Thai Food

adamx

I love Thai food especially all the spicy sauces. I am wondering nutritionally how they fare? And are they healthy for people who have a hypertensive and diabetic family history?

Edited by adamx

IMHO, they would be healthier than a fast food diet. The veg and fruit is a plus, however, the sugar salt and MSG are a minus. I think it depends on what you eat and how it is cooked. Obviously grilled is better than fried and that is dependant on the oil they use to cook in.

IMHO, they would be healthier than a fast food diet. The veg and fruit is a plus, however, the sugar salt and MSG are a minus. I think it depends on what you eat and how it is cooked. Obviously grilled is better than fried and that is dependant on the oil they use to cook in.

Agree with these comments. But re hypertension - unfortunately due to the high use of sugar, palm oil for frying and the liking for fatty pork, chicken etc. here hypertension is almost inevitable for many farang, unless they're careful and exercise.

The big issues for hypertension as I'm sure you know are, smoking, high alcohol consumption, unhealthy diet, and lack of exercise, all of which are in abundance amongst expats. The genetic factor is big but we can't change that one. From my professional perspective I would also add boredom, stress,depression, relationship and money problems, especially for expat. men in Thailand, which often results in excessive smoking, drinking etc.

I dont smoke, drink moderately, do eat too much, but the balance of my diet is OK. I cycle but not since the hot weather has arrived. I'm about 25 kilos overweight, have hypertension, and also prostate cancer. I could blame the weight on the stress of the cancer but that would be a copout. I'm currently into steamed everything more or less, a lot of water, green tea, vegies, fruit and fish. As someone else commented the threat of death is a powerful motivator.

Some trivia - Japanese have previously been seen amongst health workers as having the best diet - although thats changing. Calorie consumption is about the same as Thailand (2693) compared to (2508) in Thailand. Thais are more literate (95.5%) compared to 86% in Japan. BUT the Japanese live much longer (84 yrs) compared to 71 yrs for Thais. The big health issues in Thailand ? - diabetes, smoking related cancer, and heart disease.

But its ironic that many westerners, despite our diet and lifestyle still live longer than anyone else.

Agree with these comments. But re hypertension - unfortunately due to the high use of sugar, palm oil for frying and the liking for fatty pork, chicken etc. here hypertension is almost inevitable for many farang, unless they're careful and exercise.

The big issues for hypertension as I'm sure you know are, smoking, high alcohol consumption, unhealthy diet, and lack of exercise, all of which are in abundance amongst expats. The genetic factor is big but we can't change that one. From my professional perspective I would also add boredom, stress,depression, relationship and money problems, especially for expat. men in Thailand, which often results in excessive smoking, drinking etc.

I dont smoke, drink moderately, do eat too much, but the balance of my diet is OK. I cycle but not since the hot weather has arrived. I'm about 25 kilos overweight, have hypertension, and also prostate cancer. I could blame the weight on the stress of the cancer but that would be a copout. I'm currently into steamed everything more or less, a lot of water, green tea, vegies, fruit and fish. As someone else commented the threat of death is a powerful motivator.

Some trivia - Japanese have previously been seen amongst health workers as having the best diet - although thats changing. Calorie consumption is about the same as Thailand (2693) compared to (2508) in Thailand. Thais are more literate (95.5%) compared to 86% in Japan. BUT the Japanese live much longer (84 yrs) compared to 71 yrs for Thais. The big health issues in Thailand ? - diabetes, smoking related cancer, and heart disease.

But its ironic that many westerners, despite our diet and lifestyle still live longer than anyone else.

Fortunately Prostate Cancer is a very slow developer. So don't let it worry you too much old buddy. But keep the BP down and take some Statins and Aspirin every night. All the best.

As leisurely said, depends entirely on how it is prepared. Regular market foods are fried in the worst kind of oil (and too much of it) with MSG and too much sugar to boot.

If you prepare it yourself or eat at a healtyh-conscious restaurant, Thai food minus the MSG and cooked with a healthier oil (Canola, corn oil, or even olive oil) and minimal amounts of sugar can be quite healthy...especially if you substitute brown rice for white.

The fundamental recipes are fine. It is the oil (type and quantityt), MSG and sugar that creates the problem.

Still better than fast foods tho.