Got a pink ID card today, no trouble

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I love my pink card. Also works at national parks, to help you get the Thai rate for entrance, hotels, etc. I never carry my passport, and never will. Have a color copy in my wallet. That is it. And my Thai licenses. 

I thought very recently the government told the parks department they were to give the Thai price to Thai nationals only, irrespective of what card you may have.

The pink card does say 'ID for people without Thai nationality'.

I don't know how they handle it for those with permanent residency and therefore a Thai ID card?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I thought very recently the government told the parks department they were to give the Thai price to Thai nationals only, irrespective of what card you may have.

The pink card does say 'ID for people without Thai nationality'.

I don't know how they handle it for those with permanent residency and therefore a Thai ID card?

A friend of mine who recently got his card, says it is working at the national parks. I suppose as usual, this administration is sending confused, haphazard, and inconsistent messages. That is how they roll. But, some are allowing, and it is the right thing to do. I refuse to pay the foreign rate at the parks. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:
5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

They do not get a Thai ID card. They can only get the same pink ID card others can get.

I stand corrected.

I always thought the same as you UJ, but read recently that someone with permanent residency could apply for a Thai ID card, (even though they're not Thai), so that must incorrect then.

My friend who has had permanent residency for forty years, was voluntarily told by the staff at the amphur he could apply for a Thai ID card too - he didn't request it himself.

The woman processing his 'Thai' ID card application was constantly told the system wouldn't accept the application, and she couldn't understand why.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

We had many threads about this already, getting the pink id card if you are registered in a yellow house book is easy.

The difficult part is, depending on the amphoe, to get yourself registered in a yellow house book.

Sorry if I missed the older posts about the pink card getting easier. 

As for the yellow house book, that was also no problem at my district office in Bangkok, armed with passport, deed (chanote), the Land Office transfer form, and a Thai witness with ID card. (The house registration office, at the time, had advised me NOT to get the the pink ID card... but the actual ID card department was quite happy to issue one to me!)

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, PaulDee said:

What about those of us who do not own a house so have no house registration card?

How do we comply?

You MUST be registered in a yellow house registration book to get the pink ID card. I doubt there's any way around that, just as the Thai people need to show a blue house registration book to get their ID card.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I love my pink card. Also works at national parks, to help you get the Thai rate for entrance, hotels, etc. I never carry my passport, and never will. Have a color copy in my wallet. That is it. And my Thai licenses. 

Just do not waste your time going to the Nana Hotel in Bangkok.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, peter14 said:

Totally useless.. I never use anymore. They beg for passport all the time so we loose passport and they will smile at you.. so card in the antique box

Perhaps it’s you rather than the card! Everyone else seems to be doing ok with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I never carry my passport, and never will. Have a color copy in my wallet. That is it. And my Thai licenses.

You must not travel a lot then... :ermm:

By example the bus who goes from Chanthaburi to Sa Kaeo has very often to stop at a military checkpoint not far from the Cambodian border. Immigration Officers climb on board and ask everyone for his ID.

If you are a foreigner, they want to see your passport to check that you are in regular situation. If you are not - or don't have yours -  you are in trouble and invited to get off the bus... :sad:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Letseng said:

How does one get a pink ID when living in a serviced apartment?

The owner /housemaster would have to apply for a yellow house book and register you in it. The chance that he would do this for you is close to zero so just forget about it.

On 12/19/2019 at 12:40 PM, Pib said:

Yeap...that's the way it went for me several years ago here in my Bangkok district (khet) office.   However, it didn't get easy-to-get the Pink Card until a few years ago with a policy change nationwide.  I have a neighbor who works in my district office which the wife and I talked to at least once a week here in my moobaan.  The neighbor actually works in the office section that issues ID cards.   We would talk things like getting a Pink Card since I already had a Yellow Book...the answer was always can't do the PInk Card.  But after the policy change and everyone was getting Pink Cards pretty easy the neighbor mentioned that it's now a "can do" in easily getting the Pink Card due to the policy change.  So, about a week later I went to my district office with my Yellow Book and got the Pink Card with no resistance....only took about 20 minutes.  

Weren't the pink ID-cards released after the coup in 2014?