Got a pink ID card today, no trouble

34 minutes ago, fourpack said:

No not a true statement there.

I have never had to use my passport to check into any hotel anywhere in Thailand. Yes they ask for it I produce the pinko and always but always accepted. 

It was a true statement. If you never had to show your passport at any hotel,then you haven't stayed at a proper hotel in a big city in Thailand. The law says every hotel and guesthouse have to ask for the passport to be able to do the TM30 report. The pink ID-card is not officially allowed when checking in. If they allow it, the staff in the reception don't care about the TM30 report,that's all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

No not a true statement there.

I have never had to use my passport to check into any hotel anywhere in Thailand. Yes they ask for it I produce the pinko and always but always accepted. 

This just means they don't follow the law.

Someone working in a hotel or guesthouse posted last year what details must be entered with the online notification of the arrival of foreign guests and I remember that they were a lot fewer than what is listed on page 2 of the TM.30 form.

I should think, though, that the passport number is essential with the online reporting but who knows, perhaps the ID card is good enough for immigration. Hopefully, somebody with firsthand experience with this will post a clarification.

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

Someone working in a hotel or guesthouse posted last year what details must be entered with the online notification of the arrival of foreign guests and I remember that they were a lot fewer than what is listed on page 2 of the TM.30 form.

I should think, though, that the passport number is essential with the online reporting but who knows, perhaps the ID card is good enough for immigration. Hopefully, somebody with firsthand experience with this will post a clarification.

Here a screenshot somebody once posted on Thaivisa. As we can see passport number and TM6 number are required, which they don't get from a pink id card.

TM30_ForeignGuestReporting_Step04_Provid

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You can use it for all of the above except visa status as its not an immigration document. I have used it to get the thai price, I have registered SIMs, booked into hotels, opened bank accounts (it is then the ID to operate that account as opposed to opening with a passport). It replaces passport if its used as the "initial" ID for licence, bank account, airlines etc. If you get a license or open an account with a passport then the pink ID isnt a relevant ID.

so in complete contradiction to what others have said on this post. I'm not suggesting that you are wrong, just that someone must be. I often wonder if it's even worth signing on to TVF  and reading posts,  as you rarely learn anything worth knowing, or that you can trust to be the whole truth, bar what Ubon Joe has to say. . 

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

All of the above is correct.

However, they can choose to ignore what they are "not allowed" to do. They're not supposed to and they may not like doing it... but they can.

YMMV

Use a curtain hotel and they don't ask for anything except the money.

• Haha 1

The REAL reason why I got the pink ID card is that I have trouble each time I renew the driver's license.  They put me through hell with the peripheral vision test.  Each time, I fail miserably (they let you do it twice), then come back again (within 90 days of the failed exam) and do it again.  I fail again.  The officer is typically unpleasant to deal with (typically, typically), but at the end they give me the driver's license!  This usually requires the supervisor.  Just not sure I want to go through that again.  And, no, I don't use a car in this country.  Quite happy to avoid being part of a nasty statistic and to avoid some of the erratic behavior on roads here.  

18 minutes ago, heretostay said:

The REAL reason why I got the pink ID card is that I have trouble each time I renew the driver's license.  They put me through hell with the peripheral vision test.  Each time, I fail miserably (they let you do it twice), then come back again (within 90 days of the failed exam) and do it again.  I fail again.  The officer is typically unpleasant to deal with (typically, typically), but at the end they give me the driver's license!  This usually requires the supervisor.  Just not sure I want to go through that again.  And, no, I don't use a car in this country.  Quite happy to avoid being part of a nasty statistic and to avoid some of the erratic behavior on roads here.  

How does the pink ID help you pass the test or get license ? Are they more lenient with pink ID rather than passport ?

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

How does the pink ID help you pass the test or get license ? Are they more lenient with pink ID rather than passport ?

The two are unrelated.

I feel more comfortable having an official Thai government issued ID on me, since I prefer not to carry my passport with me.  The pink ID simply replaces the driver's license for that purpose.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that a yellowbook/pink ID is a separate ID to passport/Res cert. "Its one or the other", not both.

You can get a license and renew it using a pink ID but you cant renew a license obtained using passport, and vica versa. You can open and operate a bank account with a pink ID (name in Thai) but you cant operate a passport opened account with a pink ID. The same at the airport, if your booking is in English then you cant present a pink ID (name in Thai script).

People start with a passport for a bank account (name in English), license (passport number on license) etc, then get confused that the pink ID isn't accepted as ID, of course its not its in another language. Open a bank account with a pink ID and the account name is in Thai, get a license with a pink ID and the ID number is on your license, then its Pink ID to operate/renew.

It all comes down to the document you initially used for bank, license etc. If you used a passport then that is the document to operate, renew etc. If you initially used a Pink ID for bank, license etc then that is the document to operate, renew etc.

that all gives me a headache. 

12 minutes ago, heretostay said:

The two are unrelated.

I feel more comfortable having an official Thai government issued ID on me, since I prefer not to carry my passport with me.  The pink ID simply replaces the driver's license for that purpose.

I never carry my passport with me, except when going to immigration or travelling outside the country. 

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

In it's present form the pink ID cannot be any use to immigration, due to the name on the card being in Thai and immigration use your name in the Latin alphabet from your passport.

Now if only the pink ID card had the name in English and Thai, same as the Thai ID card does, then it might work.

As has already been said, transliteration from English to Thai is subjective and therefore cannot be translated back from Thai to English to see the original spelling accurately.

As an aside, when my stepson had his first Thai passport, his name was spelt in English, following his ID card name in English.

His first name is พลวัต (Polawat). The amphur translated it as Phonwat which makes it read in English nothing like his name in Thai.

We went to the ID card office in the amphur who fortunately were quite happy to change the English on his ID card to Polawat. When he renewed his passport, the new one reflected the new spelling as well.

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I never carry my passport with me, except when going to immigration or travelling outside the country. 

Same as me old friend. Losing a passport is a huge hassle, just crazy to carry it with you everywhere and increase that risk tenfold. I've been here near on 20 years and never ONCE randomly been asked to show my passport, but hey, TV knows best.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pilotman said:

so please do educate me.  if you can't use it to prove your residency, or your visa status; if it can't be used to book into hotels, or to get into Thai attractions at Thai prices; if banks don't accept it, then please tell me what is the point of having one and what advantages does it have over a normal DL. 

Like I said you never will. I don’t know why it bugs you so much, but you prefer to think it’s useless when others have told you it works in all the examples you say it doesn’t. Get over yourself and find something else to grumble about 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

Like I said you never will. I don’t know why it bugs you so much, but you prefer to think it’s useless when others have told you it works in all the examples you say it doesn’t. Get over yourself and find something else to grumble about 

I seem to bug you; it doesn't. If you read the posts they seem to be evenly split on the usefulness of the card.  It is also mildly amusing to see westerners scrambling about to become more 'Thai'.  

6 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Same as me old friend. Losing a passport is a huge hassle, just crazy to carry it with you everywhere and increase that risk tenfold. I've been here near on 20 years and never ONCE randomly been asked to show my passport, but hey, TV knows best.

Tarquin tells me at our coffee mornings that he doesn't carry his either . ????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Max69xl said:

It was a true statement. If you never had to show your passport at any hotel,then you haven't stayed at a proper hotel in a big city in Thailand. The law says every hotel and guesthouse have to ask for the passport to be able to do the TM30 report. The pink ID-card is not officially allowed when checking in. If they allow it, the staff in the reception don't care about the TM30 report,that's all. 

Whether what you say is true or not is irrelevant. The fact is hotels and other places DO accept it, which as far as I’m concerned makes it useful. It also doesn’t matter if your DL can do all the same things because the discussion is about the pink card.

36 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I seem to bug you; it doesn't

Not at all, you're an amusement to kill a bit of time. Your desperation to always be right does make you look a bit foolish though. Do I care that you don’t believe that the card has been useful to me? Why would I? Like I said you’re there to amuse not to care about.

Edited by Fairynuff
Typo

On 12/20/2019 at 9:06 AM, ivor bigun said:

Same here in Chonburi ,no problem ,but drivers licence more use ,still nice to have one ,when i showed it at Banglamung hospital ,she seemed impressed ????

I showed mine to the guy who I buy rotis from. He was also impressed that farang could get the same as Burmese migrant workers. ????

What annoys me is when people say they got a Thai ID card, which it is not.

Edited by Neeranam

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Recently, they wouldn't accept my pink non thai card to renew my DL. The yellow book was asked for.

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Recently, they wouldn't accept my pink non thai card to renew my DL. The yellow book was asked for.

That seems reasonable.

All Thais (in Udon anyway) renewing their licence take a copy of their house registration and ID card, both on one sheet of A4 - per licence renewal application (i.e. one each for motorbike & car).

24 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I showed mine to the guy who I buy rotis from. He was also impressed that farang could get the same as Burmese migrant workers. ????

What annoys me is when people say they got a Thai ID card, which it is not.

Not the same. The process for issuing a Migrant workers card is completely different. Migrant workers are not listed in a Tabien Baan, blue or yellow.

• Like 1