3bb fiber & 5GHz

krung

Hi, got the 3bb fiber installed but some device in the house cannot see the 5GHz frequency. Have read online about changing the channel (which i tried but unsuccessfully, wasn't sure if need to restart router every time changed channel), other are saying to change the location.

Has anybody here faced the same problem and did they get it fixed?? Don't want to be messing around with the settings too juch.

Thanks

Hi, thanks all for the replies. It is a dual band router, so some can get on the 5GHz but some cannot. Will maybe change the SSID name to see if helps. The phone is only a few years old , and a search on the internet said it does have 5GHz capabilities. Just would like to get the top speed as like to stream stuff on my phone. 

Thanks 

53 minutes ago, krung said:

Just would like to get the top speed as like to stream stuff on my phone. 

2.4Ghz should be fast enough... but if you have a lot of neighbours nearby with WiFi the frequencies can be crowded

which can slow the speed down.

10 hours ago, Henryford said:

I have 3bb fibre with a dual band router. My devices accept the 5Ghz easily if they are in the same room but sometimes seem to "switch" to 2.4 if in another room. Maybe the 5 Ghz signal is not strong enough?

That's normal, the 5 Ghz range is quite limited.

10 hours ago, krung said:

Even 4k streaming would be no problem with 2.4 Ghz wifi.

11 hours ago, krung said:

If you have a 3BB fiber connection it is likely 100 Mbit/s or more?

Mine is currently set at 300 Mbit/s.

If I connect my basic smartphone via 2.4 GHz it does about 50 to 60 Mbit/s.

At 5 GHz it does about 100 Mbit/s.

(install the OOKLA speedtest app to check)

ALL these numbers are far faster than what you need to stream videos in Full HD or even 4k (which makes no sense on a smartphone anyway).

I would not spent a minute on that "problem".

I connect my phone only via 2.4 as that has a better signal all over the house and upper floor.

If your streams on the phone do not work reliably the problems are of a completely different kind and not related to WiFi connection.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's normal, the 5 Ghz range is quite limited.

Even 4k streaming would be no problem with 2.4 Ghz wifi.

In my older, thicker walled home in central BKK, my dual band 3BB fiber router is in the living room, and most of the wifi use occurs either in that same room or in an adjoining bedroom.

In my case, like many others, I get markedly better performance and speeds from a 5 GHz wifi connection vs everything else remaining the same except for switching to a 2.4 GHz wifi connection.

In my neighborhood, the 2.4 GHz band is quite crowded with competing wifi signals, whereas the 5 GHz band is still relatively sparsely used by comparison. Also, the 2.4 GHz band is capped at older and slower N class wifi, whereas the 5 GHz band can support newer and faster AC class wifi, assuming all the involved hardware supports it. 

A very common problem for a client device not being able to see a router's broadcast SSID.   Heck, just on Monday I swapped out my Asus AC86U for an Asus AX88U router and two of my laptops had issues in being able to see the 5Ghz SSID and one couldn't see either the 5GHz or 2.4GHz SSID of the new AX88U.

However, a simple "Restart" allowed one laptop to start seeing the SSID as that reset/cleared something in the laptop's network.  But for the other laptop all the Restarts, Reboots in the world didn't help.  Nor did Router reboots help.  I had to uninstall and reinstall the laptop's Wifi circuit driver "twice" to get it to see the new router.  

And just simply changing a router's frequency channels or SSID name can cause the problem--or clear up the problem.  Wifi can be pain.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...