the photo's you have sent them.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So its a 15,000 baht helmet (which Panda Rider is now selling for 10,500 baht BTW).

Schubert are designed so that you can remove layers of the foam padding in the cheek area (under the outer black layer of felt) so it shouldn't look like a mess. 

The XXL and XL helmets come with a 'larger' shell size - this is why Schuberth have such a good reputation for safe helmets as they don't compromise on the thickness to fit larger heads - I can see how the XXL wouldn't fit under your scooter seat (the shell looked quite large).

It is also surprising that a Helmet of Schuberth reputation had the buckles rusting.

I am wondering if, through no fault of your own you have purchased a 'fake helmet' online - I suspect Schuberth too are wondering this which is why they are asking for all the detailed information such is serial numbers etc.

Additionally, perhaps this is why Schuberth want to see the actual helmet in Holland first before responding - there are probably a lot of fakes of many different models of helmet there. For this reason I wouldn't want to purchase an important piece of safety equipment unless from a seller recommended by the manufacturer. 

Additionally, many sellers will refuse to ship helmets and insist on direct sales. 

Regardless of all that, Schuberth's response is highly unprofessional - they should at least be analysing the photo's you have sent them.

You can't change anything on my helmet...what i understood of it is that the XL and XXL have the same outershell but the XXL has very thin padding (which hurt)...for the XL model they use thick padding...and i didn't see anything i could take out to make it fit better so i shaved ALL my hair off and even that didn't help.

I bought it in august 2018 after checking the website of panda rider...i bought the one with the bluetooth Cardo unit and by then the price was 35.000+ on their website....the price you mentioned sure isn't with the cardo unit but yes they give 30% discount now, maybe they also noticed their helmets to be rotting?

Now they want me to show a number on the chin strap...iirc i cut that off because it was annoying me...i also do that to new clothes, i had large label annoying me when my skin is already annoyed from the high temperatures in Thailand. But i'm not sure if i did that, i forgot....but for sure i wouldn't want to have a large white label on my chin strap, who likes to have that?

And if my helmet is fake? I don't know....it came in a real box and everything looks real to me...bought from amazon.de as i wrote before..the dealer is RAD.eu.....(rad means wheel in german language).

Even if it was fake and i was Schuberth i would be very happy if a customer reported me that issue so we could stop them selling fakes....i would never blame the customer or high humidity for it. And above all i would never tell my customer that this is normal to happen on a top class helmet. How can they not care for my safety?? That's why i bought their product. The rotting will go faster now because the paint and zinc-oxide has gone and one day the lock will be broken causing my insurance to not pay for the damage in case of a serious accident.

• Like 1

Off topic, but funny I hope.

Man goes the doctors with a sample saying there is blood in my urine.

Doctor asks 'When did you last have sex'?

Man replies 'Six months ago''

Doctor says Ít's not blood, it's rust'!   Boo Boom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

How are your helmets doing in Thai climate?

Would you accept this german quality helmet which is especially designed for hot weather?

My helmet has been fine bought it from Honda APS bike shop.

I wouldn't buy German or any helmet at silly prices the only difference is weight, my fullface H2C is light enough and what's important to me a comfortable fit.

• Like 1

I emailed the UNECE.org who gave the ECE rating to this helmet....i asked them how it is possible that this helmet has the ECE rating while the lock starts rotting after 8 months of use....

I'll let you guys know what their reply is.

14 minutes ago, Thian said:

I emailed the UNECE.org who gave the ECE rating to this helmet....i asked them how it is possible that this helmet has the ECE rating while the lock starts rotting after 8 months of use....

I'll let you guys know what their reply is.

ECE, Snell, DOT procedures

test impact resistance,

ONLY.

Sheesh...!

Edited by papa al

Just now, papa al said:

ECE, Snell, DOT

test impact resistance,

ONLY.

I see, so they don't test the lock of the strap at all?? That sounds quite daft....Those newer models also have built in sunglasses, are they also not tested? I expect mine to be made of some kind of safety plastic which won't shatter into pieces when a stone hits it?....

19 minutes ago, Thian said:

Those newer models also have built in sunglasses, are they also not tested? I expect mine to be made of some kind of safety plastic which won't shatter into pieces when a stone hits it?....

... are you going to test that? 

ducking and running...  

p.s. cutting off Standards/Safety Standards Labels invalidates a Helmet from being able to display that it is Complying with the required specifications. 

3 hours ago, Thian said:

This helmet costs 40.000+ baht in Thailand.

But you said that you didn't buy it in Thailand, you bought it in Europe and the M1 Pro only costs the equivalent of B18,000 in Europe.    

Buy a new one, same model is less than B11,000 with free shipping on eBay.

Edited by Just Weird

I have two helmets. One bought in the UK (Shark) that I use during the day. The other is a Thai brand (HJC 8,000 THB) that I use at night. Both are at least 5 years old.

Both buckles are corroded but the mechanisms are just like new. No rust.

I live 100 meters from the sea and humidity is usually very high here on Koh Samui.

Where do you store your helmet when not in use? Do you keep it in a carrier or a box? I keep mine outside in the sea air!

3 hours ago, Thian said:
3 hours ago, papa al said:

That will buff out.

High quality, low quality;

steel is steel and will rust under sweaty, salty, hot, humid conditions.

Clean & wax.

It will also leak into my clothes if it gets wet....i don't need no brown rust spots in my shirts.

It won't if you clean the surface rust of it!