Got a pink ID card today, no trouble

4 hours ago, Pib said:

I have found having a Pink Card just seems to smooth the road for certain things....makes the Thai entity you are dealing with feel more comfortable that you are resident of Thailand....have a ID card that looks very similar to their Thai ID card...have a ID card issued by the Thai govt. 

I generally agree but would place the appearance of 'road smoothing' may be also attributed to their not knowing what it is, being ignorant of it's validity or purpose and looking silly if they need to ask a peer for advice on its acceptability. That and possibly opening a can of worms if they do use it so they smile nicely (making you feel more comfortable) and settle for using the info in the passport, yellow book, Thai DL or (if applicable) embassy or Immigration residence certificate.

On 12/19/2019 at 12:40 PM, Pib said:

Yeap...that's the way it went for me several years ago here in my Bangkok district (khet) office.   However, it didn't get easy-to-get the Pink Card until a few years ago with a policy change nationwide.  I have a neighbor who works in my district office which the wife and I talked to at least once a week here in my moobaan.  The neighbor actually works in the office section that issues ID cards.   We would talk things like getting a Pink Card since I already had a Yellow Book...the answer was always can't do the PInk Card.  But after the policy change and everyone was getting Pink Cards pretty easy the neighbor mentioned that it's now a "can do" in easily getting the Pink Card due to the policy change.  So, about a week later I went to my district office with my Yellow Book and got the Pink Card with no resistance....only took about 20 minutes.  

Please may I see what this pink card looks like...(please blank the personal information!) Thanks

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

We had many threads about this already, getting the pink id card if you are registered in a yellow house book is easy.

The difficult part is, depending on the amphoe, to get yourself registered in a yellow house book.

Please could you tell me the procedure.have a house, marriage papers from 2005,have marriage based extension of stay..(my wife tried once and the guy was unhelpful (probably cause he didn't want to help!). Thanks..

6 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Yes, got mine too about a month ago in Chonburi province. Quick process but big queues. Found it useful for ID in hotels over the last month. 

I use my driving licence for that, never seen the need to add yet one more card to my wallet. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I use my driving licence for that, never seen the need to add yet one more card to my wallet. 

Hotels or guesthouses are not allowed to accept the pink ID-Card when checking in a foreigner. The important info is in the passport and on the TM6-card. They can't use the pink ID-card if they are going to do the TM30 report online. A lot of thai think the pink ID-card  is a proof of permanent residency. It's just a proof of having a yellow house book. That's all. FYI, you're not allowed to check into a hotel using your DL, either. 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Hotels or guesthouses are not allowed to accept the pink ID-Card when checking in a foreigner. The important info is in the passport and on the TM6-card. They can't use the pink ID-card if they are going to do the TM30 report online. A lot of thai think the pink ID-card  is a proof of permanent residency. It's just a proof of having a yellow house book. That's all. FYI, you're not allowed to check into a hotel using your DL, either. 

All of the above is correct.

However, they can choose to ignore what they are "not allowed" to do. They're not supposed to and they may not like doing it... but they can.

YMMV

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

All of the above is correct.

However, they can choose to ignore what they are "not allowed" to do. They're not supposed to and they may not like doing it... but they can.

YMMV

Yes, you're right. But there are many foreigners here who seems to think that a pink ID-card makes you a Thai. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I love my pink card. Also works at national parks, to help you get the Thai rate for entrance, hotels, etc. I never carry my passport, and never will. Have a color copy in my wallet. That is it. And my Thai licenses. 

Pink card didn't work for me at Khao Yai national park a few weeks ago. 400 Baht. Ouch! (gf paid 40 Baht) 

13 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Pink card didn't work for me at Khao Yai national park a few weeks ago. 400 Baht. Ouch! (gf paid 40 Baht) 

The pink ID-card doesn't officially work at national parks or anywhere else where they have dual pricing. It did work a while ago, but I read an article in the newspaper earlier this year, and some thai officials said "No more". Some thai thinks the pink ID-card is a proof of permanent residency. 

44 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

And yet many of us manage to continue to check in to hotels with the card. Weird innit. Anyone would think this is Thailand or something.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

And yet many of us manage to continue to check in to hotels with the card. Weird innit. Anyone would think this is Thailand or something.

You can check in because some hotels/guesthouses don't care about the TM30 report. That's all. When you eventually find out where the pink ID-card is officially useful, you'll be very disappointed. 

6 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Now i am interested whats the cost of this Pink card?

60 baht from me at Amphur office, Hang Dong, Chiang Mai.

Used it at Fang National Park Hot Springs.500 baht entry for foreigners 50 baht for Thais             I got Thai price making me 440 baht in front after 2 weeks.

Since then used many times for checking in at resorts .Thais love it. its a novelty for them.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I manage to check into some hotels with my Thai driving license, or no ID at all. This is possible because some hotels just don't care.

If a hotel follows the law they won't let you stay there unless you present your passport.

Edited by jackdd

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The pink ID-card doesn't officially work at national parks or anywhere else where they have dual pricing. It did work a while ago, but I read an article in the newspaper earlier this year, and some thai officials said "No more". Some thai thinks the pink ID-card is a proof of permanent residency. 

so what is the point of it and in having one? I just don't get it. 

Funny that, I have used my DL to check into hotels  for the past 3 years.   I have never been asked for a passport. That includes a number of 5 star Bangkok hotels.  

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I love my pink card. Also works at national parks, to help you get the Thai rate for entrance, hotels, etc. I never carry my passport, and never will. Have a color copy in my wallet. That is it. And my Thai licenses. 

They are useful but only valid in the Chang wat ( county) it was issued. 

You can check in because some hotels/guesthouses don't care about the TM30 report. That's all. When you eventually find out where the pink ID-card is officially useful, you'll be very disappointed. 

Well you know what, it’s officially been pretty useful up to now so I’ll let you know when you can legitimately gloat. It seems to be terribly important to you to be right.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

I manage to check into some hotels with my Thai driving license, or no ID at all. This is possible because some hotels just don't care.

If a hotel follows the law they won't let you stay there unless you present your passport.

Yep you’re absolutely right, lots of hotels, banks, phone companies, parks and government agencies just don’t seem to care

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I doubt you ever will....or the card

so please do educate me.  if you can't use it to prove your residency, or your visa status; if it can't be used to book into hotels, or to get into Thai attractions at Thai prices; if banks don't accept it, then please tell me what is the point of having one and what advantages does it have over a normal DL. 

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

so please do educate me.  if you can't use it to prove your residency, or your visa status; if it can't be used to book into hotels, or to get into Thai attractions at Thai prices; if banks don't accept it, then please tell me what is the point of having one and what advantages does it have over a normal DL. 

You can use it for all of the above except visa status as its not an immigration document. I have used it to get the thai price, I have registered SIMs, booked into hotels, opened bank accounts (it is then the ID to operate that account as opposed to opening with a passport). It replaces passport if its used as the "initial" ID for licence, bank account, airlines etc. If you get a license or open an account with a passport then the pink ID isnt a relevant ID.

Edited by Peterw42

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

No not a true statement there.

I have never had to use my passport to check into any hotel anywhere in Thailand. Yes they ask for it I produce the pinko and always but always accepted.