Search for missing kayak couple broadens into new areas

snoop1130

Search for missing kayak couple broadens into new areas

By The Phuket News

1576754150_1-org.jpg

The search for the missing couple last seen kayaking off Yanui beach continues into new areas. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET:-- A further team was dispatched earlier today (Dec 19) as the search for the missing couple last seen kayaking on Dec 7 off Yanui beach continues and broadens into new areas.

Polish tourist Mateusz Juszkiewicz, 26, and Thai national Werakan Siriprakon, 23, from Nakhon Sawan disappeared on Dec 7 when kayaking with friends.

A comprehensive search has been ongoing ever since but to no avail thus far.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/search-for-missing-kayak-couple-broadens-into-new-areas-74056.php#KvRZ4cGfgsqxUE0B.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-19

12 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Sad to say .... they might never be found if blown into Indian Ocean.

There was a very strong north easterly blowing on the day. First land in that direction is Banda Aceh on Sumatra.

After nearly two weeks missing I see search teams are now resorting to walking along island beaches calling their names. The search seems to be more about the relatives and the Polish Consul at this stage.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

There was a very strong north easterly blowing on the day. First land in that direction is Banda Aceh on Sumatra.

After nearly two weeks missing I see search teams are now resorting to walking along island beaches calling their names. The search seems to be more about the relatives and the Polish Consul at this stage.

Maybe they can still find the kayak which must be floating somewhere, that might give an indication of where they were last?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe they can still find the kayak which must be floating somewhere, that might give an indication of where they were last?

It could be in thousands of square miles, it could be damaged, have sunk. I'm afraid they'll never be found, and consequently (but far less important) we'll never know what happened.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I know it's ok saying now, could these kayaks be fitted with a GPS?

If they had brought their mobile phones a signal could probably have been traced early on but by now, the batteries would be dead.  More likely they didn't bring them unless they had a good dry bag.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dddave said:

If they had brought their mobile phones a signal could probably have been traced early on but by now, the batteries would be dead.  More likely they didn't bring them unless they had a good dry bag.

Hmm, so how did he call his friends saying they could not get back to shore anymore?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

That's actually not a bad idea.

Or maybe a gps wristband should become as standard as a rescue vest, for tourists playing water sports. This could be a great project for thailand to polish it's image ????

In the case below, the body was found very far away from where the kayak was found:
https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/missing-kayakers-search-continues-man-woman-confirmed-dead

On 12/21/2019 at 6:20 AM, ChipButty said:

I suppose its possible to install on kayak , or even on a lifejacket. Would not expect any rental businesses to do so. Would be up to the individual. After the fact there are always the what ifs. For starters they did not plan their return trip in order to reach mainland before dark. Even in calm conditions it would be a little risky going across that channel in darkness. If they were in distress in the afternoon much better odds on rescue.  Even after dark they would have had a chance for rescue if they had marine flares which im sure are available in Phuket.  Then there is the capability factor: Being from Poland I doubt he had very much ocean experience whatsoever. Im pretty sure the locals and anyone with even limited experience could have powered through that current. On subject just about all the drownings in Phuket seem to be Russians and Chinese. Never heard of an Australian or Californian drowning in Phuket. Photo is from the Similan Island where I visited for a few days. I had read about very strong/dangerous  tidal currents there. But I did alot of swimming w/o a problem, no fins too. 

CCF2219-00000.jpg

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

I suppose its possible to install on kayak , or even on a lifejacket. Would not expect any rental businesses to do so. Would be up to the individual. After the fact there are always the what ifs. For starters they did not plan their return trip in order to reach mainland before dark. Even in calm conditions it would be a little risky going across that channel in darkness. If they were in distress in the afternoon much better odds on rescue.  Even after dark they would have had a chance for rescue if they had marine flares which im sure are available in Phuket.  Then there is the capability factor: Being from Poland I doubt he had very much ocean experience whatsoever. Im pretty sure the locals and anyone with even limited experience could have powered through that current. On subject just about all the drownings in Phuket seem to be Russians and Chinese. Never heard of an Australian or Californian drowning in Phuket. Photo is from the Similan Island where I visited for a few days. I had read about very strong/dangerous  tidal currents there. But I did alot of swimming w/o a problem, no fins too. 

CCF2219-00000.jpg

I agree to a large extent with your sentiment. But your experience at similans is just that, your experience. In general inside the bays currents will be weak, and currents vary day by day as well, mainly depending on tides. So small tidal difference and swimming inside the bays will mean weak current, if anything.

Bays??  The Similans are 40 miles off shore. Does that photo look like bay ? Experience: body surfer , Boomers 2 years while at San Diego State,  Brooks St, for about 20 yrs. San Diego City 40 hour ocean life guard training course. Sure there were  not any challenges in the Similans when I visited but I have been in plenty of rips elsewhere. The point was that someone ocean experienced will know what to do and be able to do it when conditions are bad. 

Edited by morrobay

I don't know if their kayak was different, but the ones for hire on beaches in Thailand are generally little more than plastic beach toys. They are the type that you sit on rather than in. They would not be equipped with all sorts of safety equipment suitable for expeditions.

kayak.JPG 

This is the beach from where they departed to explore that offshore island pictured.

yanui.JPG

It's normally safe and sheltered in that bay, boats often anchor there. On that day there was a strong offshore wind and if they tried to go around the island and got blown out to the west. there is nothing beyond that for 100's of kms. They would have struggled to stay on top of the craft in rough seas.

18 hours ago, freestyle said:

That's actually not a bad idea.

Or maybe a gps wristband should become as standard as a rescue vest, for tourists playing water sports. This could be a great project for thailand to polish it's image ????

In the case below, the body was found very far away from where the kayak was found:
https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/missing-kayakers-search-continues-man-woman-confirmed-dead

Installing a small battery powered GPS is easy. The problem is that it needs to send it’s location to someone on land. For that it needs cellphone reception, which at 10km off shore is non existent. The alternative is broadcasting it via satellite or radio, but then you’re talking big money and large power requirements. Not really possible on a small craft. The best would be to give the renter a handheld radio with a 20km range or so (illegal in Thailand and most countries without a license). 

Edited by Gulfsailor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

I agree to a large extent with your sentiment. But your experience at similans is just that, your experience. In general inside the bays currents will be weak, and currents vary day by day as well, mainly depending on tides. So small tidal difference and swimming inside the bays will mean weak current, if anything.

Sure in the winter months bays should be safe but in summer monsoon months if the swells are coming in at an angle the water will build up in side one point, generate a side rip along the beach, then an outbound current at the other point. If one finds oneself there without fins just relax and go for a ride. And get picked up later. By the way Old Croc, had you been in that kayak where they were would you have made it OK? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

Bays??  The Similans are 40 miles off shore. Does that photo look like bay ? Experience: body surfer , Boomers 2 years while at San Diego State,  Brooks St, for about 20 yrs. San Diego City 40 hour ocean life guard training course. Sure there were  not any challenges in the Similans when I visited but I have been in plenty of rips elsewhere. The point was that someone ocean experienced will know what to do and be able to do it when conditions are bad. 

Yes, plenty of bays at similans.

As I said, I agree with a lot of what you posted.

12 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Sure in the winter months bays should be safe but in summer monsoon months if the swells are coming in at an angle the water will build up in side one point, generate a side rip along the beach, then an outbound current at the other point. If one finds oneself there without fins just relax and go for a ride. And get picked up later. By the way Old Croc, had you been in that kayak where they were would you have made it OK? 

Nobody can tell you they would have been ok without knowing the exact conditions at that location in that point of time.

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, plenty of bays at similans.

As I said, I agree with a lot of what you posted.

Right there are a lot of safe Sandy bays in the Similans and when I was there in a tent campground after some coffee I left the area as fast as possible to hike around the points and along some very remote rocky open coastline . I have photos for sure. Above post, Right. But I sure would like to hear from any locals who have kayaked around there in various challenging conditions. 

Edited by morrobay

Fact of the matter is that tourists are not known with water conditions. Even experienced divers sometimes get swept in currents.

The thing that should be focused on is how tourists in distress can effectively send a clear sign, and how they can quickly be located.
Morrobay also mentioned flares, which i also think is a good idea.

Edited by freestyle

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Rumors have it they are hiding on the island

Police already checked it out.
It turned out to be a french men and a thai woman that were sleeping in a tent near the beach with a kayak next to it.

Also now, apparently there are several rewards, for peope who give tips / help to find / find them.
So probably a lot of useless tips will also be a part of that.

I'm still guessing that currents took them (or their remains) away to another country or far at sea.

https://www.khaosod.co.th/around-thailand/news_3259527

• Like 1

I'm on a bus, using a phone so just an outline. 

It's the same story already reported. The couple with a makeshift shelter and tent on the beach were French and Thai, not Polish and Thai.

The article mentions various levels of rewards, from finding the missing couple's lifejackets to finding the missing couple themselves.

• Like 1