The Government Doesn't Want Us Here

There are always options. If I travel within Thailand, my Thai GF hands over her ID to any hotel I stay at. I am invisible. I only register a TM 30 when I return from abroad.

While the 800K baht requirement is annoying, I think the government became fed up with retirees who were rorting the system with BS income claims, based on false declarations at their embassies.

One should remember the countries who do not have Thailand's financial requirements may be equally attractive in terms of cost of living, but their infrastructure is decidedly inferior.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The TM30 is a non issue. As for insurance-change your type of visa. As for 800k- you have the money. No need to panic.

As for 800k- you have the money. No need to panic.

For now maybe….! as on a my country forum ,someone from Udon needed to show on top of that 800K he bring money in to Thailand or spending money besides the untouched 800K …. he thought they may be think he work …. and so it goes on …., question where they go stop …? (for a while  ...)

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1

You only partly correct   Thai government does not want poor foreigners but wants wealthy ones. Thailand no longer needs just anyone , they are now picky and want only those who can afford it .

the reporting and all the rest was always the law just not enforced and with growing number of tourists and growing number of problems it is now enforced .

if you want to generalise and say they do not want us here than it started 15 years ago not 3 years ago .

15 years ago everyone did 30 day visa runs , endlessly and some did not even have to go, for extra 500 baht only your passport went 

Edited by BestB
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Flutterby said:

Yeah, they don't want us here so I am considering leaving and I would discourage anyone from coming to live in Thailand.

You think Thai government should build a wall? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

every time i go to immigration i am treated like a VIP.

thai neighbors love me. 

cannot be easier and nothing has changed for me in 6 years. 

FOR ME if i did not read Thai visa i would completely unaware anything has changed.

You are correct about reading about problems on Thai Visa. It acts as an echo chamber and amplifies issues even when people are wrong. All the paranoia,  neurosis and worry seems to come from people reading about it not actually experiencing it. We thus have the situation where new visitors to Thailand are worrying about TM30s etc without realizing its normal hotel procedure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, david555 said:

As for 800k- you have the money. No need to panic.

For now maybe….! as on a my country forum ,someone from Udon needed to show on top of that 800K he bring money in to Thailand or spending money besides the untouched 800K …. he thought they may be think he work …. and so it goes on …., question where they go stop …? (for a while  ...)

Mainly hearsay and second guessing.

To the OP.....it`s not about not being wanted. It`s about the fact that many Thai ppl don`t use their brains at all. Mix that with the ridiculous education of not being able to admit a fault/not losing their face, that`s the natural result.

The percentage of educated and smart Thai ppl are everywhere, but not in the government:) It`s sad ,but the reality. 

It's a bit of a tirade but I will agree in principle the Thai government is anti western in it's outlook. It has and continues to nurture relationships with Communist China despite this nation's historical anti communist stance. It doesn't want Western long stay tourists as they are nosing about in Thai politics. It doesn't want western governments. For decades Thailand has kept many outside ngos out.

While the local people and economy needs spenders, it's absolute folly to turn away tourists. Nevertheless, with massive cash reserves the government couldn't care less.

Thailand has no system to distinguish wealthy and working class tourists so while they may market to the wealthy there is no program encouraging this lot. In fact wealthy people might visit once at best. Thailand has nothing to offer rich people who don't like hassles, crime and thuggery. Finally, Thailand is absolutely clueless about the nature of work in the 21st century. I'm not surprised look how each government office and bureaucrat functions. The nation's ability to serve its own needs is dubious at best.

Thailand's government since 2006 has had this mindset. It's only since 2014 have things really taken a turn downward.

What thaivisa members apparently don't realize is that they in particular are being singled out. Thailand has had enough of middle aged, brokeass, complaining sex tourists. This lot is extremely angered at the situation because Thailand is free and easy and they have everything sorted out here. STOP coming here.

As for long stay women. They tend imo to be more likely to work. Women in general are less capitalized and less mischief to get up to here. So they're teaching babies or working on islands. Maybe an online business with their foreign bf.

Finally, while the simple, clear solution is to provide guidelines and why this has not been done i can only offer cynicism that all the idiots that continue fronting up and being rejected, need extensions this feeds jobs. But in a larger frame I think any grand announcement about only allowing 4 weeks a year or two or whatever would really sink tourism. It had in Indonesia not that Thailand has taken note. Indo has had the same anti western mindset for decades.

I really don't know why men continue to suffer this. It's not going to change as well except for the worse. I really start to question the intelligence of those that bang on with their tourist entries. The O visa mongers using illegal agents - well, they are living out their last days in warmth before they are forced home.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Better to bung the agent the 13k or whatever than tie up $26,000 !

For a Brit the money may as well be tied up here as in the UK. You need to add 10,000THB loss of interest to the cost of an agent. 

• Like 1