One killed, another injured in road safety exercise in Korat

webfact

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

If the truck driver was going at or under the speed limit, it was not excessive speed...

sounds like the women merged over w/o looking.....90% of cyclists do this expecting the next lane drivers to adjust...

fault = cyclist 

Ever heard of driving to suit the conditions? A speed below the speed limit isn't necessarily an appropriate speed. A thinking truck driver (or any driver) would realise a lane ahead was blocked, that other vehicles might be pulling out to get past the obstruction and reduce speed to make allowance for possible stupid moves.

• Like 1

When I teach people to drive a car or bike the first lesson is 'STOP'. Stopping is critical in driving. When there seems to be road confusion ahead be ready to stop and understand the situation. STOP. Yes, that sounds very conservative but drivers any place in the world can get confused quickly. Also, some drivers in the world can be extremely bad drivers. obviously, the truck driver does not adhere to my principle #1. (I hear some of you saying do you really need to stop. Answer...no, but go very slow until you know the situation better).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The left lane was blocked off !! Where was she supposed to go ?? I guess, just a guess, that she pulled out to the right and Mr Speeding truck driver ploughed into her from behind !! If she had been in a car, the truck would have probably destroyed that too... 

Just a guess ????

Well - if you change lanes you have to:

A - check the mirrors for traffic in the lane youre thinking about entering.

B - turn youre head around and have a good look into the lane you plan to enter and check again for traffic. 
Then if its clear you can change lane. If there is traffic coming in the lane you plan to enter such as a truck in high speed - you will have to wait until that truck has passed and then check again for traffic. I suppose the motorbike driver in this case didnt check for traffic. Most thais doesnt do so before changing lanes. Thats something I see about every day here...

• Like 2

R.I.P.

Just in general in this case.  If you are in Pattaya you will see all the work being done roads being ripped apart over and over again barriers are place up driving is like a maze. There is no oversight by officials approving of the work as to how to keep traffic flowing safely because they just never been trained.

Then you got drivers belief others should look after you instead of looking after yourself. How did it ever get to the point you would come out of a Soi without ever stopping and make a right or left turn?

Just speculating because I see it each day running around town, bikes swinging in and out of traffic as if they are the only one on the road then you got truck drivers like this one who doesn't care about the speed limit or even think slow down when there is construction etc. 

• Like 1