Divorcing - Options on Visa ?

I have been living in Thailand for 10 years, married to a Thai and have an 8 year old Thai son. Always get 1 year non immigrant extension based on being married to a Thai. We are to divorce soon (divorce the wife, not the son) !!  So I guess the extension based on marriage won't be possible any more. My pal tells me I can apply for 'retirement visa' instead as I am 53 as long as I can show over 800,000 in a Thai bank for 6 months. Does this sound the best/only option?  Another pal said I could get the extension based on the fact that I take care of my son financially but this would involve the wife (who is a pain the <deleted>)

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

You could apply for an extension based upon being the parent of Thai. Same financial proof as needed for one based upon marriage.

It would make it easier if you can get full custody of your son but it can be done with joint custody.

You ex wife would not have to be involved for you to get the extension other than having his birth certificate and a copy of his house book registry.

Your current extension will end on the day your divorce is finalized.

For an extension based upon retirement the 800k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for an extension based upon being the parent of Thai. Same financial proof as needed for one based upon marriage.

It would make it easier if you can get full custody of your son but it can be done with joint custody.

You ex wife would not have to be involved for you to get the extension other than having his birth certificate and a copy of his house book registry.

For an extension based upon retirement the 800k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months.

42 minutes ago, PATRICK ALLWRIGHT said:

Thanks very much. I guess the retirement extension sounds easier to me as then I am totally independent of the wife in the future.  

That will probably be the best choice as long as you can accept the amount and the rules for the money part.

That will definately make you Pat All(w)right in Thailand. ????

54 minutes ago, fishtank said:

The 800K has to be in the bank for a period of 3 months after application.

It then can be taken down to 400K until next year.

2 months as per the new rules. I would imagine in some cases depending on the immigration office you are dealing with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, fishtank said:

3 months as per new rules.

Royal Thai police order 35/2561 January 2019

2.22 Retirement

Each person shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) Must have a non immigrant visa

(2)Must be 50 years of age or over

(3)Must have evidence of income of 65,000  or;

(4)At least 2 months prior to filing date, and at least 3 months after being granted permission, the alien must have deposited in a bank in Thailand no less than 800,000 baht.The Alien can withdraw the fund 3 months after being granted permission and the remaining balance must have 400,000 baht.

Section 5 deals with annual earnings and mixed deposits with a Thai commercial bank.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, ubonjoe said:

I heard that the wife has still to SIGN some papers like copy of birth certificate and house book...

as this will be on the wife's name only, we farang cannot be on that book...

am I wrong ?

do you need pictures with your child in front of house and inside, same as for marriage extension ?

1 hour ago, justin case said:

am I wrong ?

Yes

You are the only one that needs to sign them since you are the father of your child.

1 hour ago, justin case said:

do you need pictures with your child in front of house and inside, same as for marriage extension ?

Yes you do and possibley some at their school (if old enough) at some offices.

• Thanks 1