Exclusive: Less than half of all Americans want Trump ousted post-impeachment - Reuters/Ipsos poll

webfact

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The majority support for HRC came from the liberal coasts, not from middle America, didn't it. That's not an overall support from the entire country. Most of the country didn't want her as president.

Have to agree with you that the male dominated 240 years run of male presidency is not coming to an end anytime soon. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

They had no choice. It likely would have taken over a year to force those top insider witnesses through the courts. Of two bad choices, going ahead or being stalled out of doing anything, they made the only logical choice. 

Not to mention that a timely impeachment put an indelible stain on Trump's presidency. Also I would like to note that Nancy Pelosi and the House Democrats can drag this process out for as long as they want by not sending over the articles of impeach for a senate trial. The House Dems will probably wait well into next year before sending them over, if at all. The optics of senate trial during Trump's campaign  should look very good for the Democrats early next fall.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, choff56 said:

Not to mention that a timely impeachment put an indelible stain on Trump's presidency. Also I would like to note that Nancy Pelosi and the House Democrats can drag this process out for as long as they want by not sending over the articles of impeach for a senate trial. The House Dems will probably wait well into next year before sending them over, if at all. The optics of senate trial during Trump's campaign  should look very good for the Democrats early next fall.

I don't think she will hold it very long. A week to a month max I reckon. The thing is to try to push for witnesses and if as expected McConnell won't and/or Romney fails to try to get some republican votes to force a fairer trial at least many more Americans will know by then that the exoneration that 45 seeks will be fake and empty. Not relevant to his base of course because to them the dear leader can do no wrong but for independents and some democrats that voted 45 in 2016. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HuskerDo said:

The deregulation was indeed needed as previous career politicians with NO business background implemented such regulations with no forethought. They didn't understand the ramifications of the regulations they were putting in place. Most were just done for "donors" benefit.

As for the tax breaks for the rich, well, that's a subject that will take a long time to figure out. It's not much different than the tax breaks years ago for the rich (remember the so-called "trickle down" theory?) Give tax breaks to the rich and they'll have more money to invest to make the economy stronger and thus "trickle down" to the regular guy. Why not just give the tax break to the "regular guy" to begin with? 

Then again the US is 20+ trillion in debt so it might not matter who the tax breaks go to as it obviously doesn't help with the national debt.

Some deregulation was needed, but not opening public lands to major oil and lumber companies, the ability to put poisons into streams and lakes, trying to eliminate many consumer protections, censorship of scientists working for the government, air pollution regulations slashed-coal, auto, power plant emissions...allowing more leverage or banks, more private prisons, less oversight of pay day loan sharks...

I mean there there are hundreds more that help businesses 

As far as trickledown, it obviously doesn’t work, or Trump would not be president.  The rich continue to own much more of all assets everywhere 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, choff56 said:

The problem with that scenario is that Dems also have to campaign for re election next year. They can't afford to be tied up in a process that is actually going to assist Trump's re election, IMO. They need to get it out of the way.

optics of senate trial during Trump's campaign  should look very good for the Democrats early next fall

The GOP leadership in the house can just vote without a trial, if they so wish. There are no procedural rules that say they have to have a trial, far as I know.

All this to-and-fro of argument could easily be resolved if, on about October 15th next year, the Chinese announced that all negotiations were to be suspended.

The Dow would collapse and the rest would be....well, anyone's guess.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think she will hold it very long. A week to a month max I reckon. The thing is to try to push for witnesses and if as expected McConnell won't and/or Romney fails to try to get some republican votes to force a fairer trial at least many more Americans will know by then that the exoneration that 45 seeks will be fake and empty. Not relevant to his base of course because to them the dear leader can do no wrong but for independents and some democrats that voted 45 in 2016. 

Regardless, as long as the economy is good, voters usually vote for continuation. The Dems only hope, IMO is for the economy to collapse, or for him to be impeached. However, if they could come up with a reincarnated Jack Kennedy for the election, things might be different.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

A lot of people like lower taxes and deregulation. 

To be clear, as the poor don’t pay income taxes in the US, all income tax cuts are for the rich. 

If the left really cared about the taxes the poor pay, why do the support so many regressive taxes, and so many subsidies for the rich? 

Why is a guy making $60k a year being taxed such that a guy making $250k a year gets a rebate on his  Tesla? 

They have been trying change this for decades.  Where have you been?  The entire tax code needs to be rewritten.  Nobody wants to pay taxes, but they want everything that taxes pay for ????

The rich pay very few taxes either because their money is offshore, or they simply manipulate the system as Donald and his father has.  They all have series of shell companies that can’t be tracked.  Many large corporations don’t pay taxes either, and less is coming in after trump has been in, but spending is up significantly.

I agree, but it seems you have the parties reversed

43 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

To pretend Trump won on his own merits is also a lie. You know it and so do Russia, 

You implied Trump won because Hillary was a woman. 

I said that to claim she lost because she was a woman is a lie.

Now you change the subject. 

Typical 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

I agree, that’s why I was shocked the Republicans were not allowed to call witnesses, particularly given the left’s long history of fairness.

They were allowed to call witnesses. They called people who could not testify anything about what Trump did or not, like the Bidens, and it was logically refused. They also called real witnesses, but they had been already called in before by the Dems (ex. Sondland). Surprisingly enough, they did not call any Trumper in....

Edited by candide
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Redline said:

They have been trying change this for decades.  Where have you been?  The entire tax code needs to be rewritten.  Nobody wants to pay taxes, but they want everything that taxes pay for ????

The rich pay very few taxes either because their money is offshore, or they simply manipulate the system as Donald and his father has.  They all have series of shell companies that can’t be tracked.  Many large corporations don’t pay taxes either, and less is coming in after trump has been in, but spending is up significantly.

I agree, but it seems you have the parties reversed

Who is they? 

What is it they are trying to change? 

So you would support a flat tax? 

That the rich pay no or little taxes is a lie. Look at what percentage of all income taxes are paid by by the to 10% of taxpayers. 

The bottom 40-50% pay no income tax.

What large corporations don’t pay corporate income taxes? Again, this is just a lie. A strong argument can br made that corporate income taxes should be zero, as ultimately it’s the consumer that pays them making them regressive. 

People and companies that cheat on their taxes should be prosecuted, but you seem to want to persecute people that are taking advantage of legal incentives, why? Don’t like the rules, change them, but don’t punish people that follow them. 

I’m all for streamlining the tax code and getting rid of subsidies and deductions, but that’s probably not going to come from the right, and absolutely not going to come from the left. They lose to many votes. People who don’t pay taxes never support cutting taxes, and people that do never support raising them. 

I think everyone should pay the same rate, what do you think?

4 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

So it’s your position that Republicans are NOT part of the whole world, correct? 

What about the three Democrats that voted against impeachment, are the not part of the whole world as well? 

Please tell us more about how stupid they all are...

It would take far too long to tell you more about how stupid they are.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

All this to-and-fro of argument could easily be resolved if, on about October 15th next year, the Chinese announced that all negotiations were to be suspended.

The Dow would collapse and the rest would be....well, anyone's guess.

Why would the Dow collapse if the Chinese announced they would negotiations? 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

Yes, they were only allowed to call witnesses Adam Schiff approved. 

This seems fair, so I’m sure Chuck and Nancy will agree to the same rules. Let’s just use the rules from the impeachment hearing, swap party names and move ahead with it. 

Yes, they had to be approved and the rule was fair: only witnesses who could possibly have witnessed something were allowed to testify. Pro-Trump witnesses were welcomed (ex. Sondland).

I agree that the same rule should be applied during the Senate trial

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am simply looking at the alternatives. Four more years of the human wrecking ball, Warren, or Sanders? Come on. I am a centrist, and do not want either of those two super liberals. Bloomberg is great. He is far sharper than Trump, and just a few years older, but not nearly as feeble, thin skinned, criminal, destructive, or illiterate. Plus, he can negotiate!

I agree that the alternatives appear somewhat meager, they are not easy to market and sell

hence, I'd not be surprised if Trump makes it a 2nd time, provided he survives the ongoing process

You can never trust polls anymore. I trust the odds makers a lot more. Oddschecker currently shows Trump running better than 50% to win a second term, and it actually increased after the impeachment. That would be unlikely if a majority of Americans wanted him gone. So Reuters can have all the polls they want showing yeah or nay. But I think someone putting real money down is probably going to have a more accurate and less biased view.

• Like 2