UK PM Johnson plans to block extension of Brexit transition beyond 2020

webfact

7 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

What a great prospect lies ahead, breaking free of that undemocratic institution. 

Meanwhile, in other news, failed tory candidates Zac Goldsmith and Nicky Morgan get peerages to allow them to continue to trough at the taxpayers' expense. That swamp will be drained by Christmas at this rate! 

It'll go some way at least to evening the odds in the Lords. Leavers are grossly outnumbered.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, vogie said:

Of course it's the remainers fault, for 3.5 years now they have done every trick in the book to stymie the democratic referendum decision made by our country. Most of the duplitious MPs have been purged from parliament, many remain Labour seats have gone blue, why, because some people understand the importance of respecting a democratic vote. 

Boris has worked wonders that many said was impossible and make no mistake we are all leavers now so it's time we started supporting the United Kingdom, even Steve 'foghorn' Bray has put a sock in it.

So you are saying the the fall of the £ today is due to Boris. Thanks.

54 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

When the British were invited to join the €uro, thier currency waqs approx € 1,70. When all about Brexit started, € 1,35-1,40. After a lot of uncertinity: € 1,10 and now all know, Boris will have a hard Brexit 31 Dec 2020.. we will see.

The uncertainty was the remainers keeping us in. That has been sorted with the Tories overall majority.

20 minutes ago, david555 said:

So by now Gina Miller is probably consulting her lawyers already …? ok …,so the legal show besides the HOC show …, both promising excellent British politics entertainment ….

lol

The legal show wont get anywhere with a strong majority government, the judicial meddles when there is a weak gov or if you prefer no clear will from the people. That has been rectified in this election. Im certain Miller will continue her crusade but there is nothing much she or her lawyers can do, Brexit is now in the hands of a strong majority government with a clear mandate ( or demand ) and will to leave..thats that really.

If Boris enshrines into law no further delays possible then it will focus the minds in the EU to get a deal done. With a majority of 80, Johnson can go for a hard deal or a soft deal. Either way, the EU has to agree.

We are in the age of populism, thats both good and bad but there is a rule we can apply that mostly proves to be accurate with someone such as Boris.

Politicians are liars and cannot be trusted including Boris we all know that. However,Politicians will actually do what they say if they believe it is in their best interest, this applies very much to Boris and his current position.

Example our Fishing rights in negotiations with the EU. Most would and are expecting Boris to hand them over but I dont. Why ? quite simply because of Scotland. Y'see Scotland wants control over its fishing rights, something the EU would never allow a member state but it would have it in the  UK, this would be a very useful tool against Sturgeon  and id say its in Johnsons best interest to keep the fishing rights as a tool to use regarding Scotland's future and leaving.

Boris imo is very likely to amend the law to make an extension impossible, he needs to show it to the electorate and its in his best interest, so he will. Similarly hard or soft it is in the EUs best interest to have a deal in place by the deadline and given Germany has the most to lose and holds the most power in the EU a deal will very likely happen.

If I were Boris id turn the screw real hard on the EU now knowing its in his best interest to show tough to the British people, strengthen our negotiating position and in the EUs best interest to get a deal done regardless. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The bloc's chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, has warned that 11 months is not enough time to strike a comprehensive trade deal.

Shouldn't have wasted the last 3 years then!

Roll your sleeves up and start working for your fat salary and stop whining!

3 minutes ago, englishoak said:

The legal show wont get anywhere with a strong majority government, the judicial meddles when there is a weak gov or if you prefer no clear will from the people. That has been rectified in this election. Im certain Miller will continue her crusade but there is nothing much she or her lawyers can do, Brexit is now in the hands of a strong majority government with a clear mandate ( or demand ) and will to leave..thats that really.

If Boris enshrines into law no further delays possible then it will focus the minds in the EU to get a deal done. With a majority of 80, Johnson can go for a hard deal or a soft deal. Either way, the EU has to agree.

We are in the age of populism, thats both good and bad but there is a rule we can apply that mostly proves to be accurate with someone such as Boris.

Politicians are liars and cannot be trusted including Boris we all know that. However,Politicians will actually do what they say if they believe it is in their best interest, this applies very much to Boris and his current position.

Example our Fishing rights in negotiations with the EU. Most would and are expecting Boris to hand them over but I dont. Why ? quite simply because of Scotland. Y'see Scotland wants control over its fishing rights, something the EU would never allow a member state but it would have it in the  UK, this would be a very useful tool against Sturgeon  and id say its in Johnsons best interest to keep the fishing rights as a tool to use regarding Scotland's future and leaving.

Boris imo is very likely to amend the law to make an extension impossible, he needs to show it to the electorate and its in his best interest, so he will. Similarly hard or soft it is in the EUs best interest to have a deal in place by the deadline and given Germany has the most to lose and holds the most power in the EU a deal will very likely happen.

If I were Boris id turn the screw real hard on the EU now knowing its in his best interest to show tough to the British people, strengthen our negotiating position and in the EUs best interest to get a deal done regardless. 

My only answer on all that is that I wish that that "May -Boris Witdraw agreement" passes the HOC. so that is done at least.

If it goes hardball be not surprised E.U. stick's just to the 31 Januari extension and no further , as you think EU. go give in better be prepared as they kept all the time reckoning with a no deal …. .

no 31st January extension! UK leaves 31st January , Trade negotiations have to be concluded by December 2020. All of this will be enshrined in Law. The House of Lords doesnt oppose Manifesto commitments, But if the remainers in Lords did then the gov need to create 1000 peers and end the whole facade.

PS.

So happy my proxy vote in Wood Green in North London helped the Conservative IDS win.

2 hours ago, Letseng said:

Once the ££ hits the floor you may not be so happy. Your drinks will suddenly cost a lot more.

Believe me, the £ will show what the markets think of BoJo and his ideas.

he is just doing what the people wanted, the other mob were just looking out for then selfs, they had a vote the same as everyone else, i don't drink so mine will not cost more, lots of doom and gloom posters, some with no ties to the UK.

17 minutes ago, steve187 said:

he is just doing what the people wanted, the other mob were just looking out for then selfs, they had a vote the same as everyone else, i don't drink so mine will not cost more, lots of doom and gloom posters, some with no ties to the UK.

Yes. Don't be selfish. Shoot yourself in the foot and award oneself a medal for the achievement.

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Very similar to the EU Commission but without the bishops! 

Long time since I heard that name Kinnock, when he was leader of the Labour party, he said he would do away with the House of Lords, what is he now, Lord Kinnock. just another Labour Party hypocrite.

Just now, possum1931 said:

Long time since I heard that name Kinnock, when he was leader of the Labour party, he said he would do away with the House of Lords, what is he now, Lord Kinnock. just another Labour Party hypocrite.

One would almost think that the House of Lords was a Labour Party invention.

59 minutes ago, david555 said:

My only answer on all that is that I wish that that "May -Boris Witdraw agreement" passes the HOC. so that is done at least.

If it goes hardball be not surprised E.U. stick's just to the 31 Januari extension and no further , as you think EU. go give in better be prepared as they kept all the time reckoning with a no deal …. .

That is their choice. If they want to negotiate in good faith, they can do so.

If they want us to leave on 31st January as a "hard Brexit" they can do that too.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That is their choice. If they want to negotiate in good faith, they can do so.

If they want us to leave on 31st January as a "hard Brexit" they can do that too.

EU has been negotiating in good faith for a long time already, it really is up to the UK to come through now.

Archived