Palang Pracharat MP Krungsrivilai suspended from performing MP duties

webfact

Palang Pracharat MP Krungsrivilai suspended from performing MP duties

krungsrivilai.jpg

Former movie star-turned-politician Krungsrivilai Suthinphuek was suspended from performing his duties as an MP today, by the Supreme Court for Election Cases, for alleged vote buying.

The Supreme Court issued the order, suspending the Palang Pracharat party MP for Samut Prakan province, after it agreed to accept for consideration an accusation from the Election Commission (EC) that a close aide of his made a 1,000 baht donation at a funeral, held at a temple in his constituency during the March 24th general election campaign period.

The EC issued a Yellow Card to Mr. Krungsrivilai after it ruled that the donation was deemed to be an attempt at vote buying, intended to curry the favour of the relatives of the deceased.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/palang-pracharat-mp-krungsrivilai-suspended-from-performing-mp-duties/

thaipbs.jpg

21 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

That is drawing a long bow. A single payment at a culturally significant event that is the norm by Thai standards is a stretch. I am no fan of the party involved, but this is a waste of court time.

I wonder who made the complaint?

Point taken, IMHO there's another point, if the courts turn a blind eye to this scenario then how many politicians will turn an inch into a mile? Plus politics in LOS is still dominated with old style scaly politicians and parties and party leaders, who will have no hesitation to go for the mile. 

I add,,, copied from another thread just a few minutes ago:

My Thai DIL says that a sizeable number of the old red shirt brigade was paying for votes and intimidating voters before the general election in one area in Tak province. 

Edited by scorecard

8 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

They are slowly chipping away at the opposition parties (FFP) numbers as they are perceived to be a threat to the ruling 'junta' elite.

Yes they are but this is one of their own. And I would say a stupid complaint with almost no meaning. I would say the same if it was on the oppositions side. This is just childish.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

They are slowly chipping away at the opposition parties (FFP) numbers as they are perceived to be a threat to the ruling 'junta' elite.

I'm open to being corrected but my search does not show "the Palang Pracharat party" as being aligned with FFP.

Search: Palang Pracharath Party, also spelled Palang Pracharat is a Thai political party with ties to the National Council for Peace and Order, the military junta ...

I repeat; I'm open to clarity.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes they are but this is one of their own. And I would say a stupid complaint with almost no meaning. I would say the same if it was on the oppositions side. This is just childish.

You're correct, but when the junta started to play games that invited in everyone!

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Point taken, IMHO there's another point, if the courts turn a blind eye to this scenario then how many politicians will turn an inch into a mile? Plus politics in LOS is still dominated with old style scaly politicians and parties and party leaders, who will have no hesitation to go for the mile. 

I add,,, copied from another thread just a few minutes ago:

My Thai DIL says that a sizeable number of the old red shirt brigade was paying for votes and intimidating voters before the general election in one area in Tak province. 

An unproven allegation from your Thai DIL, spread here to suit your agenda, while there is definitive proof for the case in the OP to answer, thus the punishment. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

it agreed to accept for consideration an accusation from the Election Commission (EC) that a close aide of his made a 1,000 baht donation at a funeral,

You've got to be kidding.  My wife's niece passes out 300-500 baht to each & everyone in the village to vote for Pheu Thai at every election. Heaven forbid their candidate doesn't win.  She'd be in big trouble. (a village in Isaan)

Every village event, children's day, songkran etc I am expected to donate 1000 Baht to the event., also weddings, funerals etc. It is not a bribe, I get nothing in return, it is simply an awareness of my relative wealth compared to them.