Fruit Flies ??

Andrew Dwyer

Just lately have been getting a lot of little flies in the house , they are in every room ( bathroom, kitchen, lounge, etc ) and although a spray of all rooms, when we go out, kills a lot of them they reappear very quickly.

I’m calling them fruit flies but not sure if that’s correct .

841A7D0A-37A4-479A-8981-BDDCEC3AD3A4.thumb.jpeg.47716cd3e6e4b0e816acd7c2525d4aef.jpeg

Anyone know,

a) what they are

b) how to get rid of them 

TIA

Andy

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I should have mentioned, we have mosquito frames on all windows and doors and traps on all the floor and sink drains.

I have no idea where they are getting in .

Can be they are coming through your drains, do you have P traps in all your drains?

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:
2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Can be they are coming through your drains, do you have P traps in all your drains?

Yup 

As it was suggested by from the home of CC, pour some bleach in your drains, it can't hurt.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

As it was suggested by from the home of CC, pour some bleach in your drains, it can't hurt.

Yes, the gf went out for some this morning, came back with the Toilet Duck !

Google translate came up with ฟอกขาว or “ Fok Khao “ which she didn’t seem to recognise.

Anyone know the name of a good bleach to suit my purpose . ?

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, the gf went out for some this morning, came back with the Toilet Duck !

Google translate came up with ฟอกขาว or “ Fok Khao “ which she didn’t seem to recognise.

Anyone know the name of a good bleach to suit my purpose . ?

Showing a photo is best

20180715_125737.jpg

• Like 2

Well , on further investigation ( and a tip off from Thian ) it would appear that they are Drain flys originating from our guest bathroom and on a quick glance looks like the shower drain is semi blocked.

The shower gets used a couple of times a month only .

Soo, given it a quick spray, the apple cider vinegar had no effect, and will give it a good clean in the morning.

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well , on further investigation ( and a tip off from Thian ) it would appear that they are Drain flys originating from our guest bathroom and on a quick glance looks like the shower drain is semi blocked.

The shower gets used a couple of times a month only .

Soo, given it a quick spray, the apple cider vinegar had no effect, and will give it a good clean in the morning.

You need a siphon (waterlock) on the drain...we have lids on the showerdrain who work as a siphon...

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes I always keep bananas , mango, guava, apple etc in the fridge, the only fruit I keep out is oranges . 

Keep fruit out of the fridge,  especially bananas but use a gauze trap cover. Vinegar will not deter fruit flies. Fruit flies produce vinegar from fermenting alcohol.

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Keep fruit out of the fridge,  especially bananas but use a gauze trap cover. Vinegar will not deter fruit flies. Fruit flies produce vinegar from fermenting alcohol.

Bananas last longer in the fridge, individually wrap them in bags once part\all yellow and they last a lot longer than leaving outside