Dr. Somkid insists Thai economy remains good but growing slowly

webfact

38 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Close but no cigar!

As usual you select outdated numbers to lend support to your proud defence of junta style economics. These days both China and the US combined only represent 22% (not 32%) of Thai export trade. 

The updated 2019 figures from your 2017 numbers are, to quote:

"Major export partners are China (12 percent), Japan (10 percent), the United States (10 percent) and the European Union (9.5 percent). Others include: Malaysia, Australia and Singapore." 

I do acknowledge that if one Googles hard and long enough that statistics can always be found to suit any purpose and support any argument.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/exports

A quarter or a third, does it really matter, it's a chunk of change either way and either one will have a substantial impact.

But wait, I only just saw this part.....I don't care who is in government, military, elected, Donald Duck or who ever, I have no argument for against any of them. All of my arguments are based solely on economics and hopefully on fact and I'm certainly not trying to defend anyone.

Edited by saengd
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BestB said:

Thai economy doing super well.

-30 something million tourists and empty hotel rooms 

-exports just slowing but factories closing down and laying off employees

-all is great but empty shopfronts all over country

- thai are spending and travelling but household debt at record highs 

nothing to worry about , carry on as usual 

-"all is great but empty shopfronts all over country".

Do you imagine internet shopping has had a similar effect here that it has in western countries, high street shops all closed down, retailers closing down or issuing consecutive profit warnings or is Thailand immune?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BestB said:

I did not realise bars or restaurants of 20-30 years closed down the doors to sell online 

Ahhh, so not high street shops then, you mean bars and restaurants, that's much clearer. BTW I only asked a question!!!

Edited by saengd
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Admittedly, expats don’t matter to Dr. Somkid.  But exports, tourism and the SET should matter.  Apparently, they don’t...

What if, I mean just imagine for a moment, what if he's actually right and you're wrong, could that be possible?