Bank Book Catch Up

I use Bangkok Bank.  Having not seen a bank book / passbook in more than 50 years, I never updated mine.  So after about 9 months I did an update but the result was only a listing for about the last month.  Is there any way to have all the entries added to the book?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Do not believe so.  But you can obtain normal paper statements from branch covering the time period which will show all transactions.   If you have online banking you can download up to six months yourself.

As above, paper statements from bank is the only way 

• Like 2

Firstly, come on... just call it a 'book-bank' in Thailand...  (all Thai's do) !!

You can obtain paper statements from the bank, you may be charged a nominal fee (20 baht for the printing etc). 

My bank use to print out every transaction in the 'book-bank' due to the time between bank visits (sometimes years) that would take quite a while and often involve 3 or 4 books being filled. 

The Bank then seemed to move on to A4 printouts stapled into the 'book-bank'.

Now they just seem to update with the last few months - its quicker and more efficient if you are just popping into the bank. 

In most bank here, if you do not update for a  while they just show all deposit as a single transaction and all withdrawal  as single transaction and you have the balance.

You have to request print-out from your bank for a fee. More than 6 month has to be usually done in the Main Office,  so make take a few days .

Better update every 2-3 months, it depend on the Bank you use,  if you want all transactions to show in your bank book. 

I use 4-5 bank books every year as I use my debit card to buy in most stores. At my bank the bank books only have 5 pages. I hope one day they switch to monthly statement, but it may take another 10 years to update to Thailand 4.0.

Edited by cnx355
typing error

You need to update your bank book every month to get all the transactions. Especially if using Internet banking as well. You will see in my post  Renewal of extension of stay (non-o visa retirement) at Hua Hin  more about this. 

At BB you used to be able to update passbook every 3 months but that period is much shorter now so if you want to capture everything I believe you should do this monthly. In the USA I have not seen a passbook in over 30 years. Last night I saw CNN interview with CEO of SCB who claims that 96% of their transactions are now digital. Hard to believe !

7 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

That is correct.  In the US, I have never actually used a bank book.  I have heard the words passbook but never actually used one.  You are correct though, it is actually closer to 60 years.  I was never issued one and always got electronic statements and before that they were mailed to me.

I have a passbook (that's what Krungsri call it, so I'll use their term) but rarely update it. I used downloaded statements for my recent extension renewal which were accepted by the IO.

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Never miss an chance  to attempt to belittle Thai people. In a forum where you feel safe that a Thai wouldn't likely have an opportunity to respond.

Khun Suradit69, don't be too hard on Smith.  I'm pretty sure I know him and he is not a Thai basher (at all, normally). It may be his wife and family that uses the book-bank term. Who knows, just don't get too upset about such a trivial comment.

AAArdvark: It doesn't happen to me too much anymore, but there was a time when, if I didn't update my book at least once every month they bank would only print a summary of my transactions for the period in which I had not updated. As above, I had to go to the bank and ask for a print of each transaction. PITA, but it made a lot of sense. I didn't have to get a new bank book every 6 months that way.

Cheers to both of you!!

3 hours ago, cnx355 said:

In most bank here, if you do not update for a  while they just show all deposit as a single transaction and all withdrawal  as single transaction and you have the balance.

You have to request print-out from your bank for a fee. More than 6 month has to be usually done in the Main Office,  so make take a few days .

Better update every 2-3 months, it depend on the Bank you use,  if you want all transactions to show in your bank book. 

I use 4-5 bank books every year as I use my debit card to buy in most stores. At my bank the bank books only have 5 pages. I hope one day they switch to monthly statement, but it may take another 10 years to update to Thailand 4.0.

If you have monthly deposits and you want to be able to see them in the bank book ,then you need to update the book every month. 

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

No all Thais don't and those who do are probably using English words without much knowledge of English. Using your approach I guess we could say all farang make exaggerated claims about things they couldn't possibly know.

Never miss an chance  to attempt to belittle Thai people. In a forum where you feel safe that a Thai wouldn't likely have an opportunity to respond.

Would you have gotten it if R.Smith said booklet-bank instead of book-bank? As this maybe is an even better translation for "samut tanakarn", which most Thais use indeed..????

3 hours ago, Jack james said:

I just got mine. Each book 100 baht. Only going back 6 months. No farther.  Bangkok bank. A certified stamped print out.

There are Bangkok Bank branches that issues 12 months bank letters.

Jomtien branch is one. 

A someone else says, you're talking rubbish. In Thailand it's a 'book bank' not a 'bank book'. 

Joking aside, when I came here a few years ago it showed all entries when you updated it. For the past two years or so only the balance had been updated. In other words, it is absolutely without value apart from telling someone your bank balance as of a certain date. 

Shoddy, shoddy service, I cite KBank, Bkk Bank and Bank of Ayahuda as culprits. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

A someone else says, you're talking rubbish. In Thailand it's a 'book bank' not a 'bank book'. 

Joking aside, when I came here a few years ago it showed all entries when you updated it. For the past two years or so only the balance had been updated. In other words, it is absolutely without value apart from telling someone your bank balance as of a certain date. 

Shoddy, shoddy service, I cite KBank, Bkk Bank and Bank of Ayahuda as culprits. 

If you update your bank book at least once a month (I'm doing it twice a month), then every transaction will be shown. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

You can view the last 6 months online then download the whole time period. If you want annual printed records just do this every six months.

You can do that, but paper statements you download yourself are hardly legally acceptable for anyone who wants your annual statement. For personal accounting I prefer sonething like Microsoft Money, tallied with your bank's online account (in UK you can even d/L bank statements directly into MS Money. My accounting in Thailand is no more that complicated though...

For any demands due annual statements you need to go to your bank and ask them to print and stamp/authenticate the period you need. Pay the THB 100 they demand and then you have it. 

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you update your bank book at least once a month (I'm doing it twice a month), then every transaction will be shown. 

Really? I haven't experienced that, but then I refuse to tailor my behaviour to fit with the delinquencies of Thai banks. For immigration I'll need bank statements anyway, and I use a computer program for my personal accounting. 

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Really? I haven't experienced that, but then I refuse to tailor my behaviour to fit with the delinquencies of Thai banks. For immigration I'll need bank statements anyway, and I use a computer program for my personal accounting. 

When using the >65k monthly method you really need to update your bank book frequently to be able to see every deposit.