CM immigration - going downhill?

48 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

A one year extension should be just some simple checks and a stamp. All they need to verify is that you have the minimum required funds (800k) seasoned for the minimum required period (2 months). This would take you 45 mins? It would take me less than a minute. 
In CM, they do not do batch processing the way you describe. The IO attending to you process the application and affix the appropriate stamp and dates to your passport. Only then is the passport is batched up for a more senior officer’s signature. 
There is also nothing to do at CM immigration other than sit and wait. There isn’t even a coffee shop on the premises. 30 years ago when I had to go to immigration in Singapore, they had TV’s playing Mr. Bean shows. Kept the customers amused. Not to mention that they had enough seating for everyone, something that can’t be said for CM immigration. 

Showing Mr Bean shows, there's a good reason for staying away from Singapore immigration. 

Chiang Mai on the other hand are showing Fragle Rock repeats.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Not sure what country you are from or what sort of experiences you have had at government offices around the world. What I saw at CM immigration this week was definitely an extremely inefficient way to conduct business, all the more because it’s supposedly peak season. 
Say there’s 100 people wanting to renew their extensions of stay. If you only hand out tickets between 7-8 am, you will have 100 people queuing in that 1 hr. However, if you handed out tickets throughout the morning for say 5 hrs, then you will only have an average of 20 people per hour in that queue. Judging from my observations, I would estimate that about 35 tickets for retirement extensions were handed out. I was ticket 24 and was processed by 11:30. So the remaining 11 tickets would have been processed by early afternoon. That would still leave a couple of hours for the two IO’s to pop over the road for a quick massage I guess, before their workday comes to a close. 

Yes, .... and don't forget  WHY  it goes faster when an agent does your  job. Must have some (dubious) reasons?

I'm very happy that I must not go to the CM IMO. It's already many years reading about the the extreme bureaucratic hassles and many times incompetent behavior in this office. Don't want to use the word s...d .

Edited by puck2

15 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

So you get the jist of it...

But many here are rather tight fisted... :coffee1:

Saving thousands of baht on agent fees over the years (among other things) have allowed me to easily meet the financial requirements imposed by the government such that I am able to enjoy a cup of coffee anytime I like. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

CIMB is only able to print the last transaction with the date of said transaction for FD accounts. So for example, if there was a deposit or withdrawal or interest credit on say 04 Dec, that is the date that will appear on the passbook even if you went to the bank on 17 Dec. 
I bank with CIMB because I get around 2% pa on my FD’s and I have privileged banking with them, making my banking issues a lot easier. 

I was in the same situation yesterday in Nonthaburi.  They insisted on the transaction that day (the plus is no queueing in the dark).  I added 10,000 to each of my two fixed book..and was able to do it in the over 55 tax free book.  I did a 6 month at 1.55%, but I am a little annoyed with cimbs inability to grab the situation by the horns.  I was very close to going to their HQ at Chit Lom.

CM IO was easily in the top five reason I left CM, but still a few hassles down here, and CW is just about as bad as CM, with the traffic and the masses.  My three extensions in CM averaged about 8 hours, including transport.  

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

I was in the same situation yesterday in Nonthaburi.  They insisted on the transaction that day (the plus is no queueing in the dark).  I added 10,000 to each of my two fixed book..and was able to do it in the over 55 tax free book.  I did a 6 month at 1.55%, but I am a little annoyed with cimbs inability to grab the situation by the horns.  I was very close to going to their HQ at Chit Lom.

I don’t put any blame on CIMB or any other bank for that matter. Banks do not tailor their processes to please the whims and fancies of some high ranking IO simpleton. A bank letter should more than suffice the need to show a passbook. In fact, none of the last five countries I’ve lived in the past 20-30 years even offer passbooks anymore. This 3rd world country will stay 3rd world forever. 

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

never, I've been married to a Thai since 2003..

When I first came to live in Thailand, I bought my GFs, now my wifes house, and did a nice run to the border every 90 days, a 3 hour drive, then I worked as a school teacher with a work permit for a few years, then married my GF.

What I am trying to say is, like many other expats who was not prepared to put 400.000 Bt in a Thai bank. if today was the same as it was when I first came to live here, I would be able to do a nice road trip to the border every 90 days with no hassle at all, now I think you know the rest.

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, at CW I obtain bank letter on the day of application for extension. I also need to show activity on the day. Since I used an FD account I deposit 2000baht. Minimum deposit for FD account for my bank. 

Anyway point is your moan is about nothing. Just follow what is required.

Drjack54, read what the OP has written before making irrelevant comments. He was told by Immigration he needed to be there between 7.00 and 8.00 a.m.  How is he going to get a bank guarantee letter and update a passbook, which is incidentally a fixed deposit a/c, on the same day as he is doing his extension of stay when the banks are not open at that time. If he waits for the bank to open, he will arrive outside that timeframe and be told to come back the next day, which would mean another trip to the bank and so on. Sounds like CM Immigration is slowly reverting to it's old practices pre Big Joke.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t put any blame on CIMB or any other bank for that matter. Banks do not tailor their processes to please the whims and fancies of some high ranking IO simpleton. A bank letter should more than suffice the need to show a passbook. In fact, none of the last five countries I’ve lived in the past 20-30 years even offer passbooks anymore. This 3rd world country will stay 3rd world forever. 

"Should" is not worth saying, here.  It is common that they don't understand banking.  Three years ago, cimb forgot to put the account number...wasted trip, I did catch the wrong date account was opened, though. This year, wrong date on letter and wrong date on all copies..17th and it was the 18th..had to redo everything..and why did their comment say "low eight figures"..I wish, but corrected that to "not below 800,000.". Then, only to find out at my IO, they don't give a <deleted> about the stamped copies...needed the transaction...and the first time, they didn't give me the computerized page printouts with date and time printed on them.  So while I am glad to take the better interest they pay, you cannot let your guard down for a moment with them..and a lot of banking is confidence...

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Drjack54, read what the OP has written before making irrelevant comments. He was told by Immigration he needed to be there between 7.00 and 8.00 a.m.  How is he going to get a bank guarantee letter and update a passbook, which is incidentally a fixed deposit a/c, on the same day as he is doing his extension of stay when the banks are not open at that time. If he waits for the bank to open, he will arrive outside that timeframe and be told to come back the next day, which would mean another trip to the bank and so on. Sounds like CM Immigration is slowly reverting to it's old practices pre Big Joke.

The OP could of obtained his bank letter day prior. Arrived imm between 8-9am obtained his queue #. Left and make 2k deposit into his FD ac and returned to imm.

I have read these negative comments, questions, and heart breaking stories, regarding CM Immigration day after day, week after week, and month after month for several years.  One would think, the leader of CM Immigration, would think of ways to improve their services, unless they want confusion, sad stories, and westerners just giving up, and either returning to their home countries or exploring less restrictive countries to live in.

While we are on the subject, does anyone have any idea why the new CM Immigration facility doesn't have an elevator?  I saw an eldery western retiree trying to walk to the third floor the other day to report for the TM30, 24 hour requirement.  I helped as well as I could, to assist this person walk up three flights of stairs.  I'm not certain how he got back down unles he jumped.  I didn't read anything about an elderly expat falling three floors in this modern complex.  I'm not certain if immigration would report this or not.    

I asked one of the people sitting behind a desk on the third floor if there was a way elderly retirees could do this incredibly important TM30 requirement without navigating three flights of stairs.  I was told you can do this online but not if you have an Apple computer.  Wow, not if you have an Apple computer?  I can't imagine reporting for the TM30, if you were in a wheelchair.               

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I just cannot understand why people put themselves through all this hassle when they can go through

an agent, especially as there is nothing illegal about it.

What agent do you recommend and what is the charge?

22 minutes ago, moontang said:

"Should" is not worth saying, here.  It is common that they don't understand banking.  The years ago, cimb forgot to put the account number...wasted trip, I did catch the wrong date account was opened, though. This year, wrong date on letter and wrong date on all copies..17th and it was the 18th..had to redo everything..and why did their comment say "low eight figures"..I wish, but corrected that to "not below 800,000.". Then, only to find out at my IO, they don't give a <deleted> about the stamped copies...needed the transaction...and the first time, they didn't give me the computerized page pri touts with date and time printed on them.  So while I am glad to take the better interest they pay, you cannot let your guard down for a moment with them..and a lot of banking is confidence...

Wow. Which branch was this? I had no idea what my branch wrote on the letter. It seemed to me that it was a prepared template as opposed to a made up letter. They told me they are aware of the format required by Cm immigration, they had done it previously for other customers. I took them at their word and fortunately it was accepted by immigration. 
My only complaint (if you can call it that) is that they are as obsessed with photocopies as other banks branches. They must now have tens of copies of my passport (deposits, bank letters etc etc)

5 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I have read these negative comments, questions, and heart breaking stories, regarding CM Immigration day after day, week after week, and month after month for several years.  One would think, the leader of CM Immigration, would think of ways to improve their services, unless they want confusion, sad stories, and westerners just giving up, and either returning to their home countries or exploring less restrictive countries to live in.

While we are on the subject, does anyone have any idea why the new CM Immigration facility doesn't have an elevator?  I saw an eldery western retiree trying to walk to the third floor the other day to report for the TM30, 24 hour requirement.  I helped as well as I could, to assist this person walk up three flights of stairs.  I'm not certain how he got back down unles he jumped.  I didn't read anything about an elderly expat falling three floors in this modern complex.  I'm not certain if immigration would report this or not.    

I asked one of the people sitting behind a desk on the third floor if there was a way elderly retirees could do this incredibly important TM30 requirement without navigating three flights of stairs.  I was told you can do this online but not if you have an Apple computer.  Wow, not if you have an Apple computer?  I can't imagine reporting for the TM30, if you were in a wheelchair.               

Saving grace is that the person in question does not have to be personally present for TM30. If I’m feeling generous, I drive my gf to make the report while I sit in the car with the aircon on. Else, I just send her off on the bike (after she’s made me my coffee) by herself lol

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Wow. Which branch was this? I had no idea what my branch wrote on the letter. It seemed to me that it was a prepared template as opposed to a made up letter. They told me they are aware of the format required by Cm immigration, they had done it previously for other customers. I took them at their word and fortunately it was accepted by immigration. 
My only complaint (if you can call it that) is that they are as obsessed with photocopies as other banks branches. They must now have tens of copies of my passport (deposits, bank letters etc etc)

First screwups were at cm airport branch...it was a Monday, and that is the day off for the boss...and they said I had to go to my home branch, so could not use the one on suthep, which is now closed..this week, I was at the Mahanak branch, because my branch at Thewet is also closed, but she told me I could do it at any branch.  They do have a basic template, but they do not understand the minimal modifications required..I would like to say it is great doing business with them, but I really can't, even though it is a great ATM card...no fees anywhere..and I used to have a crush on miss Kwan...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I have previously read all the horror stories as well which is why I was so pleasantly surprised last year when I went. I was even motivated to praise them publicly on TV. Sadly, can’t say the same this year. Bring back Big Joke I say.....

Please be very careful mentioning anything about "Big Joke."  

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

First screwups were at cm airport branch...it was a Monday, and that is the day off for the boss...and they said I had to go to my home branch, so could not use the one on suthep, which is now closed..this week, I was at the Mahanak branch, because my branch at Thewet is also closed, but she told me I could do it at any branch.  They do have a basic template, but they do not understand the minimal modifications required..I would like to say it is great doing business with them, but I really can't, even though it is a great ATM card...no fees anywhere..and I used to have a crush on miss Kwan...

I bank with the RuamChok branch. The officer there is cute too but she’s married with 2 kids, as per her LINE account. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I bank with the RuamChok branch. The officer there is cute too but she’s married with 2 kids, as per her LINE account. 

We should do a survey or contest...best bank for great looking tellers...that would really <deleted> off the nanny staters, where it is almost a crime to compliment women on their appearance.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

On top of that,banking with CIMB and having a Fixed Deposit Account, and the need to make a deposit to be able to update the bank book. What's that about? At Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank (probably at other banks as well) you can update a FDA bank book using the update machines without a deposit. 

30 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

TM30 weekends is on the ground floor. Waltzed in there 2 Saturdays back straight from the airport at 1100 and there was just 2 immigration officers there, not another soul to be seen.

CM Immigration only gives you 24 hours to report for your TM30.  People can't always go to immigration on the weekends.  During the week, they don't care if you are in a wheelchair.  They want you to climb those three flights of stairs.  

I would say, whoever came up with this loonie 24 hour, TM30 reporting, did it with the hardship it would make on elder retirees.  Why on earth wouldn't they have installed an elevator.  These people had the money for BMW vehicles for their immigration officers.  Think about that vehicle purschase for a minute.      

1 hour ago, Mahseer said:

TM30 weekends is on the ground floor. Waltzed in there 2 Saturdays back straight from the airport at 1100 and there was just 2 immigration officers there, not another soul to be seen.

But not for first time TM30 reports I believe?