Re-upholstering a leather office chair..

bobbin

I would like to replace the "leather" on my name-brand office chair..

Unbelievably, after approximately 14 months, the "leather" ( real leather but not cow-hide, rather a leather produced by creating a mash of low-quality offcuts and then pressed) has been disintegrating. Apparently I was misled by the 10 year warranty on my Crazy Joy, as when I contacted customer service I was informed the "leather" upholstery was only guaranteed for 1 year, while it is the gas-powered structure that has the 10 year warranty. This is a 15,000 Baht Chair!

I guess I need a shop that does leather interiors for automobiles. I'm thinking maybe 4-5000 Baht?

Any experiences/suggestions?

• Haha 1

Will it be worth the fix?  In my experience (15-20k chairs) they will fail almost as fast as better cheaper chairs (as long as cheaper chairs are designed for more than Thai weight).  Back support spring will not be strong enough after time and adjustment will break or not be enough.  Casters will require replacement.  That 10 year piston will fail.  Have not had great luck with chairs and am only about 90k.  Perhaps best to plan yearly change (although the 1-3k chairs may not even last that time).

Expect auto might be able to cover but would not use leather - have had much better luck with good quality artificial leather in Thailand (recliners).  Here in Bangkok have visiting trucks make rounds to pick up furniture for re-covering.

• Like 1

I recently got my sofa done in Soi Khao Noi, about 100 m before of Tops on the right hand site, coming from Sukhumvit. They charged me less then half of the price that other upholsterers have been asking for.

... and they did a great job including pick up and delivery to Pattaya Klang!

Very little English though.

OP: With 30 years experience in the office furniture business, I think I might be able to input a bit for you.

By price, you have a mid range chair. Seat was probably covered in PUC, cheap faux leather. It peels off.

Does the chair weigh a few pounds? A quality chair weighs which means it has a hefty control underneath, Cheap chairs use light weight controls that break easily. Press on the seat left and right with your hands. Is there flex to the seat board (if so, economy-grade seat board).

Does the gas lift cylinder lift the chair quickly? It is unusual that a manufacturer would put a 10 year lift in a chair that they supplied with cheap upholstery.

Final test: Flip the chair over and look at the bottom of the gas lift cylinder. It should appear dry. If you see wet (oil), the gas lift cylinder has limited life in it.

So check these points out and then decide if worth recovering.

• Like 1