Bartering

dd1988

23 hours ago, dd1988 said:

I find I get qouted 30-50% more when buying things here (double). 

Double would be 100% more, not 50% more.  I hope your negotiation skills are better than your math skills. 
"Punch him in the face"??  Hahaha, a typical response for people who lack brain power.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

What military training?  What he meant by "vet" was that he considers himself a veteran of Thailand.  

You might be right, never had someone use it in that sense. But yes its a valid explanation. Though half a year of Thailand hardly makes someone a "vet"

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dd1988 said:

Is this just me?  I feel ljke I will just start walking away from these double pricers

i try not to buy anything that does not have a price on it. hard to do.

but location and source has a lot to do with price.

as an example, there is a type of backpack i have been looking for. on Sukhumvit in Bangkok they ask 1900.

on 2nd road in Pattaya they ask 900. at the border market between TL and Myanmar they want 500 and on Lazada 350.   

• Haha 1

It's called bargaining, not bartering. What I picked up from watching my late wife, if they start out by asking for double the "fair" price, respond by offering half the "fair" price. If you don't know what the "fair" price is, offer one third of their offer. If you want to keep things friendly, you should start out by asking, "Can you go lower than that?" You might try, "Two days ago I was able to buy that for only [whatever you want to pay]." Without saying anything try just walking away and see if the seller calls out a lower price. If you don't like the price just walk away. Why do you think you know what the "fair" price is, anyway? To the seller, the "fair" price is the highest price anyone is willing to pay him/her for the object.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 12:15 PM, wgdanson said:

Sorry dd, you will meet all kinds here, like me, a sarcastic old timer.

If someone asks you for a higher price, just tell them to <deleted>off and go somewhere else. 

Yeah,

That will work as long as you don't mind getting shot or stabbed.

• Confused 1

On 12/18/2019 at 12:15 PM, wgdanson said:

Sorry dd, you will meet all kinds here, like me, a sarcastic old timer.

If someone asks you for a higher price, just tell them to <deleted>off and go somewhere else. 

A sensible answer amongst the dross. The other alternative is if you like haggling then go for it, but always with a smile. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I believe the correct metaphor would be haggling.

Either way I think you need to get out more and chill.

bar•ter

(ˈbɑr tər) 
v.i.

1. to trade by exchange of commodities rather than by the use of money.

Not a metaphor, It is just a verb, to haggle.

haggle
verb
verb: haggle; 3rd person present: haggles; past tense: haggled; past participle: haggled; gerund or present participle: haggling
  1. dispute or bargain persistently, especially over the cost of something.
    "the two sides are haggling over television rights"
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I think we're taking about normal market or shop haggling, not backstreet drug buying.  

Yeah,

but telling them to <deleted> off won't go down too well no matter who you are dealing with. It tends to be internationally understood by all nationalities!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 9:47 PM, worgeordie said:

I thought bartering was (an example) offering a dozen eggs for a piglet.

exchange of goods without money.

regards Worgeordie

And still commonly practiced throughout the traditional real world

Semantics that are lest comprehended. 

????

8 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Biggest Scam artist is <snip> we bought a memory foam pillow at Pattaya Klang paid 2400 baht for it got back to the condo looked on Lazada had it for 499 - ouch I won't get fooled again ! ????

Was it the same brand/manufacturer?

Lazada sell a lot of copy stuff from China, so assuming the one you bought in Central wasn't a copy, then it might explain it?

I bought a bicycle seat cover from Lazada. It was shipped from China.

It had the name Merida (a brand of bicycle) printed on the back. Within a few weeks the name started to fade, not unexpected at the cheap price of 400 Baht.

8 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

What military training?  What he meant by "vet" was that he considers himself a veteran of Thailand.  

Perhaps he's British. He could be a veterinarian neutering soi dogs here in his spare time - using the hobnailed boot in the rear approach.

• Haha 2

I find I get quoted 30-50% more when buying things here (double).

I get really insulted when someone knows I’m a "vet" here yet still tries double price. 

Is this just me?  I feel like I will just start walking away from these double pricers

If you like to barter, then firstly you should learn some basic algebra.

When someone quotes a 50% higher price, this is not "doubling".   Doubling the price would mean he asks for 100% more

Edited by crazygreg44

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Yeah,

but telling them to <deleted> off won't go down too well no matter who you are dealing with. It tends to be internationally understood by all nationalities!

Of course no one actually tells them ‘where to go’ in the real world, only  when posting on TV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Was it the same brand/manufacturer?

Lazada sell a lot of copy stuff from China, so assuming the one you bought in Central wasn't a copy, then it might explain it?

I bought a bicycle seat cover from Lazada. It was shipped from China.

It had the name Merida (a brand of bicycle) printed on the back. Within a few weeks the name started to fade, not unexpected at the cheap price of 400 Baht.

Sounds like a gaseous issue.

????

12 hours ago, faraday said:

Ah, I see, so it's Central that's at fault, because you didn't consider if the pillow was expensive?

Taught me a lesson a fool and his money are soon parted - at least I know it's real and bought at the rrp. Like another said the Lazada could be a copy !

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

He knows the price he wants but the system dictates he has to try it on. You know what you’re prepared to pay and If you find common ground the deal is done.

For me, if the opening price is so far off the scale that’s it’s actually insulting then I don’t counter offer, I say nothing and walk away. 
I'm not sure 6 months of being here is anywhere near long enough to be fully clued up on pricing. Likelihood is that you just don’t always know when you’ve overpaid.

Ive had experiences where the attitude has been if I can’t rip you off as a foreigner then I’d rather not sell it. My solution was always send a Thai friend to buy it for you.

I was not serious about punching them but it triggers an internal agitation response.

I feel quoting double price is insulting.  When bartering i wont quote half price because i feel its rude.  Thais should be more polite in their negotiating imo. Gives off the appearance they are okay with ripping off polite visitors to their country without shamre

• Like 1

2 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

Taught me a lesson a fool and his money are soon parted - at least I know it's real and bought at the rrp. Like another said the Lazada could be a copy !

The answer is at hand - Thai rubber pillows!

“This project aims to produce 30 million rubber pillows valued at Bt18 billion to distribute to poor people nationwide,”

Is that around 1,600 baht each?

source: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1139611-agriculture-ministry-to-produce-rubber-pillows-to-help-farmers/  

Before I lived in Bangkok I used to be at the local market for all my fruit buying and mostly stuck with the same traders . The woman I bought mangoes from would sometimes see me approaching and made eyes at me to keep away. She didn’t want the Bangkok customers to see me getting a better deal than they were getting. It’s not just us, they happily rip each other off too!

Edited by Fairynuff
Typo

I've always disliked bargaining in any country I travel to. Regardless of how polite both parties are, it still feels like a mild form of confrontation to me and I don't like confrontations.

I think bargaining can be unfair because often the party that gets the better of the deal is the one that is better informed, a slick-talker, or willing to be more rude or overbearing. Why should customer-A get a better price for the same product simply because he is a better talker or more persuasive than customer-B?

When I approach a vendor I try to have the price in mind that locals pay or I'm willing to pay. I don't start with, "How much is that?", because that opens the opportunity to bargain. Instead I start with, "Fifty baht for that, right?" If they agree I take it, if they don't I walk away. If they change their mind and try to call me back I generally ignore them because I don't like that they tried to take advantage of me in the first place so I don't want to give them my business.

If I have no clue what the price should be I'll often tell them I don't like bargaining so just pretend we've already done that, give me your very best price and I'll agree or disagree. That rarely works well as they generally begin the process of bargaining anyways. Having a good attitude and being friendly goes a long way regardless of your strategy.

• Like 1