Makro prices make no sense

SteveK

One secret is when they have sales or discount section, to stock up on the things you like.

This might require a 2nd fridge and/or deep freezer.

And makro isn't always the end all/be all.   You might be surprised what your local butcher or food supply can do.  Even one from out of town.   Ask some of the expats affiliated with a local restaurant where they source their meat from.

Not only at Makro but also other places I have seen prices rise (the standard 8 slice pack cheeses used to be 140 baht and are now 150-155 sometimes).
Also with some other products seen changes but in general most is still relatively cheap, specially if you do not mind to use a different cheese etc.

My only guess was that they sell less of these products again now, so a price increase to compensate that. Otherwise greed as usual.
I mean, it are some serious amounts of western products you sell or do not without the (western) tourists.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 2

It could be that the shelf life on many imported goods is being reached since there are less foreigners (in some areas) and less of us purchasing expensive imported foods.  Maybe they are just trying to recoup some of the cost of goods that were tossed after reaching their sell-by dates. 

I noticed in the Makro here that many imported products were very dusty and some had already expired so not much in the way of rotation it would seem.  They might have snuck in another VAT increase on these goods as well (it wouldn't surprise me).

4 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Anyway, picked up a lovely bit of salmon fillet in Tops today.  The FIL absolutely loves it and so do I.  Not cheap but 470 baht for .4 kilo which isn't too shabby and feeds a family of four.  

Tesco were doing some nice salmon fillets for 69 baht each. Just enough for a meal with broccoli and other veg. However, I was in there a couple of days ago and although the price was the same the portions seem to have shrunk so I left them alone.

Put one in a fish pie with a fillet of dollie , shrimps and crabsticks and you have a tasty treat especially if you add a dash of mustard to the rue.

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Whilst I like Thai food, meat in Thailand is usually VERY poor quality. Especially beef, which OP said he enjoys. 

Thai beef or Thai-French beef is horrid. 

Makro is your friend.  Generally Oz derived and of good quality.  Get there early in the morning for the best beef cuts.  

Edited by torturedsole
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Very little makes sense in Thailand,in fact not making sense is the norm.

Makro airport style security puts me off going

The car parking att can at times do overkill on the whistle

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Makro is your friend.  Generally Oz derived and of good quality.  Get there early in the morning for the best beef cuts.  

I travel a good bit. So when I want really good meat, I head off to Australia, Singapore or Korea/Japan. 

Makro is great. 

Also, Joe Sloane is not bad. They seem to make poor quality Thai grown meat the best it can be

https://www.sloanes.co.th/product/dry-aged-new-york-strip-2x220g/

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Strange you say that as out in the boonies I notice Lea & Perrins at 88 baht per bottle the other day and thought that was entirely reasonable for an import.  Non-descript outlet, too.  

I live in the boonies and I get a Thai version of it which tastes exactly the same for 50 baht a bottle.

IMG_20191206_203744.jpg

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Anyway, picked up a lovely bit of salmon fillet in Tops today.  The FIL absolutely loves it and so do I.  Not cheap but 470 baht for .4 kilo which isn't too shabby and feeds a family of four.  

I pay 300 baht/kg for Norwegian salmon at the Samyan market in central Bangkok.

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Good for you.  Out here in the boonies just a bit more but we're not going to deprive ourselves of such delicacies.   

Edited by torturedsole

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Sorry Mods if I'm off topic here but in response to Norwegian Salmon, I wouldn't eat that if it was the last thing left to eat on Earth.  If you haven't seen this video documentary on it I suggest you watch it (for you AND your families sake).  Carry on friends.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1